Any Technical problems with using Tesla Supercharters?

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tarrngtn

Assume that a proper adapter is produced and sold (perhaps by Tesla) and that Musk gives permission and charges appropriately: Is there any technical reason why Bolts could not use the Tesla Superchargers? I realize that is a little like asking "other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you like the play?" But still, Musk has done much to encourage EVs (patents, etc.) so perhaps at some point...

Not that I am aware of...
People talk about the Bolt not being able to handle what the Superchargers put out, but that isn't totally accurate.
The Superchargers can and do put out lower amounts as the Tesla's get closer to full.
The Model 3 takes less than the Model S, etc..

It would be the same with the Bolt, if an adapter were made.
Either the adapter (it would have to be it's own computer) and/or the Supercharger would negotiate the "safe rate" for charging.

It would be slower than the current Teslas (and even slower than a Model 3 likely), but still do-able.

Basically, the adapter would tell the Supercharger what the safe rates are, and on the other end, it would pretend to the Bolt that it is a CCS charger.

What I am not sure about tho, is whether it could be faster than what the CCS does now with the Bolt. I don't think so..
I believe the Bolt is limited currently to lower than what the pack could probably take safely now, and if that is an "in the car" limitation, I'm not sure the adapter would be able to send more..

That might require a firmware update on the Bolt.
I think it would be the same with a faster CCS unit. I think the limit is currently set in the Bolt...

With all that being said, I don't expect any of it to happen.
I know Musk has said he'd be willing to do it in theory, but I don't see it happening.
Love to be wrong about that tho..

desiv

Tarrngtn said:
Assume that a proper adapter is produced and sold (perhaps by Tesla) and that Musk gives permission and charges appropriately: Is there any technical reason why Bolts could not use the Tesla Superchargers? I realize that is a little like asking "other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you like the play?" But still, Musk has done much to encourage EVs (patents, etc.) so perhaps at some point...

"Suppose that muffins were made out of dreams, and the sprinkles on top were actually tomorrow's best moments - how well would you sleep?"

Your question is really unanswerable in any deterministic manner - there are too many unknowns. However, IF "a proper adapter" exists, THEN by definition it would work (otherwise it wouldn't be "proper", would it?).

Assuming all of the above:

Would Tesla want to open up SCs to other brands when so many 3s are rolling, then Ys, pick-ups, etc? SCs are a big marketing advantage. Clogging them up with slower charging brands won’t please Tesla owners.

That said, future models of Bolts and other 60 kWh + cars could be manufactured to charge at the same rates as Teslas, and other QC manufacturers are likely to deploy higher power stations.

It’s still a young market. California and Europe will get these first.

If the M3 rolls out anywhere close to predictions, I believe that Tesla will have little to no excess supercharger capacity to market to competitors. If, on the other hand, the M3 stumbles and Tesla files for bankruptcy, I could see the supercharger network being monetized as an income stream.

More likely, I could see a Tesla / partner relationship develop where the existing Tesla supercharger electrical infrastructure is utilized to add CCS chargers close to existing Tesla superchargers.

I think it is far more likely that a CCS network builds out fairly quickly.

To answer the question you asked however, I see no technical limitation to building an adapter sanctioned by Tesla

I'd love to see it happen and I'd be glad to pay double for the privilege. Right now there are places it is simply impractical to travel in a Bolt.

It's really sad that I can't get from Atlanta to Orlando without a 100 mile detour.

The problem is not with the adapter/conversion/handshaking, it's with enabling access.

Tesla at one point invited other manufacturers to "buy in" to the Supercharger network to help pay for it. At this point the cost for a manufacturer to join would likely be millions of dollars. The book value Tesla put on the stations in 2016 was ~$207 million. They spent an average of about $200K per new location in 2016.

It is entirely reasonable for them to have other manufacturers share in that cost (both for the existing infrastructure and expansion) if they want to utilize them.

Since there is a CHAdeMO -> Tesla SC thing-a-ma-bob, but there ISN'T one for CCS/Combo -> Tesla, I would guess that the latter is harder than the former. *IF* that is true, then I would imaging that Tesla -> CHAdeMO would be easier than Tesla->CCS.

BarfOMatic said:
Since there is a CHAdeMO -> Tesla SC thing-a-ma-bob, but there ISN'T one for CCS/Combo -> Tesla, I would guess that the latter is harder than the former. *IF* that is true, then I would imaging that Tesla -> CHAdeMO would be easier than Tesla->CCS.
I don't think that's the only logical conclusion. Today in the US, there is rarely a CCS charger without a CHAdeMO port nearby. If you can use the CHAdeMO, there is zero benefit to being able to use the CCS. Tesla may have simply decided it wasn't worth investing the time in designing an adaptor.

Back