JDapter (trademark) Tesla Charging for all

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tarrngtn

This item is being sold for a few hundred dollars. It honestly says it does not work with Tesla Superchargers. So I conclude, it does not help Bolt owners at all. But I can't tell what it would be used for if not the Tesla Superhargers. Are there other Tesla stations (not super) that would be opened for Bolts with this thing? Any possibility that Tesla would open Superchargers to us (with this thing) at some future time? The ad says that it does work with:
Tesla "Destination chargers"
Tesla UMC
Tesla Mobile Connector
Tesla HPWC
Tesla Wall Connector

I have no idea whether any of these are of use "on the road" where Bolt could use some help.

Looking at a previous thread, I take it that the other Tesla charging stations, for which this adapter works, are level 2. Which, I think answers my questions.

Yes, that is what PlugShare calls them. There seem to be very few of these (at least in NM) that don't also have the EV plug as well. So having the adapter would not give me many additional places to plug in. But elsewhere, CA for example, that may not be the case.

Still would like to know whether there is any chance that with some device or another we might be able to use Tesla Fast Charging stations at some point. That would be the big break. That would fit in with Musk's overall philosophy of encouraging EVs. But there are probably technical problems with this that go way beyond the style of the plugs.

Tarrngtn said:
Yes, that is what PlugShare calls them. There seem to be very few of these (at least in NM) that don't also have the EV plug as well. So having the adapter would not give me many additional places to plug in. But elsewhere, CA for example, that may not be the case.

Well, it would allow you to charge at a hotel (or restaurant) that has Tesla destination chargers when the J1772 is occupied (or none are available). I know that at the Majestic Yosemite Hotel (in Yosemite National park) there's a 15A j1772 and an 80A Tesla level-2 charger. I have often seen multiple Tesla destination chargers when I am out and about, with only one J1772 (or none at all). The Los Gatos Hotel only has a Tesla unit, and the Courtyard Marriott in Palo Alto has EIGHT Tesla units. The doubletree in Fremont has 4 Tesla/0 J1772; the Fremont Marriott has 3T/1 J1772 - the Best Western in Danville has 4T/1J !! . It''s sort of like carrying a NEMA 14-50 or 14-30 pigtail for your portable EVSE, so you can charge at campgrounds : backup. It can be very useful if you travel 200-400 miles fairly frequently, especially if you stay in hotels; you'll wake up with a full charge the next morning. Looking specifically at NM, there are quite a few spots that have more Tesla charging units than J1772 - or no J1772 at all. Adding in Tesla home HPWC units, being able to use a Tesla plug significantly increases the number of charging locations.

Tarrngtn said:
Still would like to know whether there is any chance that with some device or another we might be able to use Tesla Fast Charging stations at some point.

No. never. Or only if Tesla decides to open it up.

SparkE said:
Well, it would allow you to charge at a hotel (or restaurant) that has Tesla destination chargers when the J1772 is occupied (or none are available).
Yes, that's exactly its value - it opens up more charging opportunities to you and there may be occasions where that's the difference between being able to charge or not.

BTW, at its new price of $300, the Tesla Mobile L2 EVSE is a bargain, although a Bolt owner would need the Jdapter to use it.
The Jdapter is often available for $250 - check eBay.

Now you have confused me. The JDapter is maybe $250 on eBay. Got that. JDapter allows Bolt to use the Tesla Destination chargers, which might come in handy. But what is the Tesla Mobile L2 EVSE that is "a bargain" at $300?

Tarrngtn said:
Now you have confused me. The JDapter is maybe $250 on eBay. Got that. JDapter allows Bolt to use the Tesla Destination chargers, which might come in handy. But what is the Tesla Mobile L2 EVSE that is "a bargain" at $300?

Ditto. (Well, I'm not *confused*, I would just like a link - a quick 'google' didn't find one in the top 5 or 10 links returned.)

The new Tesla universal mobile connector (UMC) is what is being referred to above as the Tesla L2 mobile EVSE. It is sold only by Tesla and intended for use on Tesla vehicles only as it has the proprietary Tesla plug. You would then have to buy the J adapter in addition to the UMC to be able to charge other vehicles like the Bolt with a J1772 port.

You will end up with an EVSE intended only for Teslas and will have to always use the $250 adapter to charge your Bolt . I really don’t see much reason for doing this. You can buy an EVSE with the correct plug for the Bolt for the price of these two other components.

I need a book, "Charging for Dummies". With these various items, would I be able to charge my Bolt at the Tesla Superchargers? Or are we still just talking about the Level 2 tesla chargers? If with some combination of adapters I can use the Tesla Superchargers, then tell me what items you would recommend purchasing to achieve this ability. Thanks for your expertise, guys and gals.

Tarrngtn said:
I need a book, "Charging for Dummies". With these various items, would I be able to charge my Bolt at the Tesla Superchargers? Or are we still just talking about the Level 2 tesla chargers? If with some combination of adapters I can use the Tesla Superchargers, then tell me what items you would recommend purchasing to achieve this ability. Thanks for your expertise, guys and gals.

This page is a great reference.
http://carcharging.us/ev/bolt.php

"would I be able to charge my Bolt at the Tesla Superchargers? "
Nope just what Tesla calls "destination charging" which is level 2 or with the home Tesla charger mentioned above...

Here's a 5 minute primer:

Electrical power is typically delivered as either AC (Alternating Current) or DC (Direct Current). Batteries use DC, while your household power is AC. A battery charger converts AC to DC, at the voltage required by the battery. EVs come with a battery charger in the car, allowing you to charge the car using household AC power.

Your typical "charger" is a Level 2 AC charging station. It delivers AC to the car and includes a communications protocol to tell the car how much power is OK to draw. The car uses its onboard battery charger to convert the AC to DC and charge its battery. Everybody uses the same communications protocol (J1772), but Tesla has a physically different plug from everyone else. The JDapter is just a mechanical adapter that lets you insert Tesla's plug into anyone else's car, for Level 2 AC charging. Since the protocol is the same, only a mechanical adapter is required.

Faster charging is called Level 3 DC charging and requires bypassing the limitations of the car's onboard battery charger. So the Level 3 station does the AC to DC conversion itself, and the supplied DC power is connected directly to the car battery to charge it. A communications protocol is required for the car to tell the Level 3 station the required voltage and allowable current to provide.

There are 3 communications protocols for Level 3 charging in use in North America: Chademo, SAE Combo, and Tesla Supercharger. They all have different plugs. Chademo (used by the Nissan LEAF) is a totally separate plug/receptacle from Level 2 AC charging; SAE Combo (like Bolt has) is a set of extra pins on the Level 2 plug/receptacle, and Tesla use the same physical plug for both Level 2 and Level 3. So Tesla's communications protocol includes having the car connect its charging receptacle either to the car's onboard battery charge (Level 2) or directly to the battery (Level 3).

The only interoperability of Level 3 charging currently possible is that Tesla has created an adapter that will let Tesla cars charge from Chademo stations. You attach the Chademo plug to the receptacle on the adapter, and the adapter's plug goes into the receptacle on the Tesla. This adapter is both mechanical and electronic, as it speaks "Chademo" to the Level 3 station and speaks "Tesla" to the car.

Cheers, Wayne

elpwr said:
The new Tesla universal mobile connector (UMC) is what is being referred to above as the Tesla L2 mobile EVSE. It is sold only by Tesla and intended for use on Tesla vehicles only as it has the proprietary Tesla plug. You would then have to buy the J adapter in addition to the UMC to be able to charge other vehicles like the Bolt with a J1772 port.

You will end up with an EVSE intended only for Teslas and will have to always use the $250 adapter to charge your Bolt . I really don’t see much reason for doing this. You can buy an EVSE with the correct plug for the Bolt for the price of these two other components.
The big draw of the Tesla UMC in my opinion is for portable use. What's unique about it is that you can buy adapters for various types of 240V sockets and it will automatically switch its charge rate based on the type of adapter you've connected to it (and thus the type of 240V circuit you're plugged into). No other EVSE has this kind of simple flexibility.

And you can pay for a Tesla UMC that has been modified to use a J1772 plug, eliminating the need for a separate adapter. But the adapter is nice to have anyway since it makes it possible to use a Tesla destination charger.

These are great solutions for people who want to maximize their charging options when they take the Bolt on a road trip.

I hate to be dense, but I am still confused. I thought the JDapter was all I would need to plug my Bolt into the Tesla Designation charging stations. If so, what is this Tesla portable UMC thing for? What charging stations does it open up that the JDaper alone will not?

Tarrngtn said:
I hate to be dense, but I am still confused. I thought the JDapter was all I would need to plug my Bolt into the Tesla Designation charging stations. If so, what is this Tesla portable UMC thing for? What charging stations does it open up that the JDaper alone will not?

1) (jDapter) You are correct, It is
2) (UMC) is simply a level 2 charger for your home, or travel where they have no level 2 chargers but have electric outlets

Tarrngtn said:
Tesla Destination Charger = Tesla's wall-mounted Level 2 AC charger
Tesla UMC = Tesla's portable, plug in Level 2 AC charger

Jdapter will allow you to use either with your Bolt EV. You might run into a Tesla Desination Charger at a hotel or something like that. You might run into a Tesla UMC if you are visiting a Tesla owner.

Cheers, Wayne

Tarrngtn said:
It will allow you to charge wherever there's a 240V plug available - at a business or RV campsite for example. There are RV campsites all over the US in locations where actual EV chargers have yet to see the light of day.

If you think you will ever own a Tesla, having a Tesla EVSE and Jdapter is the way to go imo. If you want to live on the very edge of "what you need" you may be able to survive with the 110 charger that comes with the car.

I lived with 110 for 3 years, but since we got our Bolt we've had brutally cold weather, and what is usually 4 mph charging has been closer to 1 mph. With a longer range car, and really cold weather, and a girlfriend that has no willingness to wake up in deficit, running 50 amp to the driveway became a necessity.

WHY I WANT a JDAPTER:
The Jdapter allows you to use the quite substantial Tesla destination charging network with a non-Tesla.
Tesla HPWC's network, so if you think you'll have more than one car, and would like to avoid blown circuit breakers and uncharged cars, this may be important if you don't have 150-200 amps dedicated to car charging.
Tesla chargers allow automatic charge port opening on Tesla cars. Is this a small thing? Maybe. Or maybe it'll be an annoying drip, drip, drip when you don't have it.
I'd rather adapt to j1772 and have Tesla charging than have j1772 charging and adapt to Tesla.

Back