Working the AC in the winter

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tarrngtn

The users manual recommends using the AC monthly in the winter. I think this is to keep the AC seals lubricarted. My experience from ICE cars is that failure to do this results in loss of refrigerant. For ICE cars I have found that one can do this by turning on the windshield defroster for a short while. For my old cars that automatically turns on the AC so that the defrosted air is dry. If this is really necessary, can I accomplish this with my Bolt by turning on the defroster for a while once a month? Here in NM there is rarely a need for the defroster independent of this need to exercise the AC.

The kind of A/C system used in EVs and hybrids is different from the ICE vehicle systems. Instead of a belt-driven compressor mounted on an engine, you have a sealed box with an electric motor driving the compressor in a way that puts much less stress on the shaft seals. The good news is that, first, you are less likely to develop issues if you don't run the A/C monthly, and second, the A/C should indeed run whenever you select the windshield defrost/defog mode.

I actually ride my electric-assist bicycle much more often than my Vectrix electric motorcycle.

Back