Low continuous metallic noise upon engaging Drive or Reverse

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AaRoMo

My new Bolt emits a low metallic noise, like two metal plates rubbing against each other, when I engage Drive or Reverse. Is this normal or should it be absolutely quiet when stopped and in Drive or Reverse? Thanks!

Lift hood....put ear close to driver side firewall front. There is a pedestrian warning sound system that emits odd noises. If this is what you hear pull the fuse. Look owners manual....think it’s 36 or 38. If not I would take it to dealer.

It's almost certainly the pedestrian warning noise. It comes on at speeds below 17 mph. Pulling the fuse will turn it off with no other effect on your car, except, when you plug in a charger you won't hear the chirp anymore.

I think it will be law in 2019 to make this noise. Tesla apparently hasn't complied yet, where GM seems to have implemented it earlier than required. Not sure one is violating any law by pulling the fuse? I guess I will find out!

If you remove the fuse, there might be some risk of liability in the unlikely event you hit a pedestrian.

However....if the fuse were to blow, how possibly could you know....?????

bobpenn said:
It's almost certainly the pedestrian warning noise. It comes on at speeds below 17 mph. Pulling the fuse will turn it off with no other effect on your car, except, when you plug in a charger you won't hear the chirp anymore.

I think it will be law in 2019 to make this noise. Tesla apparently hasn't complied yet, where GM seems to have implemented it earlier than required. Not sure one is violating any law by pulling the fuse? I guess I will find out!

https://insideevs.com/quiet-car-rule-new-evs-must-emit-warning-sounds-us-2019/ describes the regulation. New EVs and hybrids starting September 1, 2019 need to give pedestrian warning noise at speeds under 30 km/h (18.6 mph).

3 times in 29,000 miles I have had that grinding noise. It is not the ped. Warning. It is from the front left tire. I have reported it 2x to dealer and they can't find anything wrong. We will see sometime in the future if it ends up a problem. Hope for the best.

Thanks for the replies. I realized that it might be the pedestrian warning when I saw a thread about it. I think I'll leave it engaged now that I know it isn't a defect. Who needs the liability worry?

Back