Chevy Bolt MyChevy app

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks! Most informative!

This CONFIRMS what I said 2 years ago.

“THE MAXIMUM POSSIBLE CHARGE RATE IN THE FIRST GENERATION BOLT EV IS 60 kw. (Not the often incorrectly reported 80 kw)

This code decipher shows max charge current allowed under “ideal” conditions is 150 amps.
Since the peak voltage allowed is 400 volts:

150 amps x 400 volts = 60,000 watts.

I told everyone here this was obvious just by looking at the graphical display on the dash while on DCFC but no one believed me.

The often quoted Bolt EV manual says you get quickest charge when hooked up to a charger “of 80 kw or more”. This IS NOT telling you the car can charge at 80 kw. Not at all.

On a charger of 80 kw, there is headroom, or capacity available for heating or cooling WHILE 60 kw goes to the battery, and you are using accessories or climate control for yourself while on DCFC.

I have seen 47 kw go to my battery on a 125 amp DCFC. If I turn on cabin heating to high, the kw indicated going to battery drops to 42 kw, slowing my charge rate, and illustrating the common 50 kw 125 amp DCFC does not have enough headroom to conditon the battery, the cabin air, and charge the battery at maximum rate all at the same time.

An 80 kw DCFC COULD charge the BOLT EV at the MAXIMUM 60 kw while conditioning the battery and cabin air at the same time. This is the best case scenario under peak demand scenario.

Mike drop.
Booh Yah.

gpsman said:
On a charger of 80 kw, there is headroom, or capacity available for heating or cooling WHILE 60 kw goes to the battery, and you are using accessories or climate control for yourself while on DCFC.
It's even more fundamental than that. The power rating of DC fast chargers is based on their maximum voltage of 500V, but the actual limit is the current (measured in amps) and not the voltage. So an 80kW charger has a maximum current of 160amps (500V x 160A = 80,000W or 80kW).

BUT - the Bolt maxes out at the mid-300 volts at the low states of charge where the maximum charge rates are possible. At those lower voltage levels the charger is still limited to 160A, and so it will only be able to deliver around 56kW (350V x 160A = 56kW). And THEN you have to subtract any power used for HVAC or battery conditioning.

I saw this today on you tube. The energy assist from my Chevy app commingle to show charge stations along your route.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hr3_N4SmE7k

Very cool. I tried doing this for my upcoming holiday trip, and it didn't find a single charger anywhere along my route. I have done this route many times, and I know there are several DCQC and many more L2s. Chevy needs to figure out a way to integrate with PlugShare or some other source for charging station locations otherwise this is not very helpful.

Back