Bolt OEM Tires v. Summer Tire Performance

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArthurL

Great article from Motor Trend. http://www.motortrend.com/news/chevrolet-bolt-ev-summer-tires-review-electricity-meets-grip/

Arthur, thanks for the interesting article. I do not yet own a Bolt (my intention is to purchase either a Bolt 2017 or a Nissan 2018 Leaf in 2019 -- I will keep the car on Cape Cod and will only spend five months a year there, hence the logic of procuring a used vehicle).

As I will be using my EV as a Cape Cod runabout, I've already reviewed available size tires in the TireRack site. My intention is, once the EV tires are worn on the car I will purchase, I will replace them with standard (not high performance) summer tires. Efficiency is simply not a major concern considering the use pattern my vehicle will be put to.

If I were a commuter, I would likely have a much different opinion as to which type of tires would best suit my needs.

If the car were to be used during the winter, I'd likely have a third opinion on this matter.

I guess this is a long winded way of saying, "it all depends" when it comes to which type of tire would be most appropriate for use on an EV. Furthermore, I suspect that once we start seeing EVs routinely available with ranges of +300 miles, the concern for efficiency will greatly diminish.

Rich

I can only speak for the Bolt. 5 months a year but what part of year? I lived in Cambridge/Boston area and ventured out to cape cod twice. In summer with oem low resistant tires and watching the speed and acceleration I get about 420 km on a charge average. When I joy ride, accelerate at every opportunity and climb the mountain grades at 142 km I get about the 360 km on a charge. In winter with temps below 32 F and Michelin winter tires I am getting close to 290 km on a charge. Can’t wait for March and my low resistance tires back on.

I put really grippy UHP Summer tires on my front.
I noticed less squeal (down to none) in fast corners, but the car will still spin the tires when accerating full throttle on a full charge. I agree with the article. Grippier tires are nice if you don’t mind a small hit in range.

My change in range was not as dramatic as the author’s. I think less than 10%. I could not tell if he used all 4 or only two in front. I wanted the UHP mostly for acceleration and it didn’t help much. I guess the car is too light in front. When they wear out (in something ridiculous like 20,000 miles) I will put the originals back on. I had LRR tires last 86,000 for me on other cars. Of course LRR cost more.

gpsman said:
I noticed less squeal (down to none) in fast corners, but the car will still spin the tires when accerating full throttle on a full charge. I agree with the article. Grippier tires are nice if you don’t mind a small hit in range.

My change in range was not as dramatic as the author’s. I think less than 10%. I could not tell if he used all 4 or only two in front. I wanted the UHP mostly for acceleration and it didn’t help much. I guess the car is too light in front. When they wear out (in something ridiculous like 20,000 miles) I will put the originals back on. I had LRR tires last 86,000 for me on other cars. Of course LRR cost more.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I wonder how much of the author's 10% hit is from the tires and how much is from his now-sportier driving style.

My plan is to ride out the next winter or two on the stock "all season" (really 3-season in snow country) tires. Once I buy proper snow tires, I will replace the all-seasons with proper sticky summer tires. Then I'll just keep those two sets. The Bolt is too much fun to drive to throw away performance on the crummy stock tires!

Efficiency does still matter, though. I need the Bolt to make my regular (semi-monthly) longish (250-300 miles one-way) trips. Yes, there are DCQCs along the route, but more efficient tires means less time spent charging.

Of course, there are tire choices between economy-at-all-costs and performance-at-all-costs. Someone looking for a higher performance tire that still gives good economy and range may want to consider tires like:

Continental PureContact with EcoPlus
Michelin Premier A/S
Michelin Primacy MXM4
Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus

However, carrying a tire goo kit or a spare tire with jack and wrench may be worth considering with these tires.

I had Continental EcoPlus tires way back in 2004 on my first hybrid car. Those are the ones that lasted 86,000 miles for me. I liked them.

Another article on the Bolt and ultra high performance tires.

https://insideevs.com/ultra-performance-tires-chevrolet-bolt/

ArthurL said:
Another article on the Bolt and ultra high performance tires.

https://insideevs.com/ultra-performance-tires-chevrolet-bolt/

This article exemplifies the cause of my growing frustration with IEVs. They extol the performance of anything with a Tesla badge. Then when they put performance tires on a Chevy, they downplay the performance gain and focus on the negative. So frustrating.

REALLY BAD idea! If you have to stop quickly with the wheel even a few degrees off-center or accelerate while cornering, the OEM rear tires will break loose first and send you into a spin.

You have transformed the car into a road hazard.

Speaking as one who knows next to nothing... We rarely get snow here (Albuquerque) and when we do it is cleared within a few hours. So snow is not a problem. My question is: are the Michelin self sealing tires that came with my Bolt safe? Are they safe on the interstate? We drive moderately, and like the quiet of these tires. We have no need to take a tight curve at 70 mph and so don't need to avoid a squeal. We like the range and low cost per mile. But are they safe?

The stock tires are plenty safe, it's about technique. Slow down for one thing. I'd be more worried about other drivers not used to snow in your situation.

I'm still driving on the stock tires without any issue. I avoid L though as the strong regenerate braking (on the front wheels only no less) makes the car want to understeer. We've had 1-2 feet of snow already, much more to come.

Back