Pics of your dashcam installed

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SmokingRubber

I'm looking at buying a dashcam in the very near future. I have a BlackVue DR600 in my FJ Cruiser. Love it, but I need a passenger-cam (second IR camera) in the Bolt for Uber driving.

Everyone loves the Bolt btw. I hear "it's like a spaceship" at least 4 or 5 times a night. The blue light across the dash has some magical property that prevents people from getting sick in the car :) Major PLUS!!!! I'm sure that's true because no one has gotten sick yet, and 20 year old college girls will puke at the sight of a Prius LOL.

So where can I put the two cameras and make it look good? The IR camera can go directly above the mirror, and it will look clean. But where can the front facing camera go? I have the Premium model Bolt, so the built-in cameras take up a significant portion of the windshield already. What have you guys done? Are you happy with it? Please post pics of your setup from inside the car and from outside.

I'd like to wait for the DR900 2ch IR model, because it's got a 4k camera ... but I can't find a release date. I might have to buy the 1080p model instead :(

Can you tell us more about your experiences with your dash cams?

I drove Uber the first two years of my three year Volt 1.0 lease and enjoyed the experience. The third year, I let my daughter use the Volt for her 40 mile roundtrip work commute, with HOV access.

I am seriously considering doing it again with my Bolt EV.

I note that Amazon sells the 4K DR900, but for $479.99! It that the price you were expecting?

My previous experience with dashcam was great. It saved me some hassle when a branch bounced off my hood while I was driving. I was on a country road with no witnesses, so it would have been just my word on how the hood got dented. Thankfully I had the dashcam and my claim was "investigated" and approved in about 6 hours. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAAO5rOo-Lk

I still have it in my FJ even though it's not my daily driver. It's hard wired so it's not easy to move, and it's only 1-channel (1 camera). This wouldn't record the interior of the car like I want for Uber driving.

Yes I'm prepared to pay $500+ for it. It's a write-off. That's another reason why I don't want to use my old one, it wouldn't be a write-off because it's about 4 years old.

I want to stick with BlackVue because it looks good, it works great, and I already know and love the app.

The Bolt has been great (for me) for Uber driving. I work my real job 8 hours and I can plug in the Bolt (L2) for free all day. I leave every evening with a full charge! I can drive for Uber for 3 or 4 hours or until I get down to about 50 miles of range, then I've had enough. Plus Uber rides tend to be fairly short with lots of regen braking, so my average MpK is improving. I don't think the Bolt would have enough range to Uber for 8 hours every day, but if you had a L3 close by I'm sure you could slip in a couple 30 minute stops.

So far it's been good. I live near a college town so ferrying kids back and forth to the bars is interesting. I'm from an older generation so it's been entertaining to say the least LOL. Conversation I heard the other night between 3 sorority girls ... "Girl have you been to Guiseppe's? (upscale italian restaurant) ... no ... Next time your parents come to visit, TREAT YO SELF!!!!" I'm still giggling at the way she said it. See, if I had a dashcam I could have posted the video.

Terrific explanation of your use of a dash cam and Uber; thank you for this information!

SmokingRubber said:
See, if I had a dashcam I could have posted the video.

Did you have posted a "disclosure" notice anywhere on the exterior or interior of your Bolt EV warning the Uber passengers of such video/audio recording? Or is this just a future hoped use?

BoltEV said:
Terrific explanation of your use of a dash cam and Uber; thank you for this information!

SmokingRubber said:
See, if I had a dashcam I could have posted the video.

Did you have posted a "disclosure" notice anywhere on the exterior or interior of your Bolt EV warning the Uber passengers of such video/audio recording? Or is this just a future hoped use?

No, there are no signs posted yet because there's no dashcam installed (in the Bolt) yet.

The sorority girl's conversation is an example of something that was really only funny because of the way she said it. The way she said it just made me chuckle. They weren't overly drunk or behaving in a shameful manner but a video would tell the story better than I can. I don't intend to post videos of people in my car. I might show my wife though LOL.

My real reason for wanting a camera is 100% self-preservation. I don't want it to be JUST my word against theirs if I'm accused of something. Video and audio evidence goes a long way at court!!!! It's not 100% foolproof but it's better than nothing.

The point of this thread is to solicit pictures of dashcams installed in the Bolt. How much does it obstruct your view? How hard was it to hide the wires? What does the cabin view look like?

The Bolt is an excellent vehicle for part-time Uber driving so I can't believe I'm the only one doing it. If you're considering doing it PLEASE use my referral code. We will both receive a $50 bonus. MATTB61882UE Referral amounts and minimum trip requirements vary from city to city so we may get a larger bonus if you're in a hot market.

SmokingRubber said:
The Bolt is an excellent vehicle for part-time Uber driving so I can't believe I'm the only one doing it. If you're considering doing it PLEASE use my referral code. We will both receive a $50 bonus. MATTB61882UE Referral amounts and minimum trip requirements vary from city to city so we may get a larger bonus if you're in a hot market.
I am already a "driver" for Uber, back in my Volt 1.0 days, as I mentioned above. I can reinstate my authorization to drive upon getting my Bolt EV inspected by them.

BoltEV said:
SmokingRubber said:
I am already a "driver" for Uber, back in my Volt 1.0 days, as I mentioned above. I can reinstate my authorization to drive upon getting my Bolt EV inspected by them.

Well, the Bolt wll pass with flying color. I took my car to Jiffy-Lube for the inspection and it was free (they bill Uber). It was a walk-up inspection. No wait, no cost, and no problem. I was in and out in less than 10 minutes.

I recommend it to anyone looking for a little extra cash. It's no get-rich scheme, but you have no boss and you can work at your leisure. You can clock-in for 10 minutes or for 6 hours, anytime day or night. Nothing on TV? Go make a little money driving around town instead. That's just my 2 cents.

Range is your only limitation. If you're only doing it part-time then you probably won't have any range issues. My max range is usually around 170-180 miles (hilltop off). Which SUCKS, but it hasn't been an issue. I don't get anywhere near 238 and I never have. Still, I can drive 3 or 4 hours a night and still get home with at least 30 for my morning commute.

Back