Doug Score Review = 59/100

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oilerlord

Doug DeMuro hasn't been doing reviews long, but unlike a lot of other reviewers, he's the kind of guy I'd like to have a beer with and talk about cars. Doug seems to be one of the few reviewers that (at least in my opinion) hasn't been bought, and isn't afraid to tell it like it is.

I know that the title of his review "Here's Why the Chevy Bolt is the Uncool Electric Car" will no doubt send some folks here in a tizzy, but the review itself is actually quite favorable. He mirrors my thoughts about the car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2ogGZXmepY

When I saw 59/100 I was concerned but having now watched it I see it is actually a good rating on his scale.
Good review that I agree with in a lot of areas. I hope Chevy have seen it and take heed of his very few gripes.

I got so BORED listening to all the minutiae that Doug went into regarding the operation of the Bolt controls that I just skipped forward to try to find his "review" actually driving the car. There was only 3 out of 18 mins devoted to that.

Don't know why he has a 100 point scale when he seldom rates anything higher than 60-70? Didn't agree w/his opinion about the acceleration and handling of the car and thought the rating could/should be higher.

It wasn't a "bad" review but the title is misleading (uncool electric?) and the commentary SO BORING, I can't imagine anyone other than someone REALLY interested in the Bolt would be willing to listen to all of it. I certainly didn't and I already have one. LOL!

sgt1372 said:
I got so BORED listening to all the minutiae that Doug went into regarding the operation of the Bolt controls that I just skipped forward to try to find his "review" actually driving the car. There was only 3 out of 18 mins devoted to that.

Don't know why he has a 100 point scale when he seldom rates anything higher than 60-70? Didn't agree w/his opinion about the acceleration and handling of the car and thought the rating could/should be higher.

On the contrary, I find Doug's reviews quite entertaining, mostly because he tends to review unusual cars (Lexus LFA, Ford GT, Mercedes R63 AMG, Hummer H2, etc.), and finds interesting quirks about them that I never knew, or that other reviewers missed. I think his "Doug Score" is mostly tongue-in-cheek, and something he does't take too seriously either. I think he liked the Bolt a lot more than his 59/100 score would suggest.

You must have skipped forward and missed the part regarding his opinion about how the car accelerates (12:25). He was quite impressed.

He should have rated the Bolt EV higher based on his giddy factor along...Fast forward to 12:20 and look how happy he is (another WOT at 12:48)...If you look at other Doug's reviews, he does not get this happy...

He also got it wrong on why it's uncool, he states it's NOT the styling and IS the Chevy badge...Vettes/Camaros/SS sedans/Silverados wear Chevy badges and are cool...If the Bolt EV wore a Buick or GMC badge, it'd only be a 10% sales boost and if it was a Cadillac, I could see double the sales but that's still a drop in the bucket and overall low sales...The problem is indeed the styling, they took a geeky minivan, made it a tad less minivan-ish, then added the usual geeky EV styling cues...Did you know they made a Mercedes Benz AMG minivan? Yeah, who cares...Bolt EV needs a longer and more horizontal hood/front end...

Bacardi said:
...If it was a Buick or GMC it'd only be a 10% sales boost and if it was a Cadillac, I could see double the sales...
I'm sorry, I just don't get the obsession over Cadillac. The Cadillac marque certainly didn't do any wonders for the luxury version of the Volt.

SeanNelson said:
Bacardi said:
...If it was a Buick or GMC it'd only be a 10% sales boost and if it was a Cadillac, I could see double the sales...
I'm sorry, I just don't get the obsession over Cadillac. The Cadillac marque certainly didn't do any wonders for the luxury version of the Volt.

MSRP of the MY14 Volt $34,995...
MSRP of the MY14 ELR $75,995...

ELR commanded a $41,000 difference for the same low performance and even had less range/mpg...

Additionally, a very forgotten aspect, for MY14, Cadillac offered another very similar vehicle in the ELRs segment...

MSRP of the MY14 CTS Coupe $39,495...

Bacardi said:
SeanNelson said:
Bacardi said:
ELR commanded a $41,000 difference for the same low performance and even had less range/mpg...
Exactly. Why pay for a fancy badge for a BEV just for some luxury trim items if you can get the same basic package in something like a Bolt?

SeanNelson said:
Bacardi said:
SeanNelson said:
Exactly. Why pay for a fancy badge for a BEV just for some luxury trim items if you can get the same basic package in something like a Bolt?

You'd be hard pressed to find anyone willing to pay a $41K premium for a badge change...With it's original $40300 MSRP, the Volt should have been a Cadillac Volt from day one...The $37,495 Bolt EV should have also been a Cadillac...I'd predict double the sales...

Bacardi said:
SeanNelson said:
You'd be hard pressed to find anyone willing to pay a $41K premium for a badge change...With it's original $40300 MSRP, the Volt should have been a Cadillac Volt from day one...The $37,495 Bolt EV should have also been a Cadillac...I'd predict double the sales...
I'm skeptical. I'll be the first to admit that I'm really not very familiar with Cadillac models versus GM's other brands, but I think selling the Volt "as is" as a Cadillac might devalue the brand since, as I understand it, it's missing a lot of features that Cadillac buyers would expect.

I really don't know. I'm just coming from a place where the name "Cadillac" really doesn't inspire me.

I'm with Sean. When I think of Cadillac, I think of overly flashy / overpriced cars. When I think of Buick, I think of cushy old-man cars. When I think of Chevy, I think of affordable every-man cars. But that's just my perception of the brands.

Bacardi said:

Bacardi said:
Why pay for a fancy badge for a BEV just for some luxury trim items if you can get the same basic package in something like a Bolt?

I think by now, everyone realizes that ELR was a mistake, and for those that disagree - watch Doug's review for the ELR. That said, it didn't have to be. Cadillac actually is capable of building a car that can compete with anything in it's class coming out of Europe. There is a demographic that wants to buy a luxury EV, but unfortunately as of now only one company comes to mind that offers one.

My wife and I have been driving European cars for a long time, and (especially my wife) have become accustomed to a level of luxury, and fit & finish that the Germans are famous for. I'm seriously considering a Bolt as my next EV, but in all honesty - it's going to be a tough sell to get my wife on board with it. To her, the Bolt feels cheap.

Every time we go to Vegas, we rent a different car. The last couple of times have included a Lincoln MKX, and a Cadillac CTS - two cars we were both impressed with. In much the same way people haven't given an EV a chance, I think Lincoln and Cadillac deserve a second look. GM could take the Bolt platform as-is, tone down the EV look a tad, and give it a dose of luxury in a re-designed interior including swaddling it in fine leather, soft touch alcantara, and comfortable seats. If they did that, and sold it for less than $50,000 - it would be the Bolt I'd buy off-lease.

oilerlord said:
In much the same way people haven't given an EV a chance, I think Lincoln and Cadillac deserve a second look.
My problem is that my first impression of a Cadillac turns me right off. Those vertical slit headlights just grate on me for some reason.

15,530 Sept Cadillac sales so they must be doing something right...CTS-V and ATS-V are incredible machines...

I cannot recall where I saw it, I saw the Volt was badged a Chevy because GM felt the new tech was a reliability concern, they choose Chevy because they have the most dealerships under the GM umbrella...

Execs have said the ELR was a direct competitor to Tesla and was originally priced so...In addition to the high price, they whiffed on the performance, an issue they did their best to improve on the MY16...They claimed the car was loaded, but you get unusual things no one ever asked for such as a vibrating alert seats and a power cup holder...If they were truly innovative features, they'd be offered on other cars...People would much rather have ACC, which was optional, oddly priced at $1995 yet on the Chevy Impala you could get ACC for $1195...Also all MY14's Caddys CUE infotainment systems, not just the ELR, were terrible and didn't do it any favors...

Cadillac cars, the lower end bases don't even offer sunroof or even power seats (for some reason they do offer a power lumbar and headrest, yet everything else is manual)...

Chevy cars have a ton of options...Some offer vented seats, power lift-gates, power folding third rows, surround cameras, some can park themselves and ACC...

Bacardi said:
15,530 Sept Cadillac sales so they must be doing something right...CTS-V and ATS-V are incredible machines...

I haven't driven a Cadillac CTS since 2006 or so, but it was FUN to drive (I think it was the CTS-V). I was considering buying one used (but ended up with a PZEV hatchback and EV instead). I also almost bought a used Chrysler Crossfire (which is basically the 1st gen Mercedes SLK sold under the Chrysler badge, when Daimler-Benz owned Chrysler). Again, I finally opted for less polluting choices (the Crossfire was also a blast to drive). My midlife crisis only last a few months (probably having something to do with me still having most of my hair - although it is definitely salt-and-pepper these days).

No Mention of:

-- One pedal driving (including holding the car at a stop in "L"),
-- The regen on demand button on the back of the steering wheel?

.. He just mentioned "L" on the gearshift as a novelty? .. What's up with that?

As kind of an EV geek these two items are what put the Bolt above the rest for me..

Bacardi said:
Execs have said the ELR was a direct competitor to Tesla and was originally priced so...

At the time, Cadillac execs were fooling themselves.

Bacardi said:
Also all MY14's Caddys, not just the ELR, were terrible and didn't do it any favors...

No doubt the ELR was terrible, but I disagree with the generalization. Not all 2014 Cadillac models were (or are) terrible.

Bacardi said:
Cadillac cars, the lower end bases don't even offer sunroof or even power seats (for some reason they do offer a power lumbar and headrest, yet everything else is manual)...

Chevy cars have a ton of options...Some offer vented seats, power lift-gates, power folding third rows, surround cameras, some can park themselves and ACC...

Cadillac cars have a ton of options too, just that they are bundled together in "luxury" and "premium luxury" trim levels. Other manufacturers do much the same thing. They make you pay for a lot of options to get the one feature you actually want. BMW is famous for this.

I had to edit my post, I left out the "CUE infotainment system" (for the MY14s were terrible) and were greatly improved on MY16 Caddys due to better hardware...

I'd guess 70% of people will like the one pedal driving experience, yet I just get the sense the people who do not like it are the same who enjoy manual transmissions and that would Doug, he regularly champions manuals yet is fair by believing no high performance vehicle should be exclusively manual...He's driven other EVs, I would take a Vegas bet he understood L is for one pedal driving but thinks it's a novelty...The paddle on the other hand truly could be considered a novelty...Once you learn how to drive the Bolt with one pedal, you'll never need the paddle...Seems to be for those who drive in "D"...One pedal driving is great because it involves one action, your right foot over the accelerator...Why complicate that one action with a hand paddle?

Bacardi said:
The paddle on the other hand truly could be considered a novelty...Once you how to drive the Bolt with one pedal, you'll never need the paddle...Seems to be for those who drive in "D"...One pedal driving is great because it involves one action, your right foot over the accelerator...Why complicate that one action with a hand paddle?
Yeah, I kind of agree. In the few days that I've owned my Bolt so far I've really taken to one pedal driving - but if I'm not stopping fast enough my instinct is still to go for the brake rather than the regen paddle. And I really don't want to compromise that instinct.

One pedal driving in my new Bolt is indeed awesome! .. I drive around town and in traffic using "L" mode exclusively and in those situations I rarely touch the regen on demand button. Given that the regen will bring the car to a complete stop the brake pads on this car will last forever... LOL!

I do like to drive in "D" when traveling at higher speeds in moderate to sparse traffic situations. I find the back of the steering wheel regen on demand button very useful in those situations. It's great when I want to shift to one pedal driving temporarily while I make a lane change, merge into other traffic at an exit ramp, etc.
Then all I have to do to return to "D" mode when I'm ready is to release the regen on demand button and adjust the position of my foot on the accelerator pedal slightly..

Pushing the regen on demand button also cancels the cruise control which I think can be resumed by pushing +RES on the front of the steering wheel.

-- This car is so much more fun to drive than my 2015 KIA Soul EV was .. I Love It!

I would be scoring this car much higher than Doug has ... :p

Back