From a Leaf to a Bolt: Early Returns

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We just went all-electric with the purchase of a Bolt for my wife. That one follows my CPO Tesla Model S85 that I got in Aug '17. We were in line for a Model 3, got an invitation to configure in January, but my wife wanted no part of the display screen, does not like sedans, requires a hatchback for the activities she is involved with, and is still mad at me for converting her land line phone to a flip phone.

She's extremely happy with her Bolt (except for the screen-controlled radio), and I'm extremely happy that we are an all-EV family.

A couple side notes:

1. I am guesstimating that the brakes on my Tesla will go 250K miles. The regenerative braking on her Bolt is so good, I'm wondering if she will ever need a brake job.

2. We just spent a day driving her longest distance route (about 190 mi round trip with lots of elevation changes) to scout out the most accessible charging stations in the event that she should need a quick charge on the way home. Most only have one SAE Combo port available. Makes one really appreciate what Tesla has done for its clients with its Supercharger network.

I like this conversation. Of course different people will have different requirements. I have a 2014 Leaf right now that has good points and bad.
I have not been happy with Nissan or their dealerships. A bigger problem is that my son is a hockey goalie. I can fit his bag in the car with the seats down, but then my wife can't come with us. Ths is fine for practices, but for games we end up using our Prius V so we can all go. I'd love the range of the Bolt, although I don't always need it. I have compared it side to side with the Leaf, and it doesn't seem much larger in cargo area. I'd love user feedback about that. Maybe I am wrong. But the "perfect" EV for me would be a direct replacement of my old Honda Element, AWD and all. If I could get that with a bolt battery and a range of even 125 miles I would buy it tomorrow. I just need a bigger more flexible vehicle, and my family doesn't like to ride in my 84 F250.

A bigger problem is that my son is a hockey goalie. I can fit his bag in the car with the seats down, but then my wife can't come with us.

The bag won't fit with one rear seat up and one down? Yikes.

LeftieBiker said:
A bigger problem is that my son is a hockey goalie. I can fit his bag in the car with the seats down, but then my wife can't come with us.

The bag won't fit with one rear seat up and one down? Yikes.

It's not nice to refer to his wife as "the bag" !! :D

It's okay, she isn't on this forum. But in all seriousness a hockey goalie doesn't travel light. I firmly believe that people should buy as much car as they need and no more, and that gear will drive my next decision. I hope there are good options. So far that electric VW bus is nothing but vaporware.

DanDietrich said:
It's okay, she isn't on this forum. But in all seriousness a hockey goalie doesn't travel light. I firmly believe that people should buy as much car as they need and no more, and that gear will drive my next decision. I hope there are good options. So far that electric VW bus is nothing but vaporware.

Have you considered a roof box? The extra cargo space it affords allows me to drive a reasonably sized car, while still having the ability to carry more stuff when needed.

Back