Audible warning for Lane departure and blind spot warning

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thorin78

Hello,
Is it possible to create audible warnings for the lane departure and blind spot systems?
Specifically for the blind spot warning feature, if there is a car on my side and I activate the turn signal, it would be really great to have that audible warning instead of just a flashing light in the mirror.
Even more, if there is a car in my blindspot and I'm veering closer to that lane, it would be really great to have that audible warning.

Thank you.

thorin78 said:
Hello,
Is it possible to create audible warnings for the lane departure and blind spot systems?
Specifically for the blind spot warning feature, if there is a car on my side and I activate the turn signal, it would be really great to have that audible warning instead of just a flashing light in the mirror.
Even more, if there is a car in my blindspot and I'm veering closer to that lane, it would be really great to have that audible warning.

Thank you.

Hey thorin78,

Thanks for reaching out! Unfortunately at this time, there are no audio sounds which accompany the Lane Keep Assist (LKA) and Side Blind Zone Assist (SBZA) features. Rest assured that I've documented your feedback within my systems, and have reached out to my internal teams to make them aware of your development suggestion.

More detailed inquiries about the operation of the LKA and SBZA systems in your Bolt can be found under the "Driver Assistance Systems" (pages 227-229) portion of your owner's manual. Or, you can always send us a private message!

Amber G.
Chevrolet Customer Care

I would like to second this request. During my business travels I have rented cars some of which have audible alerts for blind spot warning and some don't ... and the ones with audible warning are MUCH more practical and effective.

Does the Volt Premier have audible alerts for LKA and SBZA?

If Bolt owners can get at the two wires that power those little side warning lights, they can add a rear backup light beeper-type alarm, under the dash.

Is it possible that this is fixable by Chevy in a future software only update? Or does this require a hardware change?

scbolt said:
Is it possible that this is fixable by Chevy in a future software only update? Or does this require a hardware change?

Hi scbolt,

At this time, we have no plans to add an audible warning feature to our LKA and SBZA Driver Assistance Systems. If this feature is made available, we can advise on if it'll be a hardware upgrade or a software update at that time.

Let me know if you have additional questions or concerns!

Kindly,

Amber G.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Coming from position being an owner of 2 Chevrolet VOLTS and use to audible warnings, My Chevrolet Volt had all features abd all have visual and audible warnings.

I do not like the fact there ae no audible warnings, especially when pulling intro garage or backing up. The audible warning for lane drift, missing. There should be a warning for changing lanes with signal and if signal on and there is some one in blind spot a warning there. This is a big mistake that needs immediate correction. I purchased the Bolt so that I would have more safety feature than a Volt.

I am going to car shows in NJ, one today in Central Jersey and I be sure to advise people of this lack of feature until resolved.

This will NOT help sales of the an other wise great vehicle. But to spend hundreds of dollars more on the half the functionality of these features is disappointing.

Jack Phillips

Hamilton, NJ

No audible warnings on the Premier model (somebody asked); I'm surprised that no lane assist or blind spot warning on this car; I thought maybe I had not come across that setting yet. Of course, would never be a deal maker for me..........much bigger priorities, ie battery range.

There is an audible warning but it's very late. I've had it come on a few times when going around a construction or postal vehicle on the side of the road and crossed the center line without signaling, in this case, it seemed it was triggered by the prolonged departure from the lane and constant pressure against the wheel corrections. I've also had it trigger after repeated small incursions on the lane line when avoiding a particularly pot hole riddled section of the edge of the road. It's a beeping tone synchronized with the flashing of the orange lane departure icon.

It doesn't seem that the audible alert is meant to be a primary notification, more of a look, really, you gotta get back in the lane last ditch effort. My wife's Highlander, on the other hand, beeps if you glance at the lane line.

mbepic said:
No audible warnings on the Premier model (somebody asked); I'm surprised that no lane assist or blind spot warning on this car; I thought maybe I had not come across that setting yet. Of course, would never be a deal maker for me..........much bigger priorities, ie battery range.

It's an option on all cars :mrgreen:

drdiesel1 said:
mbepic said:

I should have said "I'm surprised that no lane correction or blind spot 'AUDIBLE' warning/alert on this car".
The visual is there but not the audible.........not an option according to sales guy.

drdiesel1 said:
mbepic said:

:idea: The audio is available if your spouse is sitting in the passenger seat

njBoltEV said:

Unfortunately, once that 'feature' is activated, the 'mute' button won't silence it ... :mrgreen: :evil: :lol:

SparkE said:
njBoltEV said:

Unfortunately, once that 'feature' is activated, the 'mute' button won't silence it ... :mrgreen: :evil: :lol:

Just a very expensive 'divorce lawyer' will do the trick. :mrgreen:

I can understand not having an audible warning for blindspot. If you are changing lanes, you are looking at your mirror where the warning is indicated. You wouldn’t want it firing every time you have the turn signal on with a car behind you.

I have to imagine GM is trying to avoid alarm fatigue. I do think there should be alarms for lane keeping and collision alerts. But if you have false alarms, like blind spot warnings that don’t matter or should be visual, you’ll eventually become immune to those warnings. It happens in hospitals with electronic monitoring sounds. They had to reduce the sounds so only critical sounds play because if there’s a cacophony, you become inured to it.

bbock said:
I can understand not having an audible warning for blindspot. If you are changing lanes, you are looking at your mirror where the warning is indicated. You wouldn’t want it firing every time you have the turn signal on with a car behind you.

I have to imagine GM is trying to avoid alarm fatigue. I do think there should be alarms for lane keeping and collision alerts. But if you have false alarms, like blind spot warnings that don’t matter or should be visual, you’ll eventually become immune to those warnings. It happens in hospitals with electronic monitoring sounds. They had to reduce the sounds so only critical sounds play because if there’s a cacophony, you become inured to it.

I think this is one of those things that is definitely different from person to person. Personally, when changing lanes, I **always** turn my head around to make sure there is nothing in my blind spot. Because I do this, I do not always look at the side view mirrors and (in my case at least) an audible warning would be MUCH more useful.

I am not saying GM should force this on everyone ... but how hard would it be to provide an OPTION for those that want to have audible blindspot warning upon hitting the turn signal? That way those who don't care about it can easily turn it off.

I watched the blind spot indicators while a passenger in the car and they go off A LOT. They aren’t limited to when you have a turn signal on. So you’d be driving down the freeway and it would be beeping all the time, even if you aren’t changing lanes. That would be too much for everyone. Maybe they could compromise and beep if you have the turn signal on and there’s a car in your blind spot in the direction you are turning.

bbock said:
I watched the blind spot indicators while a passenger in the car and they go off A LOT. They aren’t limited to when you have a turn signal on. So you’d be driving down the freeway and it would be beeping all the time, even if you aren’t changing lanes. That would be too much for everyone. Maybe they could compromise and beep if you have the turn signal on and there’s a car in your blind spot in the direction you are turning.

Yes, that is what I am suggesting ... i.e. don't just beep whenever there is a car in your blind spot, but only beep if you also turn on the turning signal on that side or start moving to that lane. This is what our other car (Honda Odyssey) does and it works perfectly!

Also, they can always make it an OPTION ... that way people who want it can use it, and those who don't won't have to be bothered by it. I won't even mind if the DEFAULT for the option is same as today, i.e. not beep ... but those of us who want the audible warning will at least have a way to get that.

"When a passenger sees danger ahead, we insist they write down a note and place it in the corner of the driver's vision, rather than alerting the driver verbally." -Mary Barra, probably

I'm glad I came across this thread before I went and paid for the Driver Confidence package when I buy a Bolt/Volt in the near future! This is a bit of a dealbreaker for the package to be honest. I googled this issue because I would have otherwise paid for the package just for blind spot detection. But without blind spot beeping (while turn signal is activated), the feature is close to useless IMO. Having another thing to process visually is not nearly as good for safety as a beep. If someone forgets to shoulder check, the odds are slim that they'll remember to squint down at some little yellow symbol, but they would notice a beep. So why not have both? It is totally software-fixable and as it stands the package is not great value for $600.

Anyway I just wanted to respond to some of the concerns here about the sound. I rented a 2017 Mazda 3 with audible blind-spot detection. It wasn't annoying at all because it was only audible when you had the appropriate turn signal activated, so you're already paying attention to the lane change when it beeps. 99% of the time when it beeped I was expecting it. It was loud enough to hear clearly, but not loud enough to be annoying. One time it did actually save me from stupidly starting a lane change and having to do an evasive maneuver. And it did that without increasing the cognitive/visual effort required like a purely visual symbol would. Everything else about the Mazda 3 kinda sucked compared to my Cruze, but this was a really cool feature.

Back