Map of Bolt EV dealerships with CCS chargers

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 667

PlugShare.com wouldn't let me list Bolt EV dealership with CCS charger locations so I decided to create my own Bolt EV dealer map. The map below was created using Google Maps with Bolt EV Sales and Service dealership locations extracted from Chevrolet.com. There are 1,165 Bolt EV dealerships identified on this map and they ALL should have 24 kW CCS chargers fully function within a few months.

Bolt%20EV%20dealer%20map_1.jpg

If you compare the Bot EV dealership map with the PlugShare CCS map on you will notice that the Bolt EV dealerships, with their CCS chargers, fill a lot of the commercial CCS station gaps. With CCS chargers at Bolt EV dealerships you will now be able to drive from Chicago to Denver and from Texas to Florida only using CCS chargers. And the trip between California and Texas can be negotiated with a only few overnight charges and only charging by CCS during the day.

Since this is a Google Maps database I can share it. If you want me to share this map with you just send me a private message and I will send you the file. Enjoy :D

I rechecked the number of Bolt EV dealers on my map, there are actually 1,169 dealerships on the map. Each one of these dealerships had to spend about $14,000 for their 24 kW CCS chargers. Plus the dealerships had to pay for the training to get their technicians and sales people for the Bolt EV Sales and Service certification.

So the CCS chargers had to cost all the dealerships combined about $168,000,000. The training had to have cost the dealerships at least another $20,000,000. So to round if off, the Bolt EV Sales and Service certification program had to have cost the Chevrolet dealerships around $200,000,000.

Chevrolet has about 3,000 dealerships. So, with about 1,200 of those Chevrolet dealerships being Bolt EV Sales and Service certified, over a third of all the Chevrolet dealerships are planning to and committed to selling Bolt EVs. If you look and the map again you will see that at least the eastern half of the country is saturated with certified Bolt EV Sales and Service dealerships.

We have heard in the past about dealerships not being committed to selling electric vehicles, the map shows that there is a major commitment now from 1,200 Chevrolet dealerships. And GM requiring the dealerships to certified for Bolt EV Sales and Service shows a major commitment from GM and Chevrolet. Now all we need is for the buying public to step up and buy start buying the Bolt EV to reward Chevrolet and its' dealerships for their commitment to electric vehicles.

I added a few commercial CCS charging stations in yellow on the Bolt EV dealership map.

Bolt%20EV%20dealer%20map%20%20CCS.jpg

See the way you can go from Chicago to Denver CCS charging only at Bolt EV dealerships and commercial CCS station? It's also interesting that you can CCS charge from the Pacific Coast CCS corridor deep into Montana.

Here is an excerpt from PlugShare showing CCS charging stations in the southeast of the country. Notice the complete lack of CCS charging stations along most of the Gulf coast and most of Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama.

PlugShare%20SW%20excerpt.jpg

Here is an excerpt of the Bolt EV dealership map showing the same area of the southeastern United States with commercial CCS charging stations shown in yellow. Notice how the location of the Bolt EV dealerships provide complete CCS charging coverage of the Gulf coast. Also notice how the Bolt EV dealerships now offer CCS charging coverage of much of Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama.

Bolt%20EV%20dealers%20SW%20excerpt.jpg

Of course the Bolt EV dealership CCS chargers are slower than the commercial CCS chargers but the Bolt EV dealership CCS chargers are still at least three and a half times faster than L2 charging at RV parks and public charging stations. The Bolt EV dealership CCS chargers make Bolt EV travel practical in areas of the country where there is no other fast charging option. The Bolt EV dealership CCS chargers are going to be indispensable for Bolt EV travel along the gulf coast and in Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama as well as many other parts of the rest of the country for the foreseeable future until the commercial CCS charging network fills out.

Is there a commitment from GM or individual Chevy dealerships to make their chargers available to Bolt owners? I'd be kind of surprised to hear that, actually, although of course I'd be happy to hear that.

We bought our Bolt yesterday and the dealership had one (1) charger that I could see, and it was being used to charge their Bolts. They put ours on it while we did the paperwork because I asked them to.

alienbogey said:
Is there a commitment from GM or individual Chevy dealerships to make their chargers available to Bolt owners?
No.
The CCS chargers are required to become certified Bolt dealers. Most will be installed in the Service area. Best case scenario is that they would be available during normal business hours. Obviously cars being serviced or prepped by the dealer for delivery will have priority. At least some will not make them available to the public at all.

Counting on these stations for long distance travel would be .... adventurous?

24 kW is about equal to charging for an hour for every hour and a half of driving (or less). Plus time to detour from your route to the dealership, negotiate the use of the charger, hang out for a couple of hours (or hope they are near something interesting), return to your route.

I know BoltWanabee desperately wants dealer charging to allow cross country travel. We'll see how that pans out.
Will it be possible? Probably.
Will it be practical? Not in my opinion. Too slow of a charge rate combined with the uncertainty of availability and limited hours .

I lot of people on various forums have disparagingly stated that your can't drive a Bolt EV from Los Angeles to Phoenix. As you can see from the map below, the longest distance between CCS stations crossing the CA/AZ border is only about 260 miles.

PlugShare%20CA%20AZ%20excerpt.jpg

The Bolt EV has a rated range of 238 miles but has been known to travel over 300 miles on a single charge at reduced speed. You could make it going from CA to AZ charging only at CCS stations with reduced speed but there other charging options. The map below shows L2, Tesla S and NEMA 14-50 charging locations between CA and AZ, all of which can charge the Bolt EV.

PlugShare%20CA%20AZ%20excerpt%20W%20L2.jpg

It would take no more than an hour to add an additional 25 miles to the Bolt EV range with a L2, Tesla S and NEMA 14-50 charge. This hour long charge would make a nice little lunch break on a Bolt EV drive between CA and AZ. The Cove RV Resort along the Colorado River is midway between CCS chargers and is actually a popular EV charging location.

If you still only want to CCS charge and don't want to slow down, by the end of the year you should be able to CCS charge between CA and AZ using the I-40 route. As you can see from the map below, there are several Bolt EV dealerships along the I-40 route between LA and Phoenix. All of these Bolt EV dealerships should have 24 kW CCS chargers up and running by the end of the year.

Bolt%20EV%20dealers%20CA%20AZ%20excerpt.jpg

You could make it going from CCS charger to CCS charger along the I-40 route without having to slow down but the distance is further than the direct route along I-10. If I was driving a Bolt EV from LA to Phoenix I think I would take the shorter I-10 route and just take a nice lunch/charging break somewhere near the CA/AZ border. So you see there actually several charging options for the Bolt EV traveling between LA and Phoenix, none of which I would consider a hardship.

BoltWanabee said:
So the CCS chargers had to cost all the dealerships combined about $168,000,000. The training had to have cost the dealerships at least another $20,000,000. So to round if off, the Bolt EV Sales and Service certification program had to have cost the Chevrolet dealerships around $200,000,000.

1169 locations times $14k each is approx $16 million, not $168 million.

That's actually pretty cheap for that amount of coverage.

BoltWanabee said:
I lot of people on various forums have disparagingly stated that your can't drive a Bolt EV from Los Angeles to Phoenix. As you can see from the map below, the longest distance between CCS stations crossing the CA/AZ border is only about 260 miles.

Here is a map of the planned California chargers. They should hopefully come on line within the next year. 4 planned CCS chargers at Baker will make the Vegas trip easy, and a pair of CCS chargers in Blythe and Chiraco summit will fill in the gap to Phoenix.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1VEJLK0-wcAhWV8Q0MirTLULd5mg&ll=37.81957353741522%2C-119.38891739999997&z=6

California is getting very close to full coverage.

Great news on filling in the gaps, but I hope a pair of chargers in Blythe is going to be sufficient and I really hope Chargepoint isn't putting in 25kw chargers and EV owners show some respect by not sauntering off for a 1 hour lunch/dinner when they only need an additional 20 minutes of charge to easily get to their next stop. Two might be fine now but even Tesla recognizes that their far more numerous (and faster) Superchargers need to be beefed up to even higher levels to support Model III's hitting the roads in volume.

Now if only Arizona would get on the ball and put something along their barren stretch of charger free I-10.

BoltWanabee said:
The Bolt EV has a rated range of 238 miles but has been known to travel over 300 miles on a single charge at reduced speed. You could make it going from CA to AZ charging only at CCS stations with reduced speed but there other charging options. The map below shows L2, Tesla S and NEMA 14-50 charging locations between CA and AZ, all of which can charge the Bolt EV.

We should probably take a moment to clarify:

1. Tesla Superchargers cannot charge the Bolt.

2. Tesla Destination Chargers can charge the Bolt if you have QuickCharge Power's soon-to-be-released adapter and the station owner's permission, but Destination Chargers aren't quick chargers; they're more equivalent to a good Level 2.

3. NEMA 14-50 plugs can be used if you have the RV park owner's permission and you either a) buy a semi-portable EVSE that uses a 14-50 plug instead of hard-wiring -- you can buy JuiceBoxes so configured, for example -- and haul it along with you, or b) buy or rent the Jesla adapter from QuickCharge Power, which is more portable but more expensive, and bring it along with you.

So that's one not possible, one possible with a small investment but little advantage, and one possible with a big investment and a big advantage if traveling in the boondocks.

This is about the point I'd be wondering about bringing along a 240 volt portable generator...or just not planning not to drive an EV on the trip. There are some routes especially in the Southwest where even Tesla doesn't have good coverage (Midland TX to Tucson AZ, for example...better plan to visit some RV parks on the way).

HotPotato said:
3. NEMA 14-50 plugs can be used if you have the RV park owner's permission and you either a) buy a semi-portable EVSE that uses a 14-50 plug instead of hard-wiring -- you can buy JuiceBoxes so configured, for example -- and haul it along with you, or b) buy or rent the Jesla adapter from QuickCharge Power, which is more portable but more expensive, and bring it along with you.
...or make up a NEMA 14-50 to 5-15 adapter for around $20 to 30 and use it with the EVSE that comes with the Bolt, which is 240V capable.

SeanNelson said:
...or make up a NEMA 14-50 to 5-15 adapter for around $20 to 30 and use it with the EVSE that comes with the Bolt, which is 240V capable.

Has that been proven?

I know 240V worked with a V - V - Volt car's stock EVSE.

HotPotato said:

2. Tesla Destination Chargers can charge the Bolt if you have QuickCharge Power's soon-to-be-released adapter and the station owner's permission, but Destination Chargers aren't quick chargers; they're more equivalent to a good Level 2.

So that's one not possible, one possible with a small investment but little advantage, and one possible with a big investment and a big advantage if traveling in the boondocks.

This is about the point I'd be wondering about bringing along a 240 volt portable generator...or just not planning not to drive an EV on the trip. There are some routes especially in the Southwest where even Tesla doesn't have good coverage (Midland TX to Tucson AZ, for example...better plan to visit some RV parks on the way).

You're not providing clarification, you're providing disparaging disinformation. I have driven from Texas to Colorado and back in a 1st Gen EV, a round trip distance of about 1,800 miles with almost forty charging stops and I charged at RV parks most of the time. I carried my home charger with me and I plugged it into the 50 amp NEMA 14-50 outlets at the RV parks.

There are enough RV parks that you can travel almost anywhere in the country in a 1st Gen EV, I PROVED IT with my trip from Texas to Colorado and back and many others have proved it driving cross country going from RV park to RV park. ClipperCreek sells the 20 amp LCS-25P for $485, the 24 amp LCS-30P for $515 and 32 amp HCS-40PR for $689, all of which are L2 (SAE J1772 AC Level 2) chargers can plug directly into the NEMA 14-50 outlets found at RV parks. Any EV owner, even a Tesla owner, that's ever going to venture more than a few miles from home shouldn't leave home without being able to charge at NEMA 14-50 outlets because for many parts of the country RV parks are still the only places to charge.

Nobody said anything about Superchargers, I don't know where you get off even mentioning Superchargers in a thread related to the Bolt EV. It looks like the JDapters that allow J1772 cars to plug into Tesla destination chargers are out of stock right now but nobody said anything about JDapters being quick chargers, they were being sold for $399 and I've seen advertisements for JDapters on Insideevs.com for over a year.

It doesn't sound like you have ever driven a long distance in an EV, especially not a non-Tesla EV. It doesn't sound like you know anything about charging at RV parks. You should stick to making posts that you are knowledgeable about and that are relevant to the topic.

gpsman said:
SeanNelson said:

Has that been proven?

Yes, this has been. And I use it often.

BoltWanabee said:
HotPotato said:

You're not providing clarification, you're providing disparaging disinformation. I have driven from Texas to Colorado and back in a 1st Gen EV, a round trip distance of about 1,800 miles with almost forty charging stops and I charged at RV parks most of the time. I carried my home charger with me and I plugged it into the 50 amp NEMA 14-50 outlets at the RV parks.

There are enough RV parks that you can travel almost anywhere in the country in a 1st Gen EV, I PROVED IT with my trip from Texas to Colorado and back and many others have proved it driving cross country going from RV park to RV park. ClipperCreek sells the 20 amp LCS-25P for $485, the 24 amp LCS-30P for $515 and 32 amp HCS-40PR for $689, all of which are L2 (SAE J1772 AC Level 2) chargers can plug directly into the NEMA 14-50 outlets found at RV parks. Any EV owner, even a Tesla owner, that's ever going to venture more than a few miles from home shouldn't leave home without being able to charge at NEMA 14-50 outlets because for many parts of the country RV parks are still the only places to charge.

Nobody said anything about Superchargers, I don't know where you get off even mentioning Superchargers in a thread related to the Bolt EV. It looks like the JDapters that allow J1772 cars to plug into Tesla destination chargers are out of stock right now but nobody said anything about JDapters being quick chargers, they were being sold for $399 and I've seen advertisements for JDapters on Insideevs.com for over a year.

It doesn't sound like you have ever driven a long distance in an EV, especially not a non-Tesla EV. It doesn't sound like you know anything about charging at RV parks. You should stick to making posts that you are knowledgeable about and that are relevant to the topic.

I can walk from San Francisco to San Jose. Many people have done it. That doesn't mean that I want to, or that I would enjoy the experience.

It is possible to drive many, many places in the U.S. with an EV if you are willing to put up with inconveniences. Such inconveniences might bothers some people very little, others a bit, and some very much. You are both right. Let's move on.

gpsman said:
SeanNelson said:

Has that been proven?

Yes, it has. The Bolt comes with the same EVSE as the V - V- Volt. The only downside to using the Bolt's EVSE with a 240V outlet is that it is limited to 12A, which is well under half of the potential power that the car's charger can accept if you had a more capable EVSE and power source.

You ROCK!

I searched forum using different terminology so I drafted a post added photos via DropBox link and went into Preview mode....then got interrupted and closed computer without posting...so I lost the post but then I found your most excellent post that I look forward to reading.

Here are some photos from Capitol Chevy in San Jose, CA:

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/z67gipaq0hh18mi/AACJN5BJ6u4Miq7JSopfW8hOa

Thank you for creating this database!

RBF

BoltWanabee said:
PlugShare.com wouldn't let me list Bolt EV dealership with CCS charger locations so I decided to create my own Bolt EV dealer map.

Do you mean Plugshare wouldn't add all the dealer stations at once? Not the way they work. Assume we can still add them one at a time. Each one will be different in terms of how much access individual dealers allow, if any.

Back