Pigwich

Anything on the 2018 model year?

Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:35 pm

This family is looking to fully ditch gas and get a second Bolt, or in a distant second place, a supposedly long range 2018 Leaf soon. We don't have the stomach to wait for a Model 3.

Does anybody know anything about the 2018 Bolt? I don't imagine there would be huge changes.

Do we wait for the 2018? If even to get a deal on a 2017?

Advice?
(´・(oo)・`)

jbrad4

Re: Anything on the 2018 model year?

Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:00 pm

The plant that makes the Bolt probably won't crank up again after shutdown for re-tooling until the end of Aug or first part of September. I would bet that GM will send the first of the new Bolts to the 10 CARB states (Calif. Air Resources Board) to get their ZEV credits so they can sell ICE vehicles. We probably won't see any 18 Bolts here in Texas until well into 2018. That's why I bought my 2017 Bolt Premier yesterday, instead of trying to wait for an 18 MY Bolt.
-= Jim =-
2017 Bolt EV
Cajun Red Premier
DCFC, Confidence II, Infotainment

iletric

Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:55 pm

Leaf 2. Definitely. Since both will be available at about the same time, you're looking at a more sophisticated car with level 2 auto driving and 8 years of experience of development and delivery of real 100% EVs.

Nissan, in other words, is way ahead of GM in the EV game. Not to mention Bolt's annoying seats and over-tightened suspension, neither of which will, guaranteed, see any improvement.

Either way, you'll get to drive and compare 2 vehicles and pick the one that fits your fancy and your needs.

RickCH

Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:04 am

jbrad4 wrote:The plant that makes the Bolt probably won't crank up again after shutdown for re-tooling until the end of Aug or first part of September.

It's back up and running, some of the people with orders from up here in Canada recently got the build info on their cars with projected delivery dates at the end of the month.

McRat

Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:09 am

iletric wrote:Leaf 2. Definitely. Since both will be available at about the same time, you're looking at a more sophisticated car with level 2 auto driving and 8 years of experience of development and delivery of real 100% EVs.

Nissan, in other words, is way ahead of GM in the EV game. Not to mention Bolt's annoying seats and over-tightened suspension, neither of which will, guaranteed, see any improvement.

Either way, you'll get to drive and compare 2 vehicles and pick the one that fits your fancy and your needs.

Anything could happen, but it appears that much like the Prius Prime, the G2 Leaf is a minor improvement, not an attempt at a world beater.

Supposedly, the G2 Leaf is getting about 147hp which will give it less performance than the 120kW Volt EREVs, but more than the Prius Prime.
But the Bolt EV will mostly likely remain at the next level up in performance unless they derate it.

Predictions of 40 kWh G2 Leaf batteries are impressive only when compared to EVs from the past. Just enough range to still be difficult for long trips.

What is probably going to happen is you will spend less, drive slower, drive less distance, just like in 2017.

Just as hysterical... err... historical reference, the 2017 Leaf has not caught up with the 2011 Volt, and it looks like 2018 for Nissan will change nothing. Slower than any EV GM has made this decade.

iletric

Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:33 am

236 pound-feet of torque

LeftieBiker

Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:47 am

What is probably going to happen is you will spend less, drive slower, drive less distance, just like in 2017.

I'll be driving faster and much farther - more than far enough for my needs - and with Pro Pilot to boot. For me, having a comfortable, roomy, fully competent car is more important than winning stoplight drag races (although I suspect that those will be pretty close anyway).
2018 Nissan Leaf SL with Pro Pilot

2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf modules.

elpwr

Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:27 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:

I'll be driving faster and much farther - more than far enough for my needs - and with Pro Pilot to boot. For me, having a comfortable, roomy, fully competent car is more important than winning stoplight drag races (although I suspect that those will be pretty close anyway).

And for me having the faster, longer range, sharper handling Bolt is more important than having a Leaf which is inferior in all these areas. Everyone has different priorities.

gbobman

Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:34 pm

elpwr wrote:And for me having the faster, longer range, sharper handling Bolt is more important than having a Leaf which is inferior in all these areas. Everyone has different priorities.

I'll second that motion.
2017 Chevy Bolt LT (1st EV!)
2004 Chevy Monte Carlo SS
(found a new home :cry: )

iletric

Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:19 pm

More power to both of you. Your butts and backs fit the Bolt seat and you like the cabin (road) turbulence.

Return to “News and Main Chevy Bolt EV Forum”