Anyone tried Waze on Android Auto

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cab

I don't own a Bolt, but noticed that anyone can now participate in the Waze beta for Android Auto. Have any of you tried it? I actually think this has the potential to be the first somewhat "killer app" ( at least for a certain subset of drivers), that we will see for either of the phone mirroring platforms (AA and Carplay...although the latter won't get it, at least not any time soon).

I still think Tesla (I own an older Model S) has the UI edge, but most of that just comes down to a big screen and a big Google map. AA and AC are obviously the future, and Waze may be the first real differentiator in that future. Indeed, Google seems to be really pushing AA as they are even offering manufacturers the ability to "skin" AA in the future so they can retain some of their own look and feel AND offer better integration with the car's own systems.

I have tried Waze on my Bolt, and still can't decide which I like better, waze or google maps. I do use and enter advisories on it. I find entering a hazard easier and safer on the Bolt screen than a phone. I have a 3 hour drive tomorrow, and use both at some point.

Waze uses the same amount of screen as all the other Android Auto functions.

It doesn't seem to display the color coding for traffic too boldly, so I don't tend to see any of it while driving. Also a lot of the personalizations are not available. It also seems to waste a lot of the space on the screen, such as the horizon being about 2/3 of the way up.

Still beats GMaps in my book though.

Here's that pic that was requested.

Attachments

• WP_20170619_19_26_55_Rich.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 8,899
I drove with both today. For me, the only advantage of this version Waze is the road alerts people enter, or your ability to enter road hazards. Entering these on the Bolt screen is easier then on a phone. It takes a while for me to get zoomed to the size of map I want. It doesn't have the speed limit display option, nor the warning when exceeding it by some percentage.

Google, to me has a easier to read map. Also, the traffic congestion displays on Google maps is easier to see than Waze. On a previous trip, Google rerouted me to avoid a massive backup. I haven't encountered a similar situation with Waze.

On the whole, both at this time are about equal, but with slightly different features which you may want. I will wait for the next version of Waze

Back