2020 owners!

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gpsman

Any 2020 owners out there?

I'm interested to hear your DCFC experiences.

I have read elsewhere the max. DCFC rate is still 55 kw but it now charges at high rate at much colder temperatures, and maybe, just maybe for a wider swath of battery state of charge range. Chevy advertised 1.5 times faster charging in cold weather and 1.1 times faster charging in mild weather.

I see a reduction in charge speed at 60 degrees so 2020 may have more advantages then people realize. Anyone try it yet? Would love to see a new charge curve and where the step downs are for 2020. My 3 year lease is up soon on my 2017.

Also you probably heard the battery is 10% more capacity (66 kWh vs 60 kWh now) yet weighs about 15 pounds less.

I'm doing my first DCFC in my 2020 now.

I have noticed on a 58-60 degree day it is not stair stepping down on the charge rate. It has been a slow continuous taper down in charge rate. Started at 35% battery and 44kw charge rate and it has been a slow taper down. Now at 85% charge and 20 kw charge rate.

35% to 81% in 60 minutes and 30.05 kWh added.

19 kW charge rate at 90%
18 kW charge rate at 91%
17 kW charge at 93%.
16 kw charge at 95%
16 kw charge at 96%
16 kw charge at 97%
14 kw charge at 98%
12 kw charge at 98.5% (interpolated)
10 kw charge at 99%
8 kw for 2-3 minutes.
7 kw read-out says 100% on Chargepoint and FULL on My Chevy App
6 kw continues for 3 minutes
5 kw continues for 3 minutes
4 kw continues for 6 minutes
Done.

3 miles added to range in last 12 minutes past "FULL / 100%"

gpsman said:
I'm doing my first DCFC in my 2020 now.

I have noticed on a 58-60 degree day it is not stair stepping down on the charge rate. It has been a slow continuous taper down in charge rate. Started at 35% battery and 44kw charge rate and it has been a slow taper down. Now at 85% charge and 20 kw charge rate.

35% to 81% in 60 minutes and 30.05 kWh added.

19 kW charge rate at 90%
18 kW charge rate at 91%
17 kW charge at 93%.
Then I had to go.

That's very interesting, thanks for sharing! I've often wondered why Chevy implemented a staircase taper profile rather than a more typical constant-voltage taper. Interesting that it looks like they fixed that on the 2020. I wonder how much difference it makes in practice, though.

I'm still eagerly waiting for someone to come up with plots of the profile.

Did they do anything about the thinly padded seats that is the #1 complaint of owners? It's pretty much mentioned in every single review of the car since it came out, and is likely to continue to effect sales.

Seats as far as I can tell (Fabric / LT) are exactly the same.

Oh I also noticed on that 50-60 degree day (about 58 - 60 at time of charging (noon) but the battery could have been a tad colder) it was adding heat from the DCFC for battery conditioning because I could hear all the fluids moving around while cabin climate control was set to off. And it wasn't cooling the battery because it did this in the first minute and was only drawing 43-44 kW at the peak. In my 2017 I could hear the fluids start moving about 20 to 30 minutes into a 50kw DCFC.

The Pedestrian Warning sound is louder and increases with speed up to 24/25 MPH and there is a speaker at the rear used only when in R. Also when you shift to P the sounds gradually fade away vs. be instant off. I can hear the sounds on the freeway in slow n go traffic surrounded by gassers so at first I thought I had "trouble under the hood". Seems way overkill so I'll be looking for a way to mute this vs. pull the fuse since it has some value in parking lots. How about an interrupt switch on the dash that resets after 5 minutes, and with every "key" cycle so you won't accidentally leave it off for long term?

But the "charge level target" feature is nice where you can stop charging at anywhere between 40% and 100% vs. a fixed "hilltop reserve" and it projects how many miles you will get from that partial charge. Did 2019's do that?

Another "bad" change. (Not sure what year this change happened.)

In my 2017 you could press the fan speed button repeatedly and the speed would decrease .... 3, 2, 1, 0 with zero being off.

In the 2020 the fan speed stops at 1.
There is no way to turn off the fan via button.
Only touch screen.
I do not view this as an improvement. Why????

gpsman said:
Any 2020 owners out there?

I'm interested to hear your DCFC experiences.

Hi This is my first post, but my 2nd EV. I also own a MB B250. This post is for a 2020 Bolt Premier, Black.

I fast charged over the weekend. It was my first time using a DCFC, it was pouring rain, and the card reader wouldn't work on the EA charger, so I was pretty wet by the time I was done. I did get the app to work and was able to start the 350kw charger. It was 51 degrees. I could not see the charger screen through the rain but this is what I know.

I went from 18% to 73% in 49 minutes. I added 37kw (delivered) to the battery for $13. The max rate was 54.61 kw, it started at 52-53 kw. It appears the battery went up by 36kwh. I averaged 45kw and there were no big step downs.

Thanks. Looks like keeping the battery low is the best method to save time at a DCFC. Lower end speed of charge looks better than the 2017 model year. But the top end of charging is as slow or maybe slower than before.

Darn. I'm sure these decisions are made for good reason.

Just saw a post on Reddit that bulletin 20-NA-053 - DC Fast Charge Robustness Improvements has been issued for 2017-2019 Bolts the enable the 2020 DCFC charging curve to be applied to all models.

I assume there is a cost for the service, but the improvements seem worth it. Has anyone with an older model had this done?

I've only done it twice. And never bottom to top all at once. But with outside temps in the 60's I get this:

I have a graph that I saved as .jpg but I can't get it to post here. Any ideas?

Hi everyone , I just pick up my new 2020 bolt on Tuesday , and boy am I having fun, I haven't been this excited about a car since my first car. I don't care what they say about the Tesla this car hits my pleasure spot as I go zipping on by the gas stations. I live in Plattsburgh Ny and there no DC chargers here for me to test fast charging except Tesla of course, just level 2 ,and my closes DC charger is in Burlington vt, or Albany Ny. So it looks like i have a road trip to try, anybody in my area with an EV what to go.?

gpsman said:
Another "bad" change. (Not sure what year this change happened.)

In my 2017 you could press the fan speed button repeatedly and the speed would decrease .... 3, 2, 1, 0 with zero being off.

In the 2020 the fan speed stops at 1.
There is no way to turn off the fan via button.
Only touch screen.
I do not view this as an improvement. Why????
I view this as an improvement on my 2019 (after three years of my 2017).

Now I can just keep pushing the button to get down to 1 and not accidentally turn off the Climate Control, which is safer while I am driving.

In the moderate winters in Los Angeles, I frequently heat the seats, push the HEAT butoon to turn off the heat, push the AUTO button twice to get fresh outside air and push the fan speed down to 2 or 1.

When I want to turn the Climate Control completely OFF, there is a separate control for that

I am hoping to pick up an Oasis Blue 2020 Bolt Premier before the end of the month.
I read the post of the new owner near Plattsburgh, NY with interest. We live west of Philadelphia, PA. I told my wife that the first long road trip with the car will probably be a Labor Day ( her birthday ) long weekend trip to Montreal. The hotel ,where we usually stay on the south shore of the St. Laurence river, has free parking, and a free ( for hotel guests ) Level 2 charger in the parking lot. It is also located about 900 yards/meters from the nearest Metro stop, if we do not want to drive into the city. There is a Holiday Inn Express in Saugerties, NY, that also has a Level 2 Guest charger in the parking lot. We can stay there on the first night, and charge while we sleep.
So, we will be zipping past Plattsburgh, NY, unless we stop at the Friendly's for lunch.

We are looking for 100 owners of a Chevy Bolt to participate in a 2 minute survey for a $5 amazon gift card. If you are interested, please click the link below. At the end of the survey you’ll be asked for your email address so we can send your gift card. The survey is being conducted by Corus, a market research firm.

https://cor.us/surveys/DC4E17

corus said:
We are looking for 100 owners of a Chevy Bolt to participate in a 2 minute survey for a $5 amazon gift card. If you are interested, please click the link below. At the end of the survey you’ll be asked for your email address so we can send your gift card. The survey is being conducted by Corus, a market research firm.

there trying to sell protection plans for you car.... and if you say NO, you don't qualify for the survey, and you just wasted time answering the questions.. :?

CJIMI said:
I am hoping to pick up an Oasis Blue 2020 Bolt Premier before the end of the month.
I read the post of the new owner near Plattsburgh, NY with interest. We live west of Philadelphia, PA. I told my wife that the first long road trip with the car will probably be a Labor Day ( her birthday ) long weekend trip to Montreal. The hotel ,where we usually stay on the south shore of the St. Laurence river, has free parking, and a free ( for hotel guests ) Level 2 charger in the parking lot. It is also located about 900 yards/meters from the nearest Metro stop, if we do not want to drive into the city. There is a Holiday Inn Express in Saugerties, NY, that also has a Level 2 Guest charger in the parking lot. We can stay there on the first night, and charge while we sleep.
So, we will be zipping past Plattsburgh, NY, unless we stop at the Friendly's for lunch.

Trip sound fun ..
I hate to tell you this , but Friendly's is closed. LOL. There is a Dc fast charger at the rest area on 87 north, Glens Falls Ny.. that it for Dc fast charge until you get to Montreal... about 150m away. Plenty of battery for the trip, and there level 2 all around around here... Beep on the way by I am sure I'll hear you. :lol:

TurboX said:
corus said:

there trying to sell protection plans for you car.... and if you say NO, you don't qualify for the survey, and you just wasted time answering the questions.. :?
I never purchase protection plans, I checked that box, and I completed the survey and gave them my email address for the $5 Amazon cash card.

AND: that’s “they’re” not there!

Back