Pigwich

Re: Steering Wheel Option

Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:27 am

So I was just thinking about this today - If your car doesn't have a steering wheel, how are you going to back in to a campsite or do anything that isn't explicitly an on-road situation? Or parking at the (goddam) Trader Joes? Or the parking garage where half the spots say "Bank parking only"

I expect a lot of "No car, try again"

Or even crazier, back east in the snow.. "Yes car, drive through that snowbank! It's so tiny!" or "No car, we're not calling the tow truck, you just need to rock it back and forth a few more times!"

On the other hand, when I'm so old and blind that I need a self driving car, I probably won't be doing much camping, let alone trying to park in Little Tokyo, or living in Maine, so maybe it's pointless.

SeanNelson

Re: Steering Wheel Option

Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:53 pm

Pigwich wrote:So I was just thinking about this today - If your car doesn't have a steering wheel, how are you going to back in to a campsite or do anything that isn't explicitly an on-road situation?

Right now these cars are only being deployed for ride sharing, so parking at the destination really isn't an issue for them.

But yeah, if these are ever sold to the general public then all those issues will have to be worked out.

Return to “News and Main Chevy Bolt EV Forum”