Patronus

Re: Anything on the 2018 model year?

Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:44 am

Back to the original question of this thread....

Has anyone heard of Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) being available on 2018 Bolts?

I won't buy another car without it.

Pigwich

Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:29 pm

So we ARE going to take a look at the next generation LEAF 2 next weekend..

National Drive Electric Week Event - Los Angeles
Day: Saturday, September 16, 2017
Time: 10AM - 3PM
1245 N Spring St
Los Angeles, CA 90012

Supposedly they have a LEAF 2. The 40 kwh battery seems lame nowadays though.

I'd kind of rather we get a Bolt instead of a LEAF (two Bolts in the driveway seems funny, but whatever) owing to the longer range and it being a lot less likely that accidentally forgetting to plug in the car is going to leave anybody stranded, but the little lady is itching to get rid of her gas car, and the LEAF has the Pro Pilot, which I sure like the idea of when she's driving home at god-knows-when-o-clock from the hospital after working 12 hours.

We'll see. Maybe some awesome deals will pop up on 2017 Bolts.
(´・(oo)・`)

devbolt

Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:18 am

Patronus wrote:Back to the original question of this thread....

Has anyone heard of Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) being available on 2018 Bolts?

I won't buy another car without it.

Chevy has not released any info regarding when the 2018 Bolts will be available, nor what content it will have. I would not count on ACC being available until they do a refresh of the Bolt in 2 or 3 years. ACC requires a radar unit of some sort and the current body doesn't have a place for it.

Patronus

Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:58 pm

devbolt wrote:Chevy has not released any info regarding when the 2018 Bolts will be available, nor what content it will have. I would not count on ACC being available until they do a refresh of the Bolt in 2 or 3 years. ACC requires a radar unit of some sort and the current body doesn't have a place for it.

So is the autonomous braking in the current cars purely via the video camera in front of the rear-view mirror? It must be. Odd.

SeanNelson

Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:41 pm

winterescape wrote:I think one source of the approx. $8K / car traces back to the UBS margin report published 3/18/2017 http://www.advantagelithium.com/_resources/pdf/UBS-Article.pdf

"We estimate GM loses $7.4k (EBIT) with every Bolt sold today"

The estimates are based on UBS performing a complete vehicle teardown of the Bolt...

BUT - the article shows that something like $8K or so of the costs they've estimated for building each Bolt are "Overhead" costs. Those are fixed costs that include the R&D investment to design the Bolt and it's production process. They are NOT incurred over and over again for every new vehicle built. So the more vehicles GM builds, the more money they'll make - especially as economies of scale and technology improvements continue to drive down the direct costs.

devbolt

Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:20 pm

Patronus wrote:
devbolt wrote:Chevy has not released any info regarding when the 2018 Bolts will be available, nor what content it will have. I would not count on ACC being available until they do a refresh of the Bolt in 2 or 3 years. ACC requires a radar unit of some sort and the current body doesn't have a place for it.

So is the autonomous braking in the current cars purely via the video camera in front of the rear-view mirror? It must be. Odd.

It would appear that the automatic emergency braking is dependent upon the two front mounted cameras. A radar unit offers more precise detection of objects in front for purposes of dynamic accelearation/braking as opposed to just braking hard in an emergency situation.

Return to “News and Main Chevy Bolt EV Forum”