Is my Bolt in danger of being hacked?

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tarrngtn

Previously we have only owned cars that essentially were not able to communicate with the outside world. Obviously, the Bolt can communicate (Onstar, updating software via airwaves, etc.). This bring up the question of whether we could be hacked remotely. The really scary stories are cars that suddenly stop because they are hacked, or the driver loses control. Or perhaps the car won’t start because it has been hacked. Anyone know anything about this subject? If a problem, is there anything we should do to mitigate? Information would be helpful. Thanks.

Tarrngtn said:
Previously we have only owned cars that essentially were not able to communicate with the outside world. Obviously, the Bolt can communicate (Onstar, updating software via airwaves, etc.). This bring up the question of whether we could be hacked remotely. The really scary stories are cars that suddenly stop because they are hacked, or the driver loses control. Or perhaps the car won’t start because it has been hacked. Anyone know anything about this subject? If a problem, is there anything we should do to mitigate? Information would be helpful. Thanks.
In theory, it's possible. And white hat hackers have demonstrated the ability to break into some cars, although some of these hacks require physical access to the OBC connector.

In practice, nobody has ever reported a hack in the wild.

It seems to me that if someone was going to go to all the trouble to hack your car, the purpose would be to steal it while you weren't there.

I agree.

You have mostly the risk of someone using your wifi in the car (if you pay for it, I do not) or them looking at how many miles you have on the ODO and looking at your battery SOC. Who cares? Who wants to go through the trouble.

I wonder about people possibly cloning the key fob to steal the car though.

Hey, what happens if you are in the car driving and throw the keyfob out the window? Or sit on it (in back pocket) and destroy it?

It is my understanding that the cars that white hat hackers have experimented with were not Bolts, or even EVs, but just standard new ICE cars. Yes?

Back