Bolt Test Drive

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

like2bike

The Bolt has arrived on Long Island. And I was at the Chevy of Smithtown to drive it on the first weekend after it arrived.

In summary, I would be buying one soon if I didn't already have an EV. I would only be waiting for the soon-to- arrive NY tax rebate program. I will probably wait for the alternatives to trickle in over the next year before buying.

Overall a very fun car to drive with the features I've been hoping for in the next generation of EVs: Regen control, one pedal driving, Android Auto, longer range, a full battery TMS, a flat floor with a nice center console storage bin. And I'm happy to see auto makers finally dropping the built in nav systems. My 2014 Prius v is my the only car with nav. You would think Toyota could have got it right by then. No such luck :sad:.

Upon my first acceleration, the disadvantage of FWD in a car with this much torque was demonstrated. Using the go pedal like I was in the LEAF caused some serious wheel spin. I suppose too much torque is like too much money, no one will complain about it but it could get you in trouble :lol:.

The dealer experience was better than expected. I was happy to see they had a Bolt on the showroom floor. They seemed interested in selling Bolts. However, the salesman seemed not at all surprised I knew more about the car than he did. He was very accepting of my test driving the car without immediate plans to buy one. The only disappointment was the two cars they had both lacked DC fast charger option. As we have already seen, there will be buyer's remorse when these cars get sold to EV newbies who don't understand why they need the option.

What were they thinking with the seats. I see how they could be a deal killer. I would want to gain confidence I could live with them by sitting longer or maybe even bringing a seat cover to the dealer to try.

The rear seat head room is disappointing considering the utilitarian body style. It's a step up from the BMW i3 however.

The shift lever is probably the closest thing to a dealer killer for me. The salesman had to keep reminding to push the unseen button on the side of the lever. Everyone loves the LEAF's simple, easy to use knob. I would forever miss it on this car.

Back