More impressive than expected!!

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marspilgrim

:eek: So about a month into owning my 2017 Bolt EV (21K miles), I couldn't be happier with this car. I have gotten used to the thin seats and I only do my local commute of 20 miles a day plus running errands so it isn't like I'm driving non-stop across country. In the way I used to tell everyone to buy a Mazda or Subaru I now say the Bolt EV. And I have at least one person at work thinking about a BEV for their next purchase. I just wish Chevy would advertise, but I know the dealer network is scared to death of EV's and what it will do to their business model of income via ICE repairs. They have about 10 years to transition, tops.

It's awesome driving a 21st century car. Granted I happen to be in the sweet spot with short drives and in a couple weeks we'll be able to charge at home at L2 (mostly for winter concerns and quick top-offs when needed). The car tells me 5.0 mi/kWh (it had been 4.7 when I got it.) and now at 84% charge it shows expected range of 281 miles. Weather has been about perfect for EV's so far but that won't last. Must be the 25-40 MPH streets and traffic but at least now when I'm stopped I'm not fuming about wasting gas going nowhere. No highway yet which I know eats up the electrons faster; other than one trip to downtown Chicago, but that is about 20 miles at highway speeds and the other 45 miles of that round trip was all stop and go. Not much opportunity for me to use Sport mode here although that so overwhelms the OEM tires there isn't much point in using that button. But I do so love the quiet quickness. And I remind my son that I have the same 0-60 time as his RAM 1500 HEMI with no concern about what the fuel cost is to do it.

My teens and 20's self liked it fast and loud (which is all we had in the 70's & 80's) but the Bolt would have been perfect during my Austin years. Although I would not have given up my Isuzu Rodeo during my years in Phoenix exploring the Arizona offroad backcountry. So really I suppose vehicle choice is where someone is at right now, in driving needs and budget, but within 3-5 years there will be so many new choices, and great used EV's on the market that electric ownership is going to explode. I can't wait to see charge stations become even more common that gas stations.

Lets us know on your winter driving.
The snow is coming for me. Also, I am new owner. My first winter with the Bolt.
I have been thinking aftermarket rims, studded tires, and cable chains.
What about you? Thanks

In IL we aren't required to use chains, etc. and most people just live with all seasons. I'm leaning towards the Goodyear Assurance Weatherready but still researching options. My OEM's are almost at 4/32 and have enough trouble with rain so I'll need something by fall. We only get about 3-4 good snowfalls to get through otherwise the roads here are mostly dry or wet (sand and salt applied) but with climate swinging more to extremes I might as well be prepared. I don't have anything but straight suburban roads and have to drive an hour to find a hill. I just don't have space for a winter set or want the hassle of changing them out twice a year. And we have a Forester for serious weather and road trips. Hopefully there won't be to big a hit on range but I'm having a ClipperCreek installed in the garage so I'll just plug in whenever.

Also need to keep in mind we have a car with a full flat bottom. If I try to get through to many inches I'll just ride up on it until the tires are off the ground.

marspilgrim said:
I'm leaning towards the Goodyear Assurance Weatherready but still researching options. My OEM's are almost at 4/32 and have enough trouble with rain so I'll need something by fall. We only get about 3-4 good snowfalls to get through otherwise the roads here are mostly dry or wet (sand and salt applied) but with climate swinging more to extremes I might as well be prepared. I don't have anything but straight suburban roads and have to drive an hour to find a hill. I just don't have space for a winter set or want the hassle of changing them out twice a year. And we have a Forester for serious weather and road trips. Hopefully there won't be to big a hit on range but I'm having a ClipperCreek installed in the garage so I'll just plug in whenever.
Consider Nokian. They're the best all around.

marspilgrim said:
Also need to keep in mind we have a car with a full flat bottom. If I try to get through to many inches I'll just ride up on it until the tires are off the ground.
Agree. The Bolt is a medium-duty snow car. It won't buck drifts.

jack vines

Back