Software update for the battery

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drmikeb

Chevy has come out with a recommended software upgrade for the traction battery.This supposedly prevents the battery from showing an incorrect charge when it is nearly empty. Early reports suggested that the upgrade actually limited the available charge in the battery (i.e. it would indicate empty well before it truly was). What is the current opinion of this upgrade?

If you're talking about the upgrade that was first released several months ago, I had it applied to my 2017 Bolt without any problems. It does reset some of the information used to calculate range, which can result in inaccurate range estimates until you've gone through a couple of charge cycles. But it doesn't affect the charge level display (green bars on the left side of the instrument cluster).

It's best to charge drop the car off for the update with the battery charged to 100% to minimize the erroneous range display - I did that the displayed ranges seemed perfectly normal to me.

Back