First time with the Bolt in heavy snow

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BenSS

Bought my Bolt in Dec & We got 5-6" of snow dumped on us in PA over a few hours last night. The car handled really well even in the unplowed sections. There were a few spots where we started to slide a bit, but using L made it a lot easier to handle. The only thing I had to be cautious of was letting the pedal up too fast, since the region braking can be pretty aggressive.

Few annoyances though. Just want to make sure these have been the experience of others:
- The rearview camera was completely useless for most of the trip. Snow melting off the back window ran over the camera constantly, making it unusable.
- Runoff from the roof goes directly inside the vehicle once you open the doors.
- Weirdest was the wipers getting jammed/locked. We put them up to wipe off the heavy snow, and had to turn off/on the whole car for them to even attempt moving it again. Eventually worked when I pushed the blades down slightly (mimicking the 'off' position?) and turned the car off/on.

Still happy with it so far! Installed a 40a Juicebox charger, and have stopped worrying about charge levels for the weekly driving.

A few weeks ago we got 12 inches of heavy snow in just a few hours here in Wisconsin. I presumed the weight of the EV batteries would keep my wheels down on the pavement. Only to a point. I learned that the smooth bottom of the Bolt, and lots of inertia, allowed me to float up onto an unplowed area pretty easily. Soon the wheels were touching little or nothing. Rocking forward and back for a few cycles, I got free and decided I would no longer presume the Bolt could do everything.
The other learning was that regenerative braking is front wheel only braking. I knew that, but had to experience it.
Finally, for the last 3 months I have been averaging 2.5 miles per KWH. The lowest was 1.8 at freeway speeds and 22 below zero Fahrenheit. I am happy to have it back up near freezing and seeing 180 miles per charge.

You want to use Eco mode in heavy snow, not L, for the reasons you discovered. Four snow tires are also wise in the snow belt.

My Bolt was twice trapped at the bottom of an icy driveway in recent weeks, spinning its wheels uselessly. All of my neighbors using the same driveway had no problem with their AWD vehicles. So I figure the source of the Bolt problem is the two-wheel drive. My next electric vehicle (when the lease is up) will have AWD if at all possible.

I'm going to Yosemite next weekend. I'll be taking my 4x4 Toyota FJ Cruiser. I lobbied to take the Bolt, but my wife vetoed that plan. Mostly because she's annoyed with having to charge, not because it's only front wheel drive. Oh well, I need to watch the mileage on the Bolt, and the 4x4 is made for snow anyway.

I think sliding around in the Bolt would be fun (if my wife's not in the car). Any video of the Bolt in snow?

NeilBlanchard said:
Winter tires are better than AWD.
AWD with winter tires > FWD with winter tires > AWD > FWD.

But I've been driving for over 4 decades with FWD and winter tires (on the drive wheels only) and have never gotten stuck nor lost control.

If its your driveway, would the Bolt go uphill in snow better in reverse? The drive wheels will be in the rear. Maybe a tiny bit more downforce/traction?

I knew this car would be a poor choice in snow from the first day I got it. There’s not enough weight on the drive wheels if I can smoke rubber at 3/4 throttle on dry asphalt pointing straight ahead.

I replaced the “A” traction tires with “AA” traction tires. It’s made little or no difference.

I took my Bolt up the mountain yesterday - Not REAL snow - that was a few days before, but I'm from Maine and did a LOT of snow driving in prior years. I pulled over in a few badly plowed parking areas on the snow and ice to see how it was and I can say that the traction control worked GREAT. Way more so than on a gas powered vehicle. Pretty pleased with that, although I will probably NEVER live in an area that gets regular snow if I can help it. Definitely a good point on the giant "sled" that is the underside of the car. Ground clearance is a problem and always will be. I'd definitely like to see how it works going through of 6" of new dry powder and how well it works itself out of snowbanks after the plow comes by in the afternoon to scrape up that last 2"

Also, I know it's sort of been covered, but....chains on the Bolt... I carried some just for the hell of it. I think putting them on would have been only as a last resort to get me out of a hole and I'm sure it would have done some damage. Those wheel wells are just too small. I don't know how serious GM is about selling EVs (so far a pretty disappointing effort on their part) but maybe some day they'll make a more capable vehicle for the poor saps up north.

bluebolt said:
My next electric vehicle (when the lease is up) will have AWD if at all possible.

Those of us who have to traverse the frozen-ass-end-of-nowhere need AWD and real snow tires. I put Nokian on the Bolt and they're a huge improvement over the OEMs, but it needs AWD.

jack vines

Driving up the inclined driveway in reverse sounds like a good idea, maybe I'll try that next time (if I don't have winter tires yet). Thanks!

Back