pwessel

Re: Radio turns on with start

Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:05 pm

A nice workaround: Copy some nice gentle music onto a usb drive. Pop the drive in one of the USB slots. In audio settings, set USB default on. (Sorry don't remember the actual steps.) As long as that USB music was playing when I turned off the car, that's what starts up when I restart.

kharrang

Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:12 pm

Thank you for this creative workaround, but really? Hard to imagine that someone at GM thinks that every single driver wants the radio to start blaring every time the car is started. Or alternatively, this wasn't noticed during testing?

SeanNelson

Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:49 pm

kharrang wrote:Hard to imagine that someone at GM thinks that every single driver wants the radio to start blaring every time the car is started.

The Bolt's radio works identically to the old car radios I used to have - the ones that you turned off by turning the volume knob all the way down counter-clockwise until it clicked. The only thing lacking in the Bolt's radio is the "click" at the end.

The radio will remember the volume setting when you turn off and then restart the car. If you don't want to hear the radio when you turn the car on, just give the volume knob a crank down to "0".

gpsman

Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:28 am

I have no idea what people are talking about.
I’ve had my Bolt for 1 year now (14,000 miles) and have not ever considered this a problem with the radio.

It works the same as every other car I have owned.
It even has a nicer feature that many dont. The “Maximum Startup Volume” can be set. Although oddly, not to zero.

If your kid drives it the night before and had the radio way up, and forgot to turn it down before exiting, the car will automatically reset the volume to what you set.

Mute is designed as a temporary setting as it should be. It has ALWAYS been a temporary setting in every car I have owned. (Maybe 6 or 7 cars in 20 years, so not that many.)

Oddly, now that you all got me out in my car “testing” I find the mute IS retained after a power down and restart, if the restart occurs within x number of minutes. This may explain why people say mute sometimes works. It works for those quick trips to the mailbox or ATM machine if you get back in within a certain time frame I guess. I don’t care enough to figure out the time.

The 3.5mm plug in the socket seems like a simple fix to me though, all things considered.

SeanNelson

Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:07 am

gpsman wrote:The 3.5mm plug in the socket seems like a simple fix to me though, all things considered.

I'm still wracking my brain trying to understand why people think this is simpler than just turning the volume down to zero...

tpv0rtex

Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:37 am

Because what I want is, when I turn on the car, it senses I have my iPhone connected (CarPlay or bluetooth) and continues playing from it (like it was playing when I turned the car off). But it takes the car just long enough to notice CarPlay or bluetooth, that it can't wait and decides to turn on the radio instead. When I have a cable plugged into Aux, and have Aux selected as the default, I get quiet until CarPlay or bluetooth is finally recognized and can begin playing.; no need to ever adjust volume down or up.

SeanNelson wrote:
gpsman wrote:The 3.5mm plug in the socket seems like a simple fix to me though, all things considered.

I'm still wracking my brain trying to understand why people think this is simpler than just turning the volume down to zero...

kharrang

Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:07 pm

Sorry to be dense here, but I can't tell in all this discussion if there's a solution to my problem--and many people seem to think this is normal radio behavior.

Problem: (1) While driving I listen to podcasts from my phone played through the sound system, (2) I either pause these before I turn off the car, or they automatically pause on power-down, (3) the next time I turn on the car, the radio begins blaring loudly because the podcasts are softer, and this is true even though I have my phone in the car on restart.

Nothing I can find prevents this behavior, which is super annoying. I suppose I could remember to manually turn the volume down to zero every time I turn off the car, but that seems ridiculous.

Help anyone?

GetOffYourGas

Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:32 pm

kharrang wrote:the next time I turn on the car, the radio begins blaring loudly because the podcasts are softer

A counter-question: why are your podcasts quieter? Is that your phone doing that?

I do basically what you do - mostly I listen to podcasts. The car turns on the radio until it connects to my car and loads CarPlay. But in my case, the radio comes on at the same volume as the podcasts, so it is tolerable.
~Brian

EV Fleet:
2011 Torqeedo Travel 1003 electric outboard on a 22' sailboat
2012 Leaf SV (traded for Bolt)
2015 C-Max Energi (302A package)
2017 Bolt Premier

SmokingRubber

Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:42 pm

kharrang wrote:Sorry to be dense here, but I can't tell in all this discussion if there's a solution to my problem--and many people seem to think this is normal radio behavior.

Problem: (1) While driving I listen to podcasts from my phone played through the sound system, (2) I either pause these before I turn off the car, or they automatically pause on power-down, (3) the next time I turn on the car, the radio begins blaring loudly because the podcasts are softer, and this is true even though I have my phone in the car on restart.

Nothing I can find prevents this behavior, which is super annoying. I suppose I could remember to manually turn the volume down to zero every time I turn off the car, but that seems ridiculous.

Help anyone?

On page 177 of your Bolt manual: Under Radio Settings, You can set "maximum start-up volume" to between 13 and 37
2017 Chevrolet Bolt Premier (DD)
2016 Mazda CX-5 Gran Touring (Wife's DD)
2013 Toyota FJ Cruiser (4x4 beachmobile)
2016 Mazda 3 Touring

GetOffYourGas

Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:21 pm

SmokingRubber wrote:
kharrang wrote:Sorry to be dense here, but I can't tell in all this discussion if there's a solution to my problem--and many people seem to think this is normal radio behavior.

Help anyone?

On page 177 of your Bolt manual: Under Radio Settings, You can set "maximum start-up volume" to between 13 and 37

They were so close! If they only gave the option for 0, then we wouldn't be having this conversation.
~Brian

EV Fleet:
2011 Torqeedo Travel 1003 electric outboard on a 22' sailboat
2012 Leaf SV (traded for Bolt)
2015 C-Max Energi (302A package)
2017 Bolt Premier

Return to “Ask Chevrolet”