Charger adapters

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tarrngtn

What adapters for various charging stations are available so that the range of stations I can use is expanded? We visited a Tesla station last week. There were stalls that clearly said Tesla only. But there were other stalls beside them which seemed to indicate that they were open to others. The sign on the units give an 800 number to call. It seemed as if we could use the station by calling the number and giving them our credit card or Paypal info. But the nozzle (I don't know what else to call it) does not fit with they Bolt. We routinely charge at home with AeroEnvironment level 2 charger, but would like to consider options for travel, especially DC charging stations.

Tarrngtn said:
What adapters for various charging stations are available so that the range of stations I can use is expanded? We visited a Tesla station last week. There were stalls that clearly said Tesla only. But there were other stalls beside them which seemed to indicate that they were open to others. The sign on the units give an 800 number to call. It seemed as if we could use the station by calling the number and giving them our credit card or Paypal info. But the nozzle (I don't know what else to call it) does not fit with they Bolt. We routinely charge at home with AeroEnvironment level 2 charger, but would like to consider options for travel, especially DC charging stations.
If you did not purchase the DCFC option on the Bolt, you cannot use DC charging stations. If your bolt is equipped with DCFC (there will be a smaller orange cover below the standard charge receptacle) you can use CCS charging stations. There are no adapters that allow the Bolt to use any other DC stations.

For AC charging, the only other type in the US is the Tesla HPWC. AFAIK, these are always free (but sometimes restricted to guests/customers of the establishment where they are installed). There is an adapter available:
http://shop.quickchargepower.com/JDapter-Stub-Tesla-Charge-Station-Adaptor-JDPTRSTB.htm

We have DC capability with our Bolt. The users manual lists electrical options (e.g. SAE J1772) but does not show what plugs work. I can use ChargeHub and ChargePoint to see charging stations. It shows the plugs, but that is not always helpful. Several of the DC stations list a CHAdeMO J1772 Combo. That looks like it might work with the Bolt receptical, but I can't tell for sure. Is that a CCS? I suspected that anything Tesla was a nonstarter, but just thought I would ask. Main question: does the combo work for DC charging? Any other type of plug work?

Tarrngtn said:
We have DC capability with our Bolt. The users manual lists electrical options (e.g. SAE J1772) but does not show what plugs work. I can use ChargeHub and ChargePoint to see charging stations. It shows the plugs, but that is not always helpful. Several of the DC stations list a CHAdeMO J1772 Combo. That looks like it might work with the Bolt receptical, but I can't tell for sure. Is that a CCS? I suspected that anything Tesla was a nonstarter, but just thought I would ask. Main question: does the combo work for DC charging? Any other type of plug work?
Combo = CCS = J1772 Fast Charging
All terms for the same thing

CHAdeMO J1772 Combo locations have a unit with 2 different nozzles that allow either standard to charge.

A decent guide:
https://www.chargepoint.com/files/Quick_Guide_to_Fast_Charging.pdf

Very helpful, thank you. I also notice in the ChargePoint information at the link you give, that it says there are adapters for going from Tesla to J1772 combo. It does not give a location to find one of these beauties, and perhaps the info is wrong. Or perhaps even with an adapter a Bolt can't use their fast charging stations. I only ask because the Tesla stations are so common.

Tarrngtn said:
Very helpful, thank you. I also notice in the ChargePoint information at the link you give, that it says there are adapters for going from Tesla to J1772 combo. It does not give a location to find one of these beauties, and perhaps the info is wrong. Or perhaps even with an adapter a Bolt can't use their fast charging stations. I only ask because the Tesla stations are so common.

Tesla has two types of charging stations: the destination charging stations, for which an adapter exists, which will let you charge at as much as 7.2kW off AC power(see note), just like any other L2 stations, and DC Supercharger stations, for which no adapter exists.

NOTE: Destination chargers are often at businesses like hotels, ski areas and such. The business pays for the power. ALWAYS ask before using.

http://shop.quickchargepower.com/JDapter-Stub-Tesla-Charge-Station-Adaptor-JDPTRSTB.htm

Thanks again, that is really helpful. The kind of info it does not seem I can get from documents or even the Internet. Only a DC station is worth the effort when "on the road." So, as I expected, Tesla stations are out.

One further piece of info I guess most users know. There are stations listed on the various site locators that turn out to be vapor-stations. Nothing there even on the Google Street scenes of the location or when you go there. Calling the company in charge gets a very nice polite man who does not seem to know anything.

ChargeHub has a level 3 charger listed in my town for 8 months that does not exist. I’ve notified them twice and it’s still there. In BC PlugShare is the way to go.

That is what I am finding too in my limited experience. But one disadvantage of PlugShare is no filter so one can easily find just the places that have, for example, my kind of plug and DC ability. Just a minor drawback.

Tarrngtn said:
That is what I am finding too in my limited experience. But one disadvantage of PlugShare is no filter so one can easily find just the places that have, for example, my kind of plug and DC ability. Just a minor drawback.
No, no - you're wrong, PlugShare does let you choose which stations to display based on connector type. In the mobile app, just click on the "Filter" icon in the upper-right corner, scroll down and click on the "Connectors" item, and then turn off everything except for "EV Plug (J1772)" and "Quick Charge (CCS/SAE Combo)".

You can also enable "Wall Outlet" and/or "NEMA 14-50" if you carry a charger along with you that can use those kinds of sockets.

I assumed you meant he series of short horizontal lines at the upper right hand side of the screen. They are grayed out and do not work. Nothing happens when I tap them.

Tarrngtn said:
I assumed you meant he series of short horizontal lines at the upper right hand side of the screen.
A bit off topic, but FYI what you've described is often called the "hamburger menu" because of its resemblance to a hamburger (top and bottom lines are the bun and the middle line is the meat).

Back