SparkE

Re: Radio turns on with start

Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:36 pm

Ravenrose wrote:My month old Bolt is doing the same thing! I've tried going into settings but it keeps turning on at start. So annoyed. :(

Read this thread. Work-arounds are mentioned.

roundpeg

Sat May 06, 2017 9:58 pm

My radio sometimes un-mutes at random moments while driving. No obvious pattern. Anybody else?

cgabe6

Sun May 14, 2017 3:15 am

There are various scenarios where the sound turns on when it should not, with a source that was not explicitly selected. This is a design issue, not a user issue. It is extremely annoying, truly detracts from my enjoyment of the car. I want to know if Chevrolet is going to fix it.

It should never turn the sound on unless (1) we press power on the round button (what is called mute mode in the manual - come on that’s silly we want power off not mute) or (2) we select music on our USB connect smart phone (Carplay on iphone, or Android equivalent). Regardless of whether the car is turned off and on again.
Some scenarios where it does turn on the sound system (to the radio or XM - whatever the top favorites list item is):
(1) play music on Carplay, unplug the phone. Radio comes on (or XM - whatever the favorites top item is). I realize the sound was on, but I really didn’t ask to play the radio. Imagine someone like me that never ever does, but in general, I didn’t ask for that.
(2) play music on Carplay, press power button on radio, to turn sound off. Turn car off, unplug phone. Back in car later, power car on with no phone connected, radio comes on. Same reason as (1) but different user scenario
(3) playing music from bluetooth, turn off bluetooth (explicitly, phone power dies, connection issues ...). Radio comes on.
(4) Select a navigation route with carplay, now decide you don’t want to hear music in between. Seems like in this case, the power button could actually be regarded as a mute - of music only. So press that, sound goes off. But, next time a verbal guidance comes on (as I’d like), after that the sound system resume playing music. Sigh.

It's very simple: we didn't ask for that, don't make that decision for us. That is what really grates.

This design flaw should be fixed - it could actually sell less cars I think, it's that strong a disincentive because it happens time and again.
That said, I personally never ever actually want the radio, XM, or Onstar to play or even show up on the screen. I want Carplay, or if only bluetooth connects to my phone then whatever that offers, and time and temperature on the screen always, in the same spot, some of the bottom row like climate control, and any warnings as required. If you could provide only that, it would be far superior to just patching the above in my opinion. Not everyone would agree but some would. That's my vote for a "configurable display layout". The iPhone has all we need, better than any of the corresponding console features.

Disclaimer: I am a software and electronics engineer with 30 years experience. I'm not going to respond to a customer rep trying to help me learn to use the system, nor how to work around by faking the volume or channel selection out. The above is valid, please I want this logged as a valid defect for the design team to fix.

rybolt

Wed May 17, 2017 12:45 am

Based on the way Chevy and the dealer are responding to this query, maybe we're using the wrong language.

Of course the radio (head unit) turns on with start-- the touch screen display is integral to the operation of the car.

The problem might be more precisely described as the sound system UN-MUTES nearly every time the Bolt is started, even if the system was muted when the car was turned off.

I have not been able to assign any rhyme or reason to it, but OCCASIONALLY the sound in my Bolt STAYS MUTED when I start the car. It is exceptionally rare, but because of this random occurrence in which the system wakes up and remembers that it was muted, I have hope that somewhere buried deep within the software, there's a bug that someone can squash, given enough interest and pressure from us customers.

timeToy

Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:46 am

This is indeed very annoying, the last selected source should stay enabled at the same volume level, EVEN if that source is not available (for instance Bluetooth)
Current: '17 Bolt EV | '13 Honda Civic Hybrid
Previous: '14 Rav 4 EV | '12 Honda Odyssey | '08 Mercedes E63 Wagon | '12 Mercedes GL450 | '08 Lexus LS460 | '07 Lexus GS450h

rcrcr

Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:03 pm

"This is indeed very annoying, the last selected source should stay enabled at the same volume level, EVEN if that source is not available (for instance Bluetooth)"

This. Absolutely.

jmflint

Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:00 am

Add me to this list of annoyed and frustrated customers. When I finally decided to search and see if I could find a solution to this, imagine my surprise to learn there *is* no solution…

I don't want the radio on when the car starts. Period.

And don't get me started on the infotainment system as a whole: Bluetooth drops constantly, gets stuck in voice activation mode (which also makes the air conditioner get stuck at lower power), etc., etc., but I won't hijack this thread with that...

Thanks, folks, for the workarounds - can't wait to try them tomorrow!

jsg

Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:57 pm

I am having this issue as well. It seems to be a bug in the entertainment system, I cannot imagine it being deliberately programmed to always turn on when starting the car.

I have found, I think, that if you bring the radio volume to zero and mute it using the button on the steering wheel, it doesn't seem to come on next time the car is started. If you don't turn the volume down, but only use the mute button, sometimes it works (radio doesn't play at startup) and sometimes it doesn't.

Jerry

jmflint

Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:43 pm

SO much work to make this tolerable. Turning off from the steering wheel does *not* work. Changing the source to XM, channel 0 works, but what a pain.

I guess I'll try the turn-down-the-volume thing next.

What a headache.

devbolt

Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:10 am

timeToy wrote:This is indeed very annoying, the last selected source should stay enabled at the same volume level, EVEN if that source is not available (for instance Bluetooth)

So totally agree with this. My 2012 Prius and 2016 Highlander Hybrid manage to stay on the last input, even if the source is not available at the time when the car is powered on. If I was listening to audio via Bluetooth, it waits for the Bluetooth device to become available again. Otherwise it stays silent.

Return to “Ask Chevrolet”