Sun glare off chrome strip

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djhodny

Right away after picking up my new Bolt LT I noticed how severely the sun reflected off the chrome strip just below the center dash vents (and above the Infotainment screen). During mid-day the reflection was so bad - even dangerous - I decided I needed to cover it somehow. I noticed that it is the same width as electrical tape and so I put electrical tape over the strip. I works great - effectively cutting the glare - and it looks "professionally" done, like it's intended to be that way. I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced the glare problem and what you have done about it.

DNAinaGoodWay said:
At the right sun angle, all Bolts have some bad glare, worst with the light dash in the premiers.
IMHO there's a substantial difference between the dashboard being visible in the reflection off the front windscreen and the sun bouncing off that chrome strip into your eyes. But at least the chrome strip is easy to fix.

djhodny said:
...so I put electrical tape over the strip. I works great - effectively cutting the glare - and it looks "professionally" done, like it's intended to be that way.
Yea, until it starts to shrink, peel, fade, and so on.

Far worse is that white corner on each side of the dash that shines/reflects directly into the side mirrors. So much so that at some point mirrors become almost unusable even with the the polarized glasses on, and you have to look over your shoulder to change lanes. It's like GM is a startup and never built a car interior before.

White dash corners, Mary? Now, who approved THAT? Anyone at the wheel in the design department?

I got tired of the sun reflecting off the chrome strip above the center screen shining in my face (what was Chevy smoking?). I used 3M carbon fiber vinyl and it looks very nice now.

2018-09-23%2016.23.09.jpg

Back