Rats! (actually probably mice)

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tttait

I thought I was losing connection to a host of systems last week due to a computer failure. First the Pedestrian alert system, then the check system light came on, followed by a message from Onstar to service the Lithium batteries, then the Air conditioning refrigeration stopped working, and finally the ambient temperature sensor failed. All this over the course of about 5 days.

I expected the problem to be in the computer or buss, but the dealer called last night and said a rodent had gotten into the front of the car and started eating through the wiring. I'm looking at $550 in disassembly just to get to the suspect wiring harnesses.

Fortunately the dealer pointed out that our comprehensive policy would likely cover the repairs - sounds like it will - less deductible.

I've ordered an ultrasonic/EM pulse repellent unit for the car, and may supplement it with a few canisters I can load with moth balls or something.

Upsetting. The dealer said they just had a number of vehicles come in under similar circumstances. We just had a number of winter storms (read - heavy rain and minor flooding). That probably caused a number of relocations of local rodentia.

Anyone with good experience with repelling technologies that work well for cars (I park in a driveway), I'd appreciate any anecdotal or empirical advice.

Tom

Class action? See this similar one: https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2017/hyundai-soy-based-wiring-lawsuit-rodents.shtml

You'll never repel them. Nothing from amazon works, forget about that route. No amount of mint oil, ultrasonic whistles, etc will due. The cat thing is a good idea though. On that note, take a rag soaked in cat piss and stick it under the hood. Not even kidding here. It's gross, but that will work until the rats move on. Obviously, the rest is standard rat procedure. Get rid of dog food outdoors, bird seed, trash cans, compost piles, and fill your garage with poison. Set regular old snap traps. All standard stuff. If you have fruit on the ground and in trees, GET RID OF IT.

I just had major rat jee-hawd at our house. It takes a violent assault from all angles to get the job done and your life will be better this spring and summer because of it.

good luck.

We had a rat in the garage. Chewed through the windshield washer hose on one car, insulation on wires, etc.

A rat trap, old fashioned kind with a wood base, was baited with peanut butter and a piece of dog food. End of problem, other than fixing both cars and cleanup.

Phximiev said:
Class action? See this similar one: https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2017/hyundai-soy-based-wiring-lawsuit-rodents.shtml

Soy based wiring insulation, that's actually kinda funny, my neighbour has a 2016 Tucson so all the rats should spend there time over there, I'll be safe in my driveway, We have 2 cats plus all the neighbour cats, rodents aren't prolific around us for some reason.

IMAdolt said:
Phximiev said:

Soy based wiring insulation, that's actually kinda funny, my neighbour has a 2016 Tucson so all the rats should spend there time over there, I'll be safe in my driveway, We have 2 cats plus all the neighbour cats, rodents aren't prolific around us for some reason.

Sounds like you are in good shape but many manufacturers have been dealing with this for a while, Ford, Toyota, BMW, etc...
I have no idea if the Bolt uses soy based wire insulation or not.
http://www.kbklawyers.com/advocacy/toyota-class-action/

In the Eighties, Volvo used what we called "biodegradable insulation." The wiring would crumble all by itself in 10 years, no rodents needed.

I was out of town and delayed in picking up the car from the dealer. The repair was covered by my insurance except for my deductible. total bill was nearly $2k IIRC.

The mouse had eaten through a couple wires in the front bumper area, and was working on one of the battery cooling hoses. After the repairs were completed the car seems fine.

I'm not sure where the mouse/mice first entered the car, but their nest-building activities did not happen at home, and maybe nt at work either. A fresh cigarette butt and a unique tree leaf were identifiable in the small nest - neither can be found near my home typically. Nobody for at least a few houses around smokes and we never see butts on the ground near home. The leaf isn't common either in my neighborhood nor around where I usually park at work - gives me some hope that it's less likely to reoccur.

Back