My impressions from my first Bolt EV test drive

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EastWestBrothers

As an EV supporter, and coming from a Ford Focus Electric, the Bolt was something that I was at first unwilling to consider because of its appearance. However, a single test drive was enough to convince me that I needed to give it a chance and ultimately led to my decision to get one.

http://www.eastwestbrothersgarage.com/2017/10/test-drive-2017-chevrolet-bolt-ev.html

Thanks for the great review! Your thoughts are pretty much spot-on with my own.

I also find it slightly dorky looking. However, given that I have had a Leaf in my driveway for 5.5 years now, I'm not one to complain. Like you said, it looks a lot like a Honda Fit, which is relatively common around me. So on the road, it really doesn't stand out. And I don't need it to.

GetOffYourGas said:
Thanks for the great review! Your thoughts are pretty much spot-on with my own.

I also find it slightly dorky looking. However, given that I have had a Leaf in my driveway for 5.5 years now, I'm not one to complain. Like you said, it looks a lot like a Honda Fit, which is relatively common around me. So on the road, it really doesn't stand out. And I don't need it to.

Yeah, the looks will never grow on me, but at the very least, I can justify it away by equivocating it to cars that are common enough to make the dorkiness less visible to me.

Sorry to say, to me, the Gen 1 Leaf fits the same category as the Prius and Mirai in the looks department. Which is to say :shock:

Good review. Mirrors my thoughts on the car too.

The Bolt has grown on me, and I've been able to move past it's looks, but not so much with the seats & feel of the interior. Of course, those aren't deal breakers; just the nature of the beast in building a big battery EV on a low budget. I may still end up with one when the times comes to retire my B250e. Perhaps Bolt V1.1 may receive some future interior upgrades...I'm not expecting a Mercedes inside, but a Buick-level interior would be nice. Properly done, I think a Cadillac version of the Bolt would also be a compelling package.

oilerlord said:
Good review. Mirrors my thoughts on the car too.

The Bolt has grown on me, and I've been able to move past it's looks, but not so much with the seats & feel of the interior. Of course, those aren't deal breakers; just the nature of the beast in building a big battery EV on a low budget. I may still end up with one when the times comes to retire my B250e. Perhaps Bolt V1.1 may receive some future interior upgrades...I'm not expecting a Mercedes inside, but a Buick-level interior would be nice. Properly done, I think a Cadillac version of the Bolt would also be a compelling package.

Rumor has it that a Bolt based Buick is on the way at some time in the near future.

As for a Cadillac version, if the ELR is any indication of how Cadillac will handle the launch of such a product, then pass.

What I would personally like to see is a stretched wheelbase to eliminate the slight hump in the battery that exists now so that a more traditional sedan or wagon body can be adapted. Imagine a something like the new Regal's lift back body but with a full electric powertrain. That would make an awesome daily driver.

Me too...I'd like to see something a little longer / bigger like an Equinox - even if the added bulk reduced range to ~200 miles.

A few thoughts on why I selected the Bolt EV over the Model 3, despite being a day one Model 3 reservation holder.

http://www.eastwestbrothersgarage.com/2017/10/long-term-test-2017-chevrolet-bolt-ev.html

Good reviews.

I leased my Bolt in Feb after a short test drive and immediately asked for refund of my $1k Tesla M3 reservation deposit.

The car's appearance never bothered me. Its range and excellent handling & other features were obvious selling points and the fact that it was the only 200+ mile EV actually available made it an obvious choice for me.

Figured that in 3 years, I would actually have a chance to see and test drive an M3 and that it would be debugged and well road tested by then. There probably will also be other competitive EV models to choose from by then.

That was part of my thinking too -- that in 3-years time, the number of choices for battery EVs would increase significantly and I would be able to get more of what I want instead of being tied to only a handful of choices.

Speaking of three year differences, here are my thoughts comparing the Ford Focus Electric we previously owned to our new Chevy Bolt:

http://www.eastwestbrothersgarage.com/2017/10/comparison-2014-ford-focus-electric-vs.html

It is amazing how significant of a jump there can be in technology in just a few years time and how much more affordable that technology has become.

Back