Radio turns on with start

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JHawk

Every time I turn the car on the radio also turns on. This is annoying. Is there a way to disable this? Is there a reason it was designed this way?
Thanks

JHawk said:
Every time I turn the car on the radio also turns on. This is annoying. Is there a way to disable this? Is there a reason it was designed this way?
Thanks

Hi JHawk,

To clarify, your settings are switched to off when you turned your Bolt off, and they're turning on again every time you start your vehicle? If this is the case, please reach out to our Infotainment team at 855-478-7767.

If they aren't able to resolve your concerns, shoot me a private message with your VIN, contact information, vehicle mileage and preferred dealership name. I can assist further from that point!

To learn more about GM’s privacy policy, please visit https://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html.

Amber G.
Chevrolet Customer Care

I agree that there are issues with the XM radio turning on when the vehicle is started, even when the vehicle has been shut down with the radio off or with a different source selected. Let me do some more methodical testing so I can better describe reproducible scenarios, and I will contact the infotainment support phone posted in this thread. Whether or not they can resolve or comment, I will try to post back to this thread or DM the chevy rep who is posting in this thread. (Thanks, and glad to have you here, by the way!)

rcrcr said:
I agree that there are issues with the XM radio turning on when the vehicle is started, even when the vehicle has been shut down with the radio off or with a different source selected. Let me do some more methodical testing so I can better describe reproducible scenarios, and I will contact the infotainment support phone posted in this thread. Whether or not they can resolve or comment, I will try to post back to this thread or DM the chevy rep who is posting in this thread. (Thanks, and glad to have you here, by the way!)

I'm happy to be here, rcrcr! If you're also seeing this happen with your Infotainment system, please do feel free to send us the information you gather. The more details we can collect (such as when, what settings were left on/off, and even videos/photos) the better.

If you'd like to send us the necessary information via email (sometimes this is easier when sending photo/videos), please reach out to us at [email protected].

Warm Wishes,

Amber G.
Chevrolet Customer Care

I'm also having problems w/ the radio.

1. The mute button will only mute the audio temporarily.
2. The XM radio will change stations randomly.
3. Sometimes the favorite stations will reorder itself on start-up.

I plan on taking it to the dealership to have it looked at but if you guys are tracking issues based on this forum, you should add this to your list.

thorin78 said:

I plan on taking it to the dealership to have it looked at but if you guys are tracking issues based on this forum, you should add this to your list.

Please let us know how your appointment goes, thorin78. I've documented your comments here with my technical liaisons, but I'd like to make sure that your dealership was able to address your concerns.

Feel free to let us know over this forum, via private message or email at [email protected].

Best,

Amber G.
Chevrolet Customer Care

JHawk said:
Thanks

This is my first question I had when I got my bolt and I still can't make it shut up!

In a similar vein, I listen nearly all my media through my iphone (podcasts, audiobooks, spotify music). When I unplug my phone don't switch to radio, switch to silence! This should at least be an option!

Given what a large percentage of software we have in the infotainment system this should be fixable, if it is not possible now!

Other than the fact that the radio plays when I start the car and when I unplug my iphone, I'm loving my new Chevy Bolt!

funkyj said:
JHawk said:
Thanks

This is my first question I had when I got my bolt and I still can't make it shut up!

In a similar vein, I listen nearly all my media through my iphone (podcasts, audiobooks, spotify music). When I unplug my phone don't switch to radio, switch to silence! This should at least be an option!

Given what a large percentage of software we have in the infotainment system this should be fixable, if it is not possible now!

Other than the fact that the radio plays when I start the car and when I unplug my iphone, I'm loving my new Chevy Bolt!

My Premier is doing EXACTLY the same thing. Radio frequently turns on with the car (but not ALL the time), even if it was OFF when the car was powered off. Also, the radio turns itself on the moment I unplug my iPhone as well. (Hey! Nobody asked you to do that, radio!)

It doesn't seem to matter whether my phone is unplugged when shutting down the car, or connected when starting up the car; the radio just decides to come on with the car...most times. I have NOT experimented with putting my phone in "Airplane Mode" to see if it has anything to do with Bluetooth pairing.

rybolt said:
funkyj said:
JHawk said:
Thanks

My Premier is doing EXACTLY the same thing. Radio frequently turns on with the car (but not ALL the time), even if it was OFF when the car was powered off. Also, the radio turns itself on the moment I unplug my iPhone as well. (Hey! Nobody asked you to do that, radio!)

It doesn't seem to matter whether my phone is unplugged when shutting down the car, or connected when starting up the car; the radio just decides to come on with the car...most times. I have NOT experimented with putting my phone in "Airplane Mode" to see if it has anything to do with Bluetooth pairing.

Hi rybolt,

If you'd like, we can definitely get this looked at further by your dealership and our internal teams. If this is something we can do for you, please send a private message with your VIN, contact information, vehicle mileage and servicing dealership name.

To review GM's privacy policy, please visit https://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html.

Once I get those details, we can proceed accordingly!

Warm Wishes,

Amber G.
Chevrolet Customer Care

ChevyCustomerCare said:
thorin78 said:

Please let us know how your appointment goes, thorin78. I've documented your comments here with my technical liaisons, but I'd like to make sure that your dealership was able to address your concerns.

Feel free to let us know over this forum, via private message or email at [email protected].

Best,

Amber G.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Hi Amber,
The car was dropped off on 3/9 afternoon. I was informed on Monday 3/13 that they were able to reproduce the issue, although it is still random, but they've contacted GM tech to find a solution. I'm hoping it is an easy fix like switching out a component. If you need information on which dealership and so on, please pm me.

Thanks.

thorin78 said:

#3 seems to be related to Keypass/Bluetooth.

I did a writeup here about it:
http://www.mychevybolt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5723&p=15837#p15851

Curious if this has been fixed. I can't figure out how to shut mine off so it doesn't give me a jump scare when i start the car :eek:

My other issue is that in CarPlay, Spotify will only show two screens of Artists, Playlists or Songs. Sometimes, if I unplug the iPhone, I can scroll through all the Artists, etc., but it seems like a bug.

I even went to the Apple store and purchased one of their super expensive cables.

Minor issues compared to how much we're enjoying the Bolt.

deancameron said:
Curious if this has been fixed. I can't figure out how to shut mine off so it doesn't give me a jump scare when i start the car :eek:

My other issue is that in CarPlay, Spotify will only show two screens of Artists, Playlists or Songs. Sometimes, if I unplug the iPhone, I can scroll through all the Artists, etc., but it seems like a bug.

I even went to the Apple store and purchased one of their super expensive cables.

Minor issues compared to how much we're enjoying the Bolt.

Hi deancameron,

When you have a moment, please shoot me your VIN, contact information, vehicle mileage and servicing dealership name via private message. I can then have them run some testing on your Bolt EV and help resolve your radio start/CarPlay concerns.

To review GM's privacy policy, please visit https://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html.

Hope to hear from you soon!

Amber G.
Chevrolet Customer Care

I have this same issue. It's a bit annoying to turn on the car and have the radio turn on loud with a sleeping infant in the back =)

I truly appreciate Amber's initiative on reaching out to test a Bolt specifically, but I think this may be universal (or at least widespread) issue at the moment.

Xelus said:
I have this same issue. It's a bit annoying to turn on the car and have the radio turn on loud with a sleeping infant in the back =)

I can see how this would be displeasing, Xelus. I just replied to your post on another thread, but I wanted to reach out about this as well. If you could send my team a quick private message, I'd like to discuss this radio concern further.

I'll keep an eye out for your message!

Lauren E.
Chevrolet Customer Care

I also want to voice my displeasure with being forced to play the radio whenever I turn on the car. This is an extremely questionable decision to force a distraction on the driver especially when distracted driving is a major cause of accidents. I currently work around this by leaving an aux cable plugged in and setting the source to AUX. The radio still turns on but nothing plays to annoy me. Chevy should really update the Infotainment system to allow an option to NOT turn on the radio when the car is started.

stuartm said:
I currently work around this by leaving an aux cable plugged in and setting the source to AUX. The radio still turns on but nothing plays to annoy me.

Hmm, I'll have to try that. Thanks for the idea.

Another workaround is to set XM to channel 0, which seems to be a silent channel. Problem is that this doesn't always stick. GM really should implement a source selection of "none", and not only remember this choice across car starts, but also be allowed to be made the default if a previously-used source (i.e.: Caraplay or Bluetooth audio) becomes unavailable.

stuartm said:
I also want to voice my displeasure with being forced to play the radio whenever I turn on the car. This is an extremely questionable decision to force a distraction on the driver especially when distracted driving is a major cause of accidents. I currently work around this by leaving an aux cable plugged in and setting the source to AUX. The radio still turns on but nothing plays to annoy me. Chevy should really update the Infotainment system to allow an option to NOT turn on the radio when the car is started.

Hi stuartm,

If you could send me an email at [email protected], I'd like to discuss your concerns with the current radio operation of your Bolt EV. Please be sure to put "ATTN: Amber - Radio Concern" in the subject line of that email, and include your VIN, vehicle mileage, contact info and preferred dealer name within the body.

Looking forward to hearing from you,

Amber G.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Back