First Drive

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NeilBlanchard

I test drove a Bolt EV Premier at the Framingham MA Chevy dealer, with my brother Nathan and my son Nick yesterday. I am 6'-4" and ~225, Nick is 6'-6" and ~245, and Nathan is 6'-7" and ~265.

IMG_20170220_112652_zpsiyuzptk5.jpg

Some impressions from seeing and sitting in the Bolt EV Premier, and brief test drive:

The seats are upright and comfortable, and firm. The Premier has leather seats, and the LT (which we didn't see) has cloth, that are apparently slightly softer. The seat base is narrower than typical, but they still support all three of us.

IMG_20170220_112642_zpsaogn8bxz.jpg

The rear seat is also upright, and only Nathan's head touched the roof if he tilted it back. We had to duck a bit getting in the back seat. The floor is flat all the way across, so the middle seat would be better than most.

Nathan fit in the backseat behind Nick in the driver's seat - this is most impressive, indeed!

IMG_20170220_112631_zps4d2ehrau.jpg

IMG_20170220_112523_zpsmgi7r88s.jpg

The front door openings are great - there is NO rise at the door sill for your feet, so the floor is essentially level. There is a shallow storage bin on the floor between the front seats; otherwise the floor would be flat.

The vision out of the car for the driver is excellent, with even the windshield continuing up high enough to see traffic lights when you are at the stop line (which is much better than many cars for us tall folks). The side window sills are nice and low, making it feel quite open and airy.

IMG_20170220_112438_zpsp9vvassk.jpg

Shifting is very similar to the Leaf, but regenerative braking in L (which is called B in the Leaf) is MUCH stronger, and it offers true "one pedal" driving. You can drive normally using only the accelerator pedal. If you use D, there is a regen switch on the back of the left side of the steering wheel. And regen is integrated onto the brake pedal, as well.

Acceleration is strong - even for a seasoned EV driver. My extended family already has SEVEN EV's. We are familiar with the Nissan Leaf, Mitsubishi i MiEV, VW e-Golf, and BMW i3.

The Bolt EV apparently has a "safety" noise maker, so that people outside the car get a subtle warning. The good news is this is not noticeable to the people inside; as it is on the Leaf and the e-Golf.

IMG_20170220_112304_zpsuygkfhxn.jpg

The lack of easy coasting (by default) is less than ideal. I tested while we were sitting still, and holding it in N does put it into "neutral", so it can coast if you use the "shifter". I didn't do this on the test drive, though.

They DO have a variable regen paddle on the back of the left spoke of the steering wheel. This is only needed in D; because L already has full regen. I found that coasting in L was not really feasible - you can get close, but it easily "slips" to either accelerating or regen. The i3 has a noticeable "detent" when you can feel it coasting - the Bolt EV does not do this.

We did see how the Projection works: if you plug in your Android or Apple smart phone with a USB cord, the phone screen goes black, and some of the apps then show on the car's 10" screen, including the map program - this is how you do sat nav in the Bolt EV.

We did see how the Projection works: if you plug in your Android or Apple smart phone with a USB cord, the phone screen goes black, and some of the apps then show on the car's 10" screen, including the map program - this is how you do sat nav in the Bolt EV.

How easy was it to touch-control apps on that black phone screen?

Thanks for a very good review.

Thanks for mentioning your heights. Upon first glance at the first photo, the Bolt EV looks like a go-kart. I actually thought that this was trick photography or the result of some strange angles while taking the shot. Did you or anyone of your party actually buy/lease? In addition, since I drove an I-Miev for 2 years, how does the Bolt EV compare for seating and roominess?

Just wait till you drive it more than 10 minutes. The car becomes almost unbearable to sit in. seats are a full 2 1/2 inches narrower than the Leaf. See the painful seat thread on this Bolt forum and make sure you drive it at least 20 min around town before you take the plunge.

Gatedad said:
Thanks for mentioning your heights. Upon first glance at the first photo, the Bolt EV looks like a go-kart. I actually thought that this was trick photography or the result of some strange angles while taking the shot. Did you or anyone of your party actually buy/lease? In addition, since I drove an I-Miev for 2 years, how does the Bolt EV compare for seating and roominess?

My brother Nathan had an i MiEV, and so does my Dad and stepmom - the front seat of the Bolt EV fits my brother about as well as the i MiEV, and the back seat of the Bolt EV is much better than the i MiEV.

My brother's son needs a replacement for his Leaf in a month or so, and his wife may well get a Bolt EV fairly soon. My family will be replacing our Leaf by about October.

kdh said:
Just wait till you drive it more than 10 minutes. The car becomes almost unbearable to sit in. seats are a full 2 1/2 inches narrower than the Leaf. See the painful seat thread on this Bolt forum and make sure you drive it at least 20 min around town before you take the plunge.

We will drive it as a family, before we get one. I think the seats will be fine. If the seat is already wider than my butt, it will be fine.

LeftieBiker said:

How easy was it to touch-control apps on that black phone screen?

Thanks for a very good review.

The phone's screen is disabled when using projection. I hope that Chevy expands the number of apps they support - like Plugshare would be great.

kdh said:
Or try one of the ~$50 seat cushions from Amazon that others have had good results with. For example:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Q5HXQ9O/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1PTYU1YEOLOG8&coliid=I2YGWPRCCL4SNQ

Back