Benefits of OnStar

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

epete

OK, I am new to GM and have never had OnStar. So now that I have this 3 month trial, I am finding I just don't need it or maybe I just dont get it. The only item that may be of value is the data, but would be better in a car that was not an EV as it would get better use on long trips. The data would be reasonable if it carried over, but for short trips, it may not be worth it. Then I think I saw the cost of data is higher if you do not subscribe to the other OnStar services that I don't think I would ever use. Also reading the fine print, I see I need to cancel in three months or they will start to bill me.

Can someone clue me in on the value of OnStar?

My wife likes the a la carte guidance option. It's like $12 a month, I think. Allows her to call up a real person and have the nav data downloaded automatically. I don't have it in mine, but she likes it so OK, fine.

I think it's generally overpriced for what you get.

I'm not aware you need to cancel, I believe it just drops everything beyond the most basic service, but I'm not sure. Nobody else has mentioned this.

It'll cancel unless you gave them your CC data in their "offer" of an additional 3 months free. I was told to avoid that...

michael said:
My wife likes the a la carte guidance option. It's like $12 a month, I think. Allows her to call up a real person and have the nav data downloaded automatically. I don't have it in mine, but she likes it so OK, fine.

I'm not aware you need to cancel, I believe it just drops everything beyond the most basic service, but I'm not sure. Nobody else has mentioned this.

But the Bolt doesn't have NAV, does it? So are you saying they push the address to the Apple Maps or Google Maps and rely's on your smartphone? I had my Samsung Galaxy S7 connected with Andriod Auto for the first time yesterday. I had some problems yesterday but today it was very easy. I just said OK Google take me to... and it just worked. So if guidance is the only item worth while, then I guess I am not missing anything.

Also, I have been very impressed with the GPS on my Samsung. It can be in the middle of the car and locks right in, unlike the old Garmins that needed to be in a window with a clear view to the sky. Yesterday when connected in the Bolt, it seemed to be out of calibration. Off by two streets. Then the lost GPS warning kept popping up. Is there something in the Bolt that degrades the phones GPS? Could the OnSTAR data be causing the problem? I do have the phone set for ultra accuracy which uses WiFi in addition to GPS. I am wondering if the rebroadcasting of the AT&T Wireless LTE Service over WiFi messes up the location service.

gbobman said:
It'll cancel unless you gave them your CC data in their "offer" of an additional 3 months free. I was told to avoid that...

Ah. OK. Thanks.

There's a separate OnStar guidance system. It's not a traditional Nav system with a large map on the central display. Turn by turn directions are pushed from OnStar or the myChevrolet app to the car. You get audio cues only.

devbolt said:
There's a separate OnStar guidance system. It's not a traditional Nav system with a large map on the central display. Turn by turn directions are pushed from OnStar or the myChevrolet app to the car. You get audio cues only.

I know some people prefer a simple turn by turn direction so I guess I understand what the feature was supposed to do. To me, that is a step backwards from using google maps.

In order to have audio cues, I guess it means the OnStar system has a GPS built in but not linked to a map view.

epete said:
devbolt said:

I know some people prefer a simple turn by turn direction so I guess I understand what the feature was supposed to do. To me, that is a step backwards from using google maps.

In order to have audio cues, I guess it means the OnStar system has a GPS built in but not linked to a map view.

Correct. It can also be used to track stolen vehicles.

devbolt said:
epete said:
devbolt said:

Correct. It can also be used to track stolen vehicles.

That is a good feature. So there seem to be three items I like about OnStar

1. track stolen vehicle
2. data
3. Hardware that uses amplified roof antenna which provides better performance than a Smart Phone

epete said:
michael said:

But the Bolt doesn't have NAV, does it? So are you saying they push the address to the Apple Maps or Google Maps and rely's on your smartphone? I had my Samsung Galaxy S7 connected with Andriod Auto for the first time yesterday. I had some problems yesterday but today it was very easy. I just said OK Google take me to... and it just worked. So if guidance is the only item worth while, then I guess I am not missing anything.

Also, I have been very impressed with the GPS on my Samsung. It can be in the middle of the car and locks right in, unlike the old Garmins that needed to be in a window with a clear view to the sky. Yesterday when connected in the Bolt, it seemed to be out of calibration. Off by two streets. Then the lost GPS warning kept popping up. Is there something in the Bolt that degrades the phones GPS? Could the OnSTAR data be causing the problem? I do have the phone set for ultra accuracy which uses WiFi in addition to GPS. I am wondering if the rebroadcasting of the AT&T Wireless LTE Service over WiFi messes up the location service.

It does have Nav, just not the traditional standalone Nav.

You talk to a live person at Onstar, work out with them where you are going, and turn-by-turn nav appears on the dash.

I realize there are other ways to do the job, but this is the one my wife likes, so she gets the service. The point is you are dealing with a person, not Siri and it's easy to clarify where you are going.

I have not renewed Onstar and never used it for navigation. In fact, I don't even use Android Auto. I turn off Bluetooth when I'm in the car because I don't like the way it takes over my phone and drains the battery.

I could use Google maps via Android Auto on the Bolt if I plug it in but I'm "old school" and, when I am not familiar w/the route/destination, I just print out maps of the route/destination in advance, which I commit to memory and carry in the car for reference as needed.

If I need to check the location "live," I just turn on my phone, open location services and scan my current location to get my bearings.

Don't like being otherwise "tech" dependent. Works for me.

The cost may be somewhat mitigated by lower insurance rates if you have a plan that includes stolen vehicle tracking/disabling. Check with your company. Families with teen drivers, or elderly drivers, may also find it comforting to be able to locate the vehicle any time.

See current thread on notifications. Just threw in my two cents worth. Use that onstar button. They are chatty peeps. As far as long term option, I'm at the end of my trial already. Sorta miss some of it. Doing an evaluation right now as to what I want to use...or what I need. Grin

It is handy. The value is in your eyes. We all look at it from different angles.

I use OnStar for the LTE/wifi data only.

Personally, I found OnStar support for actual issues useless.

I realize this is an old thread, but as a new Bolt owner, I am new to and wondering about ongoing OnStar. Plus, you guys all have another year under your belt so might have updated experience from when this was last active.

When I bought the car, I was told I would get +3 months of trial with a Credit Card. So, I did that. I am coming up on 3 months and the account does not reflect the extra 3 months. So, this raises a few questions:

At this point, I expect I will only want the Basic plan (free for 5 years).

* I use Car Play for Navigation, and it uses the in car GPS\Antennna to get better GPS signals according to Apple documentation.
* I have Unlimited LTE with TMo so no need for the Hotspot. I don't plan to use this car in areas where TMo lacks coverage, my ICE will be the long trip car.
* I have AAA for Roadside Assistance, and GM provides RA through the powertrain warranty period.
* I keep the key fob in my pocket at all times, and phone is in a wallet case, so I don't envision ever locking myself out.

In short, I cannot see using any of the services offered in any of the plans other that the Basic tier.

So, do I have to call the 888 number (or Blue OnStar button in car) before the 3 (or 6) month trial ends? No online account management other than adding services that I can see.

If I understand, enabling hotspot on the phone, then connecting the Bolt to the phone network would replace the OnStar LTE connection? And guests could connect to either the phone directly, or the car's hotspot?

from what you are describing i think your cell data is all you need. i have an unlimited plan as well and that is all i use for my bolt.

you should call onstar to cancel. make sure to document who you spoke to. after a couple of days, call back to make sure your account has a cancelled status. onstar charged my credit card on file for 2 months after i cancelled. when i noticed i called them out on it and they did do a refund, but it was a headache hunting down couple of people/department.

Save your money.

I've had two GM EVs and I never found any use for Onstar beyond the ultra basic start-from-the-app feature, which is really only useful when I'm far from the car (finishing lunch and not wanting to go back to a hot car and can't use the keyfob) but other than that, useless. The data is overpriced, and it's not actually satellite, so if you really ARE stranded in the middle of nowhere, it's not going to work anyway.

Regarding nav, I wasn't impressed. Waze on Android Auto is just way too useful in crazy traffic, and to the person who toggles bluetooth, location, and checks map location, I'm guessing you're stopped when this is going on? Also, plug the phone in, or use the Qi charger in the center console - they do wonders for battery life ;)

And as for stolen vehicles? In LA, 1500 cars get stolen every week. Onstar expects to activate slowdown on 600 cars a YEAR. Nationwide? Wooo big deal!!

https://www.wired.com/2008/04/onstars-stolen/

Back