dDF

Re: The Chevy Bolt Is the Ugly Car of the (Very Near) Future

Wed May 24, 2017 10:51 pm

What the Bloomberg pen-pusher (along with many others) overlooked is that the Bolt ushered in the era of pragmatic, affordable long-range EV's. Not everybody invests money into a car to salivate over its (supposedly) "sexy" shape. I need my car to carry my work gear, for which I need a hatch rather than a narrowly opening trunk. High driving position is an additional bonus.

Bumnsun

Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:38 am

Just leased a bolt in July

Burnt orange
Premier option
Installed the 240v charger at home

Luv the looks
Luv the ride
Luv the range
Luv not tied to OPEC chatter

Thanks Chevy. Luv car

oilerlord

Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:03 pm

Bumnsun wrote:Just leased a bolt in July

Burnt orange
Premier option
Installed the 240v charger at home

Luv the looks
Luv the ride
Luv the range
Luv not tied to OPEC chatter

Thanks Chevy. Luv car

Hey! Welcome to the forum.

I dig that orange too. Enjoy your Bolt!
2014 Mercedes B-Class Electric Drive
2012 VW Jetta Sportwagen (not-so-clean-diesel) TDI
2008 BMW X3 3.0 "Beatrice"
2004 BMW 330Xi Sedan
My 9.2kW DC Solar: https://easyview.auroravision.net/easyview/index.html?entityId=7466210

PV1

Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:09 pm

What I find amusing about EVs in general is that everyone has to find something negative to say about them. "Oh, well the Model S can only go 300 miles before needing a charge." Really? :|

The Bolt is a substantial vehicle that opens up electric transportation to a LOT of people. It's roomy, comfortable (at least mine is), got lots of go, and more than enough range for a daily drive. Like Bumnsun, mine's also Orange Burst, and even though it wasn't my first color choice, it is a sharp looking car. What I think got it the negative comments about all the black and chrome is that car reviewers are used to bland cars. There's not much to tell apart a Camry from a Corolla or Versa. The Bolt actually looks like a $40,000 vehicle. The chrome strips, along with the black accents, complement the orange very well. Even looking under the hood or in the door jambs, the metallic paint follows through (even though under the hood isn't clear-coated as it shouldn't be, the metallic is there and isn't just overspray). I really like the lights. The headlights are sharp whether they're on or off. The taillights are instantly recognizable, and you can never have enough side markers. Even the red lenses in the bumper have lights in them that come on if you open the hatch with the exterior lights on. Doesn't anyone like a car anymore that looks different?

Then again, everybody trashed the i-MiEV (Consumer Reports and The Fast Lane car borderline lying in their "reviews"), but I happen to really like mine. I find it funny that one car gets marked as cramped and rough-riding and the other doesn't, but both ride the same and have almost identical dimensions.
2012 i-MiEV ES with quick charge - White
2012 i-MiEV ES with quick charge - Silver
2017 Bolt EV LT - Orange Burst

11.8 kW Solar Array

oilerlord

Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:05 pm

PV1 wrote:The Bolt actually looks like a $40,000 vehicle...Doesn't anyone like a car anymore that looks different?

Then again, everybody trashed the i-MiEV (Consumer Reports and The Fast Lane car borderline lying in their "reviews"), but I happen to really like mine. I find it funny that one car gets marked as cramped and rough-riding and the other doesn't, but both ride the same and have almost identical dimensions.

Meh, to each their own. Some people like apples, some prefer oranges...that all it is.

I almost bought an i-MiEV but couldn't get past the bare-bones, and "different" styling - even though I absolutely recognize those as attributes that i-MiEV owners love. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and everyone is entitled to their opinion (that we're free to respectfully disagree with). To me, the Bolt doesn't look, ride, or handle like a $40,000 vehicle but that doesn't take away from it being an outstanding overall value for $40,000, or take anything away from owners that love them. It's just an opinion.

Some cars look more expensive than they are. Case in point: Tesla Model 3.
2004 BMW 330Xi Sedan
My 9.2kW DC Solar: https://easyview.auroravision.net/easyview/index.html?entityId=7466210

TimBolt

Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:41 pm

PV1 wrote:
The Bolt actually looks like a $40,000 vehicle. .

Looks are subjective, but to me the Bolt looks like a $20k vehicle sitting on top of a $15k drivetrain.

The LT trim is very bare bones, all the interior surfaces are hard plastic, and it's missing a lot of features that are pretty common on cars costing much much less.

I knew all that before I bought my Bolt, I still think it's a great car.
2017 Bolt LT

gbobman

Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:30 pm

My 2004 Monte Carlo SS was just as plasticky as the Bolt is. It must be a Chevy thing.
2017 Chevy Bolt LT (1st EV!)
2004 Chevy Monte Carlo SS
(found a new home :cry: )

sgt1372

Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:50 am

TimBolt wrote:Looks are subjective, but to me the Bolt looks like a $20k vehicle sitting on top of a $15k drivetrain..

Doesn't look thst way to me. To me, it just looks like a lot of other cars currently sold for $35-40k

Cars in this price range just aren't made the way they use to be. Inflation requiring the use of less costly parts resulting in a cheaper look.

Just the way it is.
My vehicles:

2017 Chevy Bolt
2012 Mercedes ML350 4Matic
2008 BMW 335i
2002 Toyota MR2 Spyder
2002 Ford F250 7.3L 4x4 Longbed Turbodiesel

oilerlord

Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:58 am

sgt1372 wrote:
Doesn't look thst way to me. To me, it just looks like a lot of other cars currently sold for $35-40k

Cars in this price range just aren't made the way they use to be. Inflation requiring the use of less costly parts resulting in a cheaper look.

Just the way it is.

Respectfully, I don't agree.

Sit in a 2017 BMW X1 (MSRP: $33,750) or even the best-selling SUV - the Honda CR-V (MSRP: $33,795). Might change your mind about what $35K can buy. After a day of helping a friend of ours shop for a new SUV - I was blown away at how absolutely luxurious this new crop of SUVs and crossovers are. The Honda at $33,795 is top-end, fully loaded AWD "touring model". Its massive inside with very comfortable seats, nice leather, and soft touch materials used throughout. She ended up buying a Kia Sorento EX 2.0T (MSRP: $33,000) which was just much like the Honda but with a longer warranty and no charge maintenance for the life of the car.

To Tim's point, the "way it is" pertains to building the Bolt to a budget. Something had to give. The Bolt does look like a $20K car sitting atop a $15K drivetrain because it's more or less just that. GM spent a big chunk of the budget on the electric power train & battery...not so much on the rest of the car. I'm only recognizing the choices GM had to make in order to offer a 60 kWh EV at a "game changer" price. All things considered, GM pulled off a small miracle.
2004 BMW 330Xi Sedan

Return to “Chevrolet Bolt Reviews”