Rate Chevy Bolt

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diggle

If you had to give a rating to Chevy Bolt on a scale from one to ten how would you rate it? Excited to see the ratings the Chevy Bolt Forum members give the car!

I'm planning to replace my current car with Chevy Bolt EV so I might be a little biased :D but I'd give it a solid 7 any day!

Well this is a really vague question.

If I'm rating it for how well it is designed to meet the needs/desires of the typical American driver, I would rate it about a 5. Its range is enough, but it's not supported with any infrastructure. GM has stated they will do nothing to change that. Also, the car is small. Americans love their monster SUVs, and this thing is tiny by 2016 standards. I think many will be put off by its size alone. It's also still very expensive (compared to gas cars), starting at $37,500. I don't know how many non-enthusiasts will buy it.

As an electric car, I would rate it a 9. It really hits many of the things that an electric needs - solid range, quick performance, affordable price. Given the state of technology, it is a huge step forward.

As far as meeting what I am looking for, it's probably about a 7. It hits much of my needs - long range, pure EV (I will never buy another gas-powered car, not even a hybrid), room for the family, and quick performance. It is missing a few things, though. I really hate the narrow/tall body style. I long for something low and wide; a sports-car stance. This car's focus is on being a people mover, and I want something that's much more engaging to drive. So will I buy one? Maybe. Tesla's Model III hits all the notes that the Bolt misses for me. But with Tesla I have concerns about the car's build quality, and the company's longevity. I also worry about service - there are tons of Chevy dealers, no Tesla service locations within 100 miles though.

GetOffYourGas said:

If I'm rating it for how well it is designed to meet the needs/desires of the typical American driver, I would rate it about a 5. Its range is enough, but it's not supported with any infrastructure. GM has stated they will do nothing to change that. Also, the car is small. Americans love their monster SUVs, and this thing is tiny by 2016 standards. I think many will be put off by its size alone. It's also still very expensive (compared to gas cars), starting at $37,500. I don't know how many non-enthusiasts will buy it.

As an electric car, I would rate it a 9. It really hits many of the things that an electric needs - solid range, quick performance, affordable price. Given the state of technology, it is a huge step forward.

As far as meeting what I am looking for, it's probably about a 7. It hits much of my needs - long range, pure EV (I will never buy another gas-powered car, not even a hybrid), room for the family, and quick performance. It is missing a few things, though. I really hate the narrow/tall body style. I long for something low and wide; a sports-car stance. This car's focus is on being a people mover, and I want something that's much more engaging to drive. So will I buy one? Maybe. Tesla's Model III hits all the notes that the Bolt misses for me. But with Tesla I have concerns about the car's build quality, and the company's longevity. I also worry about service - there are tons of Chevy dealers, no Tesla service locations within 100 miles though.

Your take on the Chevrolet Bolt was really interesting. Thanks for sharing with Chevy Bolt Forum.

GetOffYourGas said:

That was a great review! Enjoyed reading your take on Chevrolet Bolt EV. I'm sure other Chevrolet Bolt EV Forum members will enjoy too. Why don't you share it on a different thread?

Based on the reviews I give it a solid 8. I do like the perspective about the lack of infrastructure taking the rating down a bit. I think it's important to hold the manufacturers accountable to provide in part at least the systems to make these vehicle practical to all

Just by the marketing alone I think the Bolt will beat the Ioniq in initial sales

Too soon.

From Internet research, and countless glowing reviews, I was convinced that I was going to buy a Volt...that is, until I drove one. Lesson learned: Don't believe everything you read on the Internet.

oilerlord said:
Too soon.

From Internet research, and countless glowing reviews, I was convinced that I was going to buy a Volt...that is, until I drove one. Lesson learned: Don't believe everything you read on the Internet.
Yeah, I was all ready to buy a 2nd generation Volt too until I actually was able to sit in the back seat and try to peer out the rear window while driving it. And since the Bolt had already been announced by the time I was able to take that test drive I decided to wait.

So far I'm glad I waited - the Bolt looks like it's going to be a lot closer to the kind of car I want than the Volt is. Too bad it doesn't have ACC, though. I'm optimistic that I'll still want one even after I'm able to take it for a spin.

I wanted to drive electric but then it became an exercise in finding one with the fewest compromises we could live with. We "settled" on the Mercedes, mostly because it had the most usable interior space at the price we wanted to pay. It's 36kWh battery is larger than most of the units offered in other compliance EV's on the market. The Tesla designed battery & drivetrain was a bonus too.

It's funny how much bigger the Volt looks in pictures, but how small it is when you're sitting behind the wheel. The Bolt looks like the "right" size, I hope GM does well with it.

Hi all, this'll be my first post and as such, I hope it doesn't ruffle too many feathers, but does manage to breathe life back into the thread.
Keeping in mind ratings are completely arbitrary and actual qualities and values will differ with each of us;

As an EV: 8 ( I think anything above that would have to offer a minimum of 310mile/500km range, regardless of price point)

Traction: 4.5
(it's literally all over the place under sudden acceleration or winding roads and prone to excessive wheel spin.Take care in mountain driving, especially on wet roads!)
(NOTE: VERY STABLE through normal commuting conditions)

External Aesthetics(Purely arbitrary): 6.5~7.0
Interior Aesthetics(Again, purely arbitrary): 7

Acceleration(relative to price point): 8.5~9.0

Infotainment: 6.5(Seriously? No on-board navigation?)

Driver's Console: 8

Regenerative Breaking: 9.5 (Absolutely AMAZING regenerative breaking system! KUDOS ENGINEERS!)

Visibility: 8.5

Drive Comfort: 8

Seating Space(Relative to class): 9

Trunk: 6.5 - 7.0

I'll rate it's value(relative to me, personally) after a month or 2.
Several key points for why I'm buying the Bolt now though...

1- It's the only EV currently available that offers my range demands.

2- It's the only EV with acceptable range that I could actually get hold of to purchase.

3- OUTSTANDING TORQUE! (Although, the car doesn't have nearly enough traction to to full advantage of it.)

Taking delivery of my Midnight Grey LT in 2 weeks, but, would have preferred a Leaf with comparable range.
Just refuse to go another month in my Legacy, it's killing me at the pumps! $65CAD per tank and with the driving I do, it's 3-4 tanks a week.
It's an unstoppable tank in the winter and admittedly, worth every penny through that season. Unfortunately, costs way too much through every other season. Going to keep it though, in case the Bolt ends up slipping and siding through it's first winter in Toronto.

I'm pretty sure Nissan and Tesla will raise the bar with their upcoming offerings as the ergonomics and overall drive of said offerings are already well ahead of the Bolt.

Anyone care to share their opinion of my breakdown?

I'd also like to take this opportunity to coin the term, "Gateway EV" in reference to the vehicles like the Leaf and the Bolt as, the only natural or even logical next purchase or upgrade, would be to buy a Tesla. Of any current or future line. :mrgreen:

GoEV4uNme said:
I'd also like to take this opportunity to coin the term, "Gateway EV" in reference to the vehicles like the Leaf and the Bolt as, the only natural or even logical next purchase or upgrade, would be to buy a Tesla. Of any current or future line. :mrgreen:

Frankly, at the end of a Bolt lease (2020), there should be so many different 200+ mile range EVs that one shouldn't have to settle for just a Tesla. You should be able to get a high-quality car, without assembly issues (as have been routinely seen in the Model S) which require multiple trips back to the store to get them all fixed.

SparkE said:
Frankly, at the end of a Bolt lease (2020), there should be so many different 200+ mile range EVs that one shouldn't have to settle for just a Tesla. You should be able to get a high-quality car, without assembly issues (as have been routinely seen in the Model S) which require multiple trips back to the store to get them all fixed.

Although I hope you're exactly right, I get the feeling GM and most other American and Asian car manufacturers aren't investing as whole-heartedly in the EV market as Tesla. Fact is, they've had all this time to make an honest effort at it and are only coming around, now?
Funny how they only made an actual effort after having been put to shame by a motivated immigrant kid(relatively speaking).
The technology has essentially been around for a while now and if not the tech, the people who could have done something about it.
GM and other manufacturers are still too heavily invested in big-engine vehicles that are far more profitable for them than EVs.

Tesla(even with it's inconsistencies) has already shown strong growth and unmatched efficiency toward progress in the industry.
Just Google "GM Recall" or replace "GM" with the manufacturer of your choice and you'll see that it's all par for the course.
You really can't compare a Bolt or a Leaf to a Tesla. Any Tesla. It's like comparing apple pie to an 8 course meal. I give credit to GM for beating Tesla to the price point punch, but, it looks nowhere near as sleek or aesthetically pleasing as the Model 3 and I dare guess it won't perform as well, either. Regardless of what happens in the future with Tesla or Musk's companies, he's already succeeded in what he set out to do; show that it's not only possible, but unavoidable to make the change to renewable and sustainable energy.

But, I digress... it seems we've both gone off topic for this thread as it's meant to be about rating the Chevy Bolt. :mrgreen:

EV aspects: 9. The Bolt's range eliminates any issues I have with frequent day trips (commonly 50-70 miles for me, sometimes up to 150 miles or so). Main areas of possible improvement:
* Charging infrastructure for occasional longer trips (not completely under car company's control beyond the choice of SAE, CHADEMO, or Tesla sockets, though likely to improve in the future).
* Ability to specify a level other than 100% or 90% (hilltop) to charge to.

Non-EV-specific car aspects: 8 for me, but probably 5 for the average driver.
* Small station wagon format is very space and footprint efficient. I like this, but lots of people prefer sedans (e.g. Model 3) or sportier cosmetic styling (e.g. Volt) despite the loss of practicality.
* Suspension is on the firmer side for better handling. I like this (and so do most magazine reviewers), but lots of people prefer a softer ride and do not care about handling.
* Sportier seats are fine with me, but wider people are likely to complain about the big firm bolsters.
* Front and side visibility is better than in many cars. But rear and rear side visibility is not great when driving in reverse (though some other cars are worse); the various parking aid features do help here.
* The instrument panel is easy to look at (I use the dark theme all the time) and the information it shows is the useful set.
* The large touch screen is nice to look at. However, using the radio presets by feel on the touch screen really requires putting feelable stickers next to where they are, or using the steering wheel buttons. It is odd that the recirculation and heat/AC buttons on the climate control are in the touch screen instead of using hard buttons like the other climate controls.

I would rate it a four or five. If the seats in the Bolt weren't so bad, I would rate it six or seven. It's still an economy car on a very, very expensive electric platform.

I haven't driven the all electric Ioniq, but I did drive the hybrid. If Chevy had put the interior of the Ioniq inside the Bolt, I would have bought a Bolt.

An 8 for me. Range, appearance, handling, performance, comfort - all mostly fine with me. I'd buy it again as is.
Is everything perfect? Seats, glare, etc. - no, but you'll find issues with every car.

cranial1963 said:
An 8 for me. Range, appearance, handling, performance, comfort - all mostly fine with me. I'd buy it again as is.
Is everything perfect? Seats, glare, etc. - no, but you'll find thing issues in every car.

YEP #2

Back