This Stupid Recall Just Broke My Car

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChevyDolt

Like everyone else, I was notified of the recall so I made an appointment with the dealer where I purchased the car to have it fixed. My car was not exhibiting any issues.

Despite the fact that I booked the service appointment through the dealership website and that they sent me three different texts reminding me of my appointment, at 10 am when I drove up to the service department, the guy who greeted me said I wasn't on his list and I didn't have an appointment.

This was a sign of things to come.

A different service manager then said he would help me and, lo and behold, he found my appointment in his computer. I asked them to perform the two recalls and to check the air in my tires as OnStar told me two of them were a little low. He said everything should be done by 2:30. They took the car, ordered me a Lyft which drove me to work 2 miles away.

At 2:36, I hadn't heard anything so I asked for a progress report. I was told the car would be ready in 20 minutes.
At 2:46 I was told the car would be ready in 20 minutes "more or less."
At 3:38 I was told my car was ready. They sent me a Lyft and I got my car.

At 3:58, while driving, my screen froze and got pixellated. Also my speakerphone stopped working. The center screen completely froze. THIS HAD NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE.

In not the friendliest mood ever, I called the dealership and asked to speak to the Service Manager. She said that I needed to bring back the car and this time they'd give me a loaner.

So I drove all the way back to the dealership. When I got there the service manager was on the curb waiting for me. When I told her that my car wasn't broken until they fixed it, she unapologetically stated, "Well, we didn't build it."

No acceptance of responsibility. No apology. No sympathy whatsoever. I doubt that's how GM would train managers who deal with customers who have received terrible service but I could be wrong. I've been wrong before...like when I brought in my car to that dealership to get it serviced.

Now I have an ICE loaner and I'm awaiting some stupid reason why it's not their fault that they broke my car.

Not the best way to start off my relationship as a new Chevrolet/GM owner.

Beware of this recall. I'm not the only person whose car was broken after they tried to fix it.

Sorry that you had a rough day of it. It can be frustrating for all when things don't go as planned. Hopefully it will go better tomorrow. Don't forget too that it sounds like it was a tough day at your Dealer Service. Good luck on your repairs!

BarfOMatic said:
mod edit: Please be polite.

Dude, the guy took his car in for an update, and now its broken. Now he's driving a POS ICE car. On top of al that, he's giving us a heads up that all may not be well with this update. Let's not be that way.

If you don't like dealing with sick people, don't get a job as a doctor. If you don't like dealing with unhappy customers, don't go into customer service. we all overlook bad attitudes when things go right, and they become a focal point when things go wrong, repeatedly. While the dealer experience may not appear germain to the conversation - it does provide some context - perhaps if you already know your local dealer isn't always on top of things, this might be one of those experiences where you don't want to be first to sign up.

MY takeaway here is that the update may not be fully ready for prime time, and there is no point in rushing out to do it if you are happy with the car as-is.

Sounds like my pending update is coming OTA - interesting. not sure if that's the same one.

I'll plan on watching here for updates.

Update #1

The car has been in service since yesterday afternoon. Service Advisor just informed me: They checked for trouble codes and nothing came up. Technical assistance is saying "It could have been a one time glitch."

It's just weird that it never once glitched until they did the fix to prevent it from glitching.

I'm heading back in my loaner Cruze to pick it up, not entirely buying the whole "one-time glitch" story. Will let you guys know if it happens again.

In the mean time, Tttait is probably right. This update may not be ready for prime time.

No point in rushing.

My case was worse.
I was told I “had a new battery reserved in my name. I needed to make a service appt. “right away” becuase they would only hold such battery for 14 days before giving it to someone else.”

I asked (On a Friday) “When is the soonest I could bring it it?” They said “Next Wednesday”.

I took it in Wednesday and they gave me a crappy gas loaner (not all gas cars are crappy, just this one).

8 days later I call to ask what is taking so long.
“We havn’t touched your car. We’re waiting for a battery. Batteries are hard to come by.”

13 days later they get the battery.
The loaner cost me cash out of pocket on gas.
(I get free charging at work. But no free gas.)
The gas car cost me $25 extra in bridge tolls.
( EV get half price tolls during rush hours. )

Would GM reimburse me?
Nope.

I have the Bolt back.
Was fine before.
Recall department called me. I never called them.
Now it smells like burning plastic inside.
Now my HVAC is not working correctly.
(I can’t blend air between zones, it only blows one zone at a time.)

I’m not happy with Chevrolet either.

ChevyDolt said:
Like everyone else, I was notified of the recall .
Which recall is this? The loss of propulsion bulletin N172127150 "advanced warning if a cell is failing" to flush out those affected 2017 batteries?

The notice for the software update indicates that I do NOT bring the car in, but they will make the update "over the air." The instructions are not very clear, but it seems to say I wait for notice to start the process. The more serious "battery" recall is only for some 2017 Bolts. If I have not received an individual notice via email or postal service, that my car is one of the bad ones, then I don't have a problem. Right?

Yeah, I did check OnStar. But the note on the battery problem is generic. It does not say "me" it just says "some 2017 Bolts." As far as I can tell, anyone clicking on the recall button will get the same generic list of recalls, without indicating which Bolts are involved. And I have not received an individualized notice of the Battery problem by either email or post. My understanding of recalls is that the manufacturer is required to notify the owner individually, which has always been my experience. And I did receive an individual notice of the software update. Am I off track here to be hopeful that my car is not in the "some" category?

I just (Saturday April 14, 2017) took my 2017 Bolt built in January 2017 to the dealer for the Radio and the Battery update.

The Battery update was no longer listed as valid when the clicked "Show details". They did the Infotainment (the one that supposedly enables OTA) update only.

I even ran the battery down to 25% just so the cell voltage "droop" issue could be more easily detected. Now, I'm a little short on charge for my daily galavanting.

Of course, a gasmobile was parked in the spot by the 25kW fast DC charging station. Again.

Yes, the radio and screen froze about a half hour after I picked up my car. Also the integrated phone didn't work. So I had to take the car back immediately to the service department. 22 hours later the car was ready. Again.

They claimed it was a one-time glitch, however it never glitched before the recall service so, it's weird that it would glitch AFTER they did the update that's supposed to fix the glitch.

As of today, it hasn't glitched again.

Did you reboot the radio with HOME&NEXT TRACK held for 10 seconds? If it happens again, try it.

Mine stuck on the Bolt EV logo ONCE with 14.4.0. Rebooted it and it never happened again.

Eriamjh1138 said:
Of course, a gasmobile was parked in the spot by the 25kW fast DC charging station. Again.

Double park and plug your car in next time.

ChevyDolt said:
Yes, the radio and screen froze about a half hour after I picked up my car. Also the integrated phone didn't work. So I had to take the car back immediately to the service department. 22 hours later the car was ready. Again.

They claimed it was a one-time glitch, however it never glitched before the recall service so, it's weird that it would glitch AFTER they did the update that's supposed to fix the glitch.

As of today, it hasn't glitched again.
Many of us have experienced glitches, with various software versions, and various miles on the car.
Did you do a reset, or turn the car off and count to 10 after the initial 'freeze'?
Just curious.
Electronics one-oh-one. Try a reboot before you try anything else.

Back