drdiesel1

Re: Audible warning for Lane departure and blind spot warning

Tue May 30, 2017 4:22 pm

mbepic wrote:No audible warnings on the Premier model (somebody asked); I'm surprised that no lane assist or blind spot warning on this car; I thought maybe I had not come across that setting yet. Of course, would never be a deal maker for me..........much bigger priorities, ie battery range.

It's an option on all cars :mrgreen:

mbepic

Tue May 30, 2017 8:54 pm

drdiesel1 wrote:
mbepic wrote:No audible warnings on the Premier model (somebody asked); I'm surprised that no lane assist or blind spot warning on this car; I thought maybe I had not come across that setting yet. Of course, would never be a deal maker for me..........much bigger priorities, ie battery range.

I should have said "I'm surprised that no lane correction or blind spot 'AUDIBLE' warning/alert on this car".
The visual is there but not the audible.........not an option according to sales guy.
:geek:

njBoltEV

Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:02 pm

drdiesel1 wrote:

:idea: The audio is available if your spouse is sitting in the passenger seat

SparkE

Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:56 pm

njBoltEV wrote: :idea: The audio is available if your spouse is sitting in the passenger seat

Unfortunately, once that 'feature' is activated, the 'mute' button won't silence it ... :mrgreen: :evil: :lol:

mbepic

Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:12 pm

SparkE wrote:
njBoltEV wrote: :idea: The audio is available if your spouse is sitting in the passenger seat

Unfortunately, once that 'feature' is activated, the 'mute' button won't silence it ... :mrgreen: :evil: :lol:

Just a very expensive 'divorce lawyer' will do the trick. :mrgreen:
:geek:

bbock

Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:26 am

I can understand not having an audible warning for blindspot. If you are changing lanes, you are looking at your mirror where the warning is indicated. You wouldn’t want it firing every time you have the turn signal on with a car behind you.

I have to imagine GM is trying to avoid alarm fatigue. I do think there should be alarms for lane keeping and collision alerts. But if you have false alarms, like blind spot warnings that don’t matter or should be visual, you’ll eventually become immune to those warnings. It happens in hospitals with electronic monitoring sounds. They had to reduce the sounds so only critical sounds play because if there’s a cacophony, you become inured to it.

scbolt

Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:57 pm

bbock wrote:I can understand not having an audible warning for blindspot. If you are changing lanes, you are looking at your mirror where the warning is indicated. You wouldn’t want it firing every time you have the turn signal on with a car behind you.

I have to imagine GM is trying to avoid alarm fatigue. I do think there should be alarms for lane keeping and collision alerts. But if you have false alarms, like blind spot warnings that don’t matter or should be visual, you’ll eventually become immune to those warnings. It happens in hospitals with electronic monitoring sounds. They had to reduce the sounds so only critical sounds play because if there’s a cacophony, you become inured to it.

I think this is one of those things that is definitely different from person to person. Personally, when changing lanes, I **always** turn my head around to make sure there is nothing in my blind spot. Because I do this, I do not always look at the side view mirrors and (in my case at least) an audible warning would be MUCH more useful.

I am not saying GM should force this on everyone ... but how hard would it be to provide an OPTION for those that want to have audible blindspot warning upon hitting the turn signal? That way those who don't care about it can easily turn it off.

bbock

Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:56 am

I watched the blind spot indicators while a passenger in the car and they go off A LOT. They aren’t limited to when you have a turn signal on. So you’d be driving down the freeway and it would be beeping all the time, even if you aren’t changing lanes. That would be too much for everyone. Maybe they could compromise and beep if you have the turn signal on and there’s a car in your blind spot in the direction you are turning.

scbolt

Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:18 pm

bbock wrote:I watched the blind spot indicators while a passenger in the car and they go off A LOT. They aren’t limited to when you have a turn signal on. So you’d be driving down the freeway and it would be beeping all the time, even if you aren’t changing lanes. That would be too much for everyone. Maybe they could compromise and beep if you have the turn signal on and there’s a car in your blind spot in the direction you are turning.

Yes, that is what I am suggesting ... i.e. don't just beep whenever there is a car in your blind spot, but only beep if you also turn on the turning signal on that side or start moving to that lane. This is what our other car (Honda Odyssey) does and it works perfectly!

Also, they can always make it an OPTION ... that way people who want it can use it, and those who don't won't have to be bothered by it. I won't even mind if the DEFAULT for the option is same as today, i.e. not beep ... but those of us who want the audible warning will at least have a way to get that.

jeremysee

Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:55 pm

"When a passenger sees danger ahead, we insist they write down a note and place it in the corner of the driver's vision, rather than alerting the driver verbally." -Mary Barra, probably

I'm glad I came across this thread before I went and paid for the Driver Confidence package when I buy a Bolt/Volt in the near future! This is a bit of a dealbreaker for the package to be honest. I googled this issue because I would have otherwise paid for the package just for blind spot detection. But without blind spot beeping (while turn signal is activated), the feature is close to useless IMO. Having another thing to process visually is not nearly as good for safety as a beep. If someone forgets to shoulder check, the odds are slim that they'll remember to squint down at some little yellow symbol, but they would notice a beep. So why not have both? It is totally software-fixable and as it stands the package is not great value for $600.

Anyway I just wanted to respond to some of the concerns here about the sound. I rented a 2017 Mazda 3 with audible blind-spot detection. It wasn't annoying at all because it was only audible when you had the appropriate turn signal activated, so you're already paying attention to the lane change when it beeps. 99% of the time when it beeped I was expecting it. It was loud enough to hear clearly, but not loud enough to be annoying. One time it did actually save me from stupidly starting a lane change and having to do an evasive maneuver. And it did that without increasing the cognitive/visual effort required like a purely visual symbol would. Everything else about the Mazda 3 kinda sucked compared to my Cruze, but this was a really cool feature.

Return to “Ask Chevrolet”