Wards Auto - Bolt EV Powertrain - 10 best for 2018

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winterescape

Very nice recognition of the amazing 150Kw powertrain in the Bolt:

"We now know the Bolt, available in dealerships in all 50 states, is an affordable, world-changing vehicle that delivers on the promise of electric mobility for the masses. It is quick and smartly designed, and its official range of a groundbreaking 238 miles (383 km) makes it attractive to a much wider audience, particularly those who want to do right by the environment.
Torque is more than abundant, delivering thrilling acceleration and answering our guiding question for every 10 Best Engines nominee we evaluate: Does the powertrain sell the vehicle?

http://wardsauto.com/10-best-engines/2018-wards-10-best-engines-mainstream-brands-triumph

Does the powertrain sell the vehicle?
It's what sold me. I won't drive a hair shirt. If it's not fun every time I get in it, I don't want it. The Bolt is just a hoot to drive.

jack vines

Amen. I bought it for the environmental reasons. I drive it cause it’s down right fun.

I still think that GM wanted to limit the car's appeal, in order to stop it from stealing sales from their own divisions, and thus the tiny hard seats. I could just be overestimating GM, though...

I think it’s more a case of batteries are hard to come by. If they had 1 million orders, they wouldn’t be able to fill them at this time.

LeftieBiker said:
I still think that GM wanted to limit the car's appeal, in order to stop it from stealing sales from their own divisions, and thus the tiny hard seats. I could just be overestimating GM, though...

PackardV8 said:
It's what sold me. I won't drive a hair shirt. If it's not fun every time I get in it, I don't want it. The Bolt is just a hoot to drive.

jack vines

sold me too! I had seen the car and was not too impressed, but once I drove the Bolt I quickly started trying to figure out how to make it work and acquire it ;-)

To quote Dan Neil from his review of the Bolt:

"Did somebody say acceleration? The Bolt is as good as its name. From a standstill, and hampered by its low-rolling-resistance tires, the Bolt hits 60 mph in less than 6.5 seconds, officially. But once it’s rolling, say, between 20 and 60 mph, the Bolt is outrageously, throw-your-head-back quick, stealthy and spontaneous. With 266 lb-ft of torque on hair-trigger alert, this little family car squirts past slower cars like a Subaru WRX STI, except nobody thinks it’s an air raid. The Bolt should come with a traffic attorney on retainer."

gpsman said:
I think it’s more a case of batteries are hard to come by. If they had 1 million orders, they wouldn’t be able to fill them at this time.

LeftieBiker said:

I agree with GPSMan. GM is on track to sell exactly as many Bolts as they said they would this year (25-30k). Since the batteries (and drivetrain, and electronics and ...) come from LG Chem, GM can only assemble as many cars as LG gives them parts for. And LG is on contract for 30k this year. It's a self-fulfilly prophesy. I just hope there is enough demand for GM to increase orders from LG Chem in the future.

winterescape said:
PackardV8 said:

jack vines

sold me too! I had seen the car and was not too impressed, but once I drove the Bolt I quickly started trying to figure out how to make it work and acquire it ;-)

To quote Dan Neil from his review of the Bolt:

"Did somebody say acceleration? The Bolt is as good as its name. From a standstill, and hampered by its low-rolling-resistance tires, the Bolt hits 60 mph in less than 6.5 seconds, officially. But once it’s rolling, say, between 20 and 60 mph, the Bolt is outrageously, throw-your-head-back quick, stealthy and spontaneous. With 266 lb-ft of torque on hair-trigger alert, this little family car squirts past slower cars like a Subaru WRX STI, except nobody thinks it’s an air raid. The Bolt should come with a traffic attorney on retainer."

Hear hear! While the Model 3 will undoubtedly be quicker than the Bolt, it is designed to be less a driver's car and more a personal chauffeur. That really turned me off to it. The Bolt is the right combination of fun and practical (I have a wife and two kids, and it easily carried the four of us and all of our luggage almost 700 miles for Thanksgiving). I just need to get a good set of summer tires and snow tires, and ditch the lame worst-of-both-worlds "all season" (really three-season in snow country) tires.

I agree with GPSMan. GM is on track to sell exactly as many Bolts as they said they would this year (25-30k).

But only by heavily discounting them, aided by panic at the possible loss of the tax credit. We may never know if GM wanted to keep sales modest by using crappy seats, or if they just screwed up in a really stupid way, but however you cut it the sales were not what was hoped.

Back