Trick for opening armrest storage?

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drfoto

I hate having to slide the armrest all the way back to open the storage compartment. After studying the mechanism I see that sliding the armrest forward disengages the opening mechanism by design. Has anyone discovered a way to open the compartment while forward, using a novel technique or nondestructive modification?

You can open the latch with your finger when the lid is forward by pressing on the "button" part of the latch mechanism that would be pressed by the button on the lid. However, I think it would be easier to press the lid back and open it, since that specific part of the mechanism can be difficult to find.

drfoto said:
I hate having to slide the armrest all the way back to open the storage compartment. After studying the mechanism I see that sliding the armrest forward disengages the opening mechanism by design. Has anyone discovered a way to open the compartment while forward, using a novel technique or nondestructive modification?
I doubt there's an easy way to do it nondestructively, but I imagine you could find the lip that the latch clips onto and remove it so that it simply doesn't latch at all no matter what position it's in.

After identifying the small black protrusion with an opening that represents the stable part of the latch mechanism, it was easy enough to cut a thin piece of plastic a mm or two larger than the opening. A thin strip of duct tape holds the plastic in place, preventing the locking hook from closing the latch. The armrest now lifts open in any position from back to most most forward.

Love the new freedom of easy access already!
Mark

Back