Zyr

Winter Tires

Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:16 pm

My Bolt has 215/50R17 standard tires when I got it this summer. I will need winter tires living in Eastern Canada - it has been suggested by dealer that I get 16” rims and 215/55 R16 for winter. Thoughts/comments from the community? Thanks.

SeanNelson

Re: Winter Tires

Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:08 pm

I bought a second set of OEM wheels and put Michelin X-Ice XI3 tires on them. I had these tires (in a different size) on my previous car, a Prius C, as well. I'm in Vancouver, where we don't get a ton of snow - but I've been pretty happy with the Michelins on those occasions where I go up into the mountains.

Zyr

Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:39 pm

Thanks for the note , did you get the tire pressure sensors as well?

SeanNelson

Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:04 pm

Zyr wrote:Thanks for the note , did you get the tire pressure sensors as well?

Yes, I did, along with the tool that you use to allow the car to "learn" the new sensors when you switch tires:

https://www.amazon.ca/AUGOCOM-El-50448- ... oding=UTF8

marspilgrim

Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:24 am

I need tires by Thanksgiving also but I'm not thrilled about a winter set, swapping them and storing them. But I have the advantage that I am pretty much only local commuting and running errands in the suburbs of Chicago, about 20 miles a day typically. I can charge at home at L2 so I'm going to give up some range and get the Nokian WR G4. That will cover the winter extremes we seem to be moving towards and should do much better in the wet too.
2017 Bolt EV Premier

JeffN

Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:10 pm

marspilgrim wrote:I need tires by Thanksgiving also but I'm not thrilled about a winter set, swapping them and storing them. But I have the advantage that I am pretty much only local commuting and running errands in the suburbs of Chicago, about 20 miles a day typically. I can charge at home at L2 so I'm going to give up some range and get the Nokian WR G4. That will cover the winter extremes we seem to be moving towards and should do much better in the wet too.

Please let us know how they work out.

I got Goodyear WeatherReady tires back in March at the tail end of winter. They are in a similar “winter-rated all-season” market niche. I only drove briefly in snow for a day while on a trip to Canada. They seemed to do well but I’ll have more experience this winter. I’m happy with them so far.

Return to “Chevrolet Bolt Reviews”