Full Charge Doesn't Reset kWhrs used and miles traveled

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Amber -
I have my Bolt set up to charge based on a TOU schedule, using the "be-fully-charged" by 8 AM. Normally, each morning when I get it in the car, the kWhrs used since last full charge have reset to zero and so have the miles traveled since last full charge (located on the 10.2" screen). Prior to starting the car, it always shows fully charged in the DIC (driver information center). However, now and then, maybe 10-20% of the time, the kWhrs used since last full charge won't have reset to zero and neither has the miles traveled since last full charge - even though the DIC shows Fully Charged prior to starting the car.
It's obviously not a big deal, but I wanted to pass the minor bug along. I gather there's no way to reset the screen indications?

Mark

Hi Mark,

Thanks for taking the time to bring this concern to our attention. We've had the chance to discuss this with our internal team, and they've requested a few more details: What type of EVSE are you using (i.e. 120V, 240V)? Can your provide your Time Of Use settings? Please feel free to send this in a private message or via email ([email protected]).

They hope to gather additional insight once they have these details, but in the meantime, they advised adding some time between your programmed charge termination time and actual departure time. (So, if you want to leave at 8 a.m., you would set the car up so the charge terminates at 7:30 a.m. This should allow enough time for both methods to successfully achieve charge termination.)

Best,
Lauren E.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Yes. I agree with Lauren.

The issue is not really a "problem".
Through experimentation I have seen the same.

The issue is "fully charged" is not always 100% charged. "Fully charged" really means 95% or more charged.

You simply need more time as Lauren suggests to reach the absolute full charge, at which point your car will reset the meters.

Alternatively, you can use hilltop reserve mode.
In this case your car will stop charging and reset your meters someplace between 86% and 91% charged.

KEEP IN MIND it is really hard to determine exact state of charge. Electrons have almost no weight and take up no volume so measuring them like you are used to with liquid fuel, well, there is no way to do that. And voltage is only an estimate of charge. Not an exact science.

Hi Lauren -
Thanks for the quick response to what is admitted a niggling issue. So, to begin with, here are the car's at-home charging settings:

Departure time - 7:00 AM
Electric Rate Schedule - Latest Possible
Currently operating on Summer schedule, which is -
Weekday -
Off Peak: 12 AM to 6 AM
On Peak: 6 AM to 6 PM (actually, there is an intermediate peak from 6 AM to 12 PM, but the car only allows one intermediate peak time/day)
Intermediate Peak: 6 PM to 12 AM
Weekend -
All Off Peak
Using Cost Optimized Off and Mid Peak

So, the rest of the story is that I'm retired and I've never gone out to start the car anywhere near 7 AM. More likely, it's 10 AM or later, so interrupting the charging, or even getting close to that time is not the issue. Thanks again for delving into this for me.

Mark

You can have multiple intermediate peak times defined. The system allows up to 5 rate changes per day. See page 128 of the Owner's Manual.

For example, in my area, I have the following rate schedule for weekdays during summer:
12am to 10am: off-peak
10am to 1pm: partial-peak (aka mid or intermediate peak)
1pm to 7pm: peak
7pm to 9pm: partial-peak
9pm to 12am: off peak

I was able to program the Bolt with that schedule without too much of a problem.

ChevyCustomerCare said:
Thanks for taking the time to bring this concern to our attention. We've had the chance to discuss this with our internal team, and they've requested a few more details: What type of EVSE are you using (i.e. 120V, 240V)?
Best,
Lauren E.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Hi Lauren, I experience the same issue, using 480V DCFC on both my BoltEv and prior SparkEV.

The charge finishes, showing 100 % charge, but the meters do not reset.

I then need to put it on 120V for another hour to reach the absolute full charge, at which point my bolt resets the meters.

My suggestion to the software engineers would be to give us a "RESET" button, allowing me to reset it after a full charge similar to the one on the efficiency screen.

Thanks

DarkCherryBolt said:
Hi Lauren -
Thanks for the quick response to what is admitted a niggling issue. So, to begin with, here are the car's at-home charging settings:

Departure time - 7:00 AM
Electric Rate Schedule - Latest Possible
Currently operating on Summer schedule, which is -
Weekday -
Off Peak: 12 AM to 6 AM
On Peak: 6 AM to 6 PM (actually, there is an intermediate peak from 6 AM to 12 PM, but the car only allows one intermediate peak time/day)
Intermediate Peak: 6 PM to 12 AM
Weekend -
All Off Peak
Using Cost Optimized Off and Mid Peak

So, the rest of the story is that I'm retired and I've never gone out to start the car anywhere near 7 AM. More likely, it's 10 AM or later, so interrupting the charging, or even getting close to that time is not the issue. Thanks again for delving into this for me.

Mark

Hi Mark,

Apologies for the delay, as I am just seeing this! Thanks so much for following up with this information. At this time, I'm going to pass it along to my internal team to see if there's any additional insight they can offer.

I'll be sure to follow up with you when I receive this information from them.

All the best,
Lauren E.
Chevrolet Customer Care

njBoltEV said:
ChevyCustomerCare said:
Thanks for taking the time to bring this concern to our attention. We've had the chance to discuss this with our internal team, and they've requested a few more details: What type of EVSE are you using (i.e. 120V, 240V)?
Best,
Lauren E.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Hi Lauren, I experience the same issue, using 480V DCFC on both my BoltEv and prior SparkEV.

I then need to put it on 120V for another hour to reach the absolute full charge, at which point my bolt resets the meters.

My suggestion to the software engineers would be to give us a "RESET" button, allowing me to reset it after a full charge similar to the one on the efficiency screen.

Thanks

Hi njBoltEV,

Thank you for reaching out as well! I appreciate you bringing this to the team's attention, and I'm happy to include this information when passing it along to my internal team for their review. I will be sure to update this thread once I receive any insight.

Best,
Lauren E.
Chevrolet Customer Care

ChevyCustomerCare said:
njBoltEV said:
ChevyCustomerCare said:
Best,
Lauren E.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Thanks

Hi njBoltEV,

Thank you for reaching out as well! I appreciate you bringing this to the team's attention, and I'm happy to include this information when passing it along to my internal team for their review. I will be sure to update this thread once I receive any insight.

Best,
Lauren E.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Thanks Lauren, as long you are are taking suggestions.

When I charge my Bolt-EV with DCFC, after starting the charge I will turn on the car to monitor the kw charging level on the driver's console.

During a fast charge session, on the center console Charging Screen, I can see the battery level, estimated time to 80% complete.
How about adding the charging rate to this screen, so I can monitor it without turning on the Bolt.

Also, typically, I see the following charge pattern

20% full, charges at 40kw
70% full charges at 25kw
80% full charge drops to 20
90% full, forget it .. very slow 13-18kw

Thanks again for passing your feedback along, njBoltEV. I have forwarded this to my internal team and am still waiting on a response at this time. I'll be back in touch with an update soon!

Best,
Lauren E.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Hi Lauren -
I may have a clue to pass along on the no-reset phenomena: I've noticed a few times now that when I come down in the morning, after the car was plugged in the evening before, the green dash light is still flashing as if it's waiting yet to charge. Sure enough, these episodes invariably coincide with the display not resetting to 0 kW-hrs used. In addition, I've noticed something else - this has happened when the kW-hrs actually used, prior to the car being plugged in, is typically less than 3-4 kW-hrs.
So, it seems as though there is some sort of trigger point not being reached, some minimum kW-hrs subtracted from full before the car will recognize that it needs to recharge. Note that when these non-recharge events take place, the DIC indicates the car is fully charged - though I note that the range is down, confirming that the car didn't actually charge.

Well, please ignore my previous comment, about the possibility of the miles/charge reset related to charging when only a few kW-hrs have been used. Last night, for example, the car was plugged in with about 15 kW-hrs used and this morning, though it was fully charged, it hadn't updated the kW-hrs used since last full charge nor the miles driven since last full charge. So, no pattern, not as I thought I'd seen.

DarkCherryBolt said:
Well, please ignore my previous comment, about the possibility of the miles/charge reset related to charging when only a few kW-hrs have been used. Last night, for example, the car was plugged in with about 15 kW-hrs used and this morning, though it was fully charged, it hadn't updated the kW-hrs used since last full charge nor the miles driven since last full charge. So, no pattern, not as I thought I'd seen.

Well, please ignore my previous ignore request. I've realized that since I have the charging times set from midnight to 5 AM, sometimes that isn't long enough to fully charge the Bolt - and that looks to be the reason the car showed that it wasn't fully charged. In truth, it wasn't, not quite. Sorry for the confusion there.

I said it once before but it sounds like it needs repeating.

There are three terms used by the Chevy Bolt.

Charge Finished
Charge Complete
Finalizing.

Charge % is loosely calculated based on voltage.
Once the battery gets to around 95% the voltage flat lines. It stops going up.

At the point the voltage stops going up (or going up significantly) the car displays "Charge Finished". This is because the car cannot accurately tell the difference between 98% and 99%.

Anyone ever get a reading of 99%? Post a picture if you have. I don't recall ever seeing that.

So "charged finished" really means "mostly charged" or "charged for all practical purposes".

"Charge Complete" means charging has stopped. The charging rate between the status of "Finsihed Charging" and "Charge Complete" is very low. It may be stuck between these two points for a hour or more. Most people don't want to wait a hour to gain 1 or 2 miles of range. I don't know, but I believe during this time cell balancing also occurs.

80% is considered "charge finished" when on a level 3 DCFC. This is because usually people are paying a premium price for a fast charge, and above 80%
charging slows dramatically, but you are still paying the high price of quick charging.

When you get above 80% on DCFC the car displays "Finalizing".

I agree it is frustrating that your cumulative numbers don't reset whenever you want.

But scientifically speaking, the car is not "done" and and not 100% full until about an hour past "finished".

Odd, but that's how it works.

Hi GPSMAN -
Thanks for the detail. As I said in my initial post on this, its a niggling issue that isn't a big deal to me, but it is one that doesn't do the car's reputation any favors. What I find odd is that the "Charge Finished" indication in the DIC isn't linked to the reset for kWhr used and miles traveled since last full charge. It seems intuitive that the Charge Finished trip point would similarly trip the reset, but it's apparent that they're not joined at the hip. I still love the car and extol its virtues every chance I get, and it detracts from that shine a wee bit when someone notices this flaw, which I then label a beauty mark. I don't think the comment flies :)

Back