my smart phone drops out

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lmitano

I have a Samsung Note 3, and it disconnects when I hit the slightest bump in the road. If I have google maps running, or my music playing, when I hit a bump in the road, the am or fm radio comes on. I have to manually load the maps or music and each time I hit a small bump in the road, same thing happens. I dont know if this is an issue with my phone or The Bolt??

I have a new replacement phone and new cable. I will check the connection and try again. thanks.

My iPhone 6 disconnects if the USB plug to the car gets jostled.

At first I thought it was the cable but it happens with any cable I use.

With too much slack, it's easy to loose connection with regular cables. I bought a 6 inch long cable and that seems to have fixed the problem with me touching the cable. But if I mess with the cable end to the car's port I'd still loose connection.

lmitano said:
I have a Samsung Note 3, and it disconnects when I hit the slightest bump in the road. If I have google maps running, or my music playing, when I hit a bump in the road, the am or fm radio comes on. I have to manually load the maps or music and each time I hit a small bump in the road, same thing happens. I dont know if this is an issue with my phone or The Bolt??

Hi lmitano,

If changing the USB or auxiliary cord doesn't help to correct this issue, we kindly suggest reaching out to our Infotainment team at 855-478-7767. Their advisors have specialty training/knowledge regarding the Infotainment system and may be able to provide further trouble shooting. Please send a private message if we can be of any further assistance!

Amber G.
Chevrolet Customer Care

this dropping happens on a different Samsung phone and cable. I will try to video the event as it happens consistently.

lmitano said:
this dropping happens on a different Samsung phone and cable. I will try to video the event as it happens consistently.
Happens on my iPhone on a daily basis. But only once. Waiting for infotainment update and or CarPlay update end of April.

lmitano said:

Hi lmitano,

When you have a moment, could you send that video and your VIN, contact information, vehicle mileage and preferred dealer name to [email protected]? We'd like to look at this on our end and connect with your dealership for potential inspection/diagnosis.

Please be sure to put "ATTN: Amber" in the subject line of your email. To review GM's privacy policy, please visit https://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html.

Kindly,

Amber G.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Posatronic said:
lmitano said:
Happens on my iPhone on a daily basis. But only once. Waiting for infotainment update and or CarPlay update end of April.

Hi Posatronic,

If you'd like to email me at [email protected], I'd be happy to have a dealership take a look at this connection issue and check for available updates. If you'd like me to do this for you, please be sure to include your VIN, contact information, vehicle mileage and dealership name within your email.

Please visit https://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html to review GM's privacy policy.

Kindly,

Amber G.
Chevrolet Customer Care

It looks like the culprit was my Samsung fast charger cord. I used a regular one and so far so good.

lmitano said:
It looks like the culprit was my Samsung fast charger cord. I used a regular one and so far so good.
I annoys me to no end that some manufacturers create these USB "charge cords" that look in all ways like a regular USB cable yet lack the wires to carry data. Whenever I discover one I cut it in half and throw it out. Life is too short to waste on lousy cables.

SeanNelson said:
lmitano said:
I annoys me to no end that some manufacturers create these USB "charge cords" that look in all ways like a regular USB cable yet lack the wires to carry data. Whenever I discover one I cut it in half and throw it out. Life is too short to waste on lousy cables.

monoprice.com

lmitano said:

Let us know if that changes, lmitano! We're here to help if the problem should reappear.

Kindly,

Amber G.
Chevrolet Customer Care

SeanNelson said:

Those "power only" USB cables are a security measure. Many "free" charging ports - such as those at airports - may carry a payload to install unwanted things on (or pull data from) your device. By only having the power lines attached, there is no chance for anything else to go over those cables.

gbobman said:
SeanNelson said:

Those "power only" USB cables are a security measure. Many "free" charging ports - such as those at airports - may carry a payload to install unwanted things on (or pull data from) your device. By only having the power lines attached, there is no chance for anything else to go over those cables.

Since USB cables come in a multitude of colors, I 'color code' mine (buy cables in a particular color based on 'features').

So I have this system :

- pink cables that are USB 3.1-certified (USB type-A to type-C, for both charging at home and 5+ Gb data transfer)
- grey cables that are USB 2.x cables (and which I often use with my portable 'power bank' for emergency electrons)
- blue cables that are 'power only' for 'public' plugs (and which comply with at least the USB Battery Charging 1.1 spec)

I ended up buying 'extra' cables when they went on sale at a reputable vendor (and by 'extra', I mean I didn't 'need' them, they were the ones that were color coded as above). I then gave away all of my old cables (except the ones that came with the phone or device). It is amazing how inexpensive one can get good type-C cables when they are on sale. My first ones were about $15!! The colored ones I buy are now regularly around $8, and I got them for $1.88-$3.50.

gbobman said:
SeanNelson said:
Interesting concept that I hadn't considered - but IMHO (a) they should at least somehow identify the power-only cables as such, and (b) you shouldn't have your phone configured to allow auto-installing of anything from a USB connection.

Back