thorin78
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:43 am

Car Wash Mode

Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:46 pm

Hello again,
On page 208 of the manual, it details the procedure for car wash mode while the vehicle is either on or off.
Could you please clarify why the door needs to be open?

Normally, if I'm driving into a car wash, i'm in D (Drive) and then move into the track. Do I then need to open the door and shift into N (Neutral)? It seems the car can shift into N without the door being open.
Does opening the door and then shifting to N tell the car to not shift into P while it's in the car wash on the track?
Once the indicator is in N, should I close the door and let off the brake? Or were the instructions written with the expectation of the driver leaving the car? If so, are the keys expected to be left inside the car or taken with the driver?

Thank you.

User avatar
ChevyCustomerCare
Posts: 140
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:54 pm
Location: Detroit, MI
Contact: Website Facebook Twitter

Re: Car Wash Mode

Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:43 pm

thorin78 wrote:Hello again,
On page 208 of the manual, it details the procedure for car wash mode while the vehicle is either on or off.
Could you please clarify why the door needs to be open?

Normally, if I'm driving into a car wash, i'm in D (Drive) and then move into the track. Do I then need to open the door and shift into N (Neutral)? It seems the car can shift into N without the door being open.
Does opening the door and then shifting to N tell the car to not shift into P while it's in the car wash on the track?
Once the indicator is in N, should I close the door and let off the brake? Or were the instructions written with the expectation of the driver leaving the car? If so, are the keys expected to be left inside the car or taken with the driver?

Thank you.


Hi thorin78!

I'll reach out to some of my contacts and try to get you more clarification in regards to this mode and your questions. Once I have more information for you, I'll let you know here!

Amber G.
Chevrolet Customer Care
We can also be reached at (800) 222-1020 and socialmedia@gm.com.

Check us out on FB & TW!
https://facebook.com/ChevroletElectric
https://twitter.com/ChevyElectric

For information on the GM Privacy Statement, please visit http://www.gm.com/privacy.

User avatar
ChevyCustomerCare
Posts: 140
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:54 pm
Location: Detroit, MI
Contact: Website Facebook Twitter

Re: Car Wash Mode

Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:29 pm

Good morning thorin78,

As promised, I just wanted to follow up in regards to your inquiry here. According to my internal teams, the only time you need to open the door and press the brake to shift to neutral is if you need to put the car into neutral when the vehicle is off. If you drive into a car wash and remain in the vehicle with the vehicle still on, you can leave it on and put it into neutral as normal and it will be fine. If the car is off, the electronic shift will not go into neutral unless you follow the steps in the owner’s manual.

Let me know if you have additional questions,

Amber G.
Chevrolet Customer Care
We can also be reached at (800) 222-1020 and socialmedia@gm.com.

Check us out on FB & TW!
https://facebook.com/ChevroletElectric
https://twitter.com/ChevyElectric

For information on the GM Privacy Statement, please visit http://www.gm.com/privacy.

thorin78
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:43 am

Re: Car Wash Mode

Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:35 pm

ChevyCustomerCare wrote:Good morning thorin78,

As promised, I just wanted to follow up in regards to your inquiry here. According to my internal teams, the only time you need to open the door and press the brake to shift to neutral is if you need to put the car into neutral when the vehicle is off. If you drive into a car wash and remain in the vehicle with the vehicle still on, you can leave it on and put it into neutral as normal and it will be fine. If the car is off, the electronic shift will not go into neutral unless you follow the steps in the owner’s manual.

Let me know if you have additional questions,

Amber G.
Chevrolet Customer Care


Thank you for responding so quickly. I do appreciate the clarity. It seems now that the instruction manual states the procedure differently for when the vehicle is on. See the attachment for the procedure for Vehicle On.
Could you please verify if this is the right method for taking the car into an automated car wash with an attendant putting the car on the track.
Vehicle On and on track
1. While pressing the brake, shift to N (Neutral)
2. The indicator should now show N. If it does not, select N (Neutral) again.
3. Open the door, driver may step away from the car and leave Keys in the vehicle.
4. Close the door
5. Open the door and shift into P (Park upon returning to the vehicle.

For step 3, I remember that the dealer showed me that the car will shift to Park and turn on the Parking brake if the door is opened while in motion. Will the car do this if it's following this procedure as written above which is a slight expansion of the procedure for vehicle on stated in the manual?

Thank you.
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (84.28 KiB) Viewed 2705 times

User avatar
ChevyCustomerCare
Posts: 140
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:54 pm
Location: Detroit, MI
Contact: Website Facebook Twitter

Re: Car Wash Mode

Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:07 pm

thorin78 wrote:
Thank you for responding so quickly. I do appreciate the clarity. It seems now that the instruction manual states the procedure differently for when the vehicle is on. See the attachment for the procedure for Vehicle On.
Could you please verify if this is the right method for taking the car into an automated car wash with an attendant putting the car on the track.
Vehicle On and on track
1. While pressing the brake, shift to N (Neutral)
2. The indicator should now show N. If it does not, select N (Neutral) again.
3. Open the door, driver may step away from the car and leave Keys in the vehicle.
4. Close the door
5. Open the door and shift into P (Park upon returning to the vehicle.

For step 3, I remember that the dealer showed me that the car will shift to Park and turn on the Parking brake if the door is opened while in motion. Will the car do this if it's following this procedure as written above which is a slight expansion of the procedure for vehicle on stated in the manual?

Thank you.


Hi thorin78,

It's my pleasure! I'm happy to help provide whatever clarification I can. If you are remaining in the vehicle through the car wash, just put it into neutral as normal and ride through the car wash, no need to open the door.

If the car needs to be in neutral and no one will be in the vehicle, like in the case of an attendant, you need to do the following steps to make sure that the car does not force “Park” when you exit the vehicle.

1) You need to open the door before putting it into neutral
2) Shift into neutral
3) You can now exit and it will remain in neutral.

Hope this helps!

Amber G.
Chevrolet Customer Care
We can also be reached at (800) 222-1020 and socialmedia@gm.com.

Check us out on FB & TW!
https://facebook.com/ChevroletElectric
https://twitter.com/ChevyElectric

For information on the GM Privacy Statement, please visit http://www.gm.com/privacy.

bill565
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:51 am

Re: Car Wash Mode

Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:44 pm

But surely it's the attendant who will be driving the car at this point (from the interior clean section to the car wash itself) and it seems a stretch to expect the attendant to consult the manual. If they don't follow the correct procedure then it sounds as though the car could shift from neutral to park in the middle of the wash. That sounds bad.

bill565
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:51 am

Re: Car Wash Mode

Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:24 pm

Is there any Chevy reply to this last point? The full service car washes I'm familiar with require the car to be left at a station where the interior is cleaned. An attendant then drives the car to the automated car wash and exits the car leaving it in N. The car wash then moves the car through the car wash. The attendant obviously isn't going to read the manual. They will just assume that if the car is in N when they exit the car then it will stay in N through the car wash. It sounds as though there's some sort of door/gear shift sequence which, if performed incorrectly, might lead to the car to shift back from N to P. Is that right? If so it sounds bad. Could you let me know if my understanding is correct? If so I think that means I can't use a full service car wash where an attendant drives the car to the wash section. Not the worst thing in the world but I'd just like to know whether this is something I should be concerned about or not. Thanks.

User avatar
ChevyCustomerCare
Posts: 140
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:54 pm
Location: Detroit, MI
Contact: Website Facebook Twitter

Re: Car Wash Mode

Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:05 pm

bill565 wrote:Is there any Chevy reply to this last point? The full service car washes I'm familiar with require the car to be left at a station where the interior is cleaned. An attendant then drives the car to the automated car wash and exits the car leaving it in N. The car wash then moves the car through the car wash. The attendant obviously isn't going to read the manual. They will just assume that if the car is in N when they exit the car then it will stay in N through the car wash. It sounds as though there's some sort of door/gear shift sequence which, if performed incorrectly, might lead to the car to shift back from N to P. Is that right? If so it sounds bad. Could you let me know if my understanding is correct? If so I think that means I can't use a full service car wash where an attendant drives the car to the wash section. Not the worst thing in the world but I'd just like to know whether this is something I should be concerned about or not. Thanks.


Hi bill565,

Please accept my apologies for the delayed response. I reached out to one of my internal contacts late last week in regards to your inquiry, and am still waiting on that response/information. I'll post again within this thread, once I have more information for you!

Best,

Amber G.
Chevrolet Customer Care
We can also be reached at (800) 222-1020 and socialmedia@gm.com.

Check us out on FB & TW!
https://facebook.com/ChevroletElectric
https://twitter.com/ChevyElectric

For information on the GM Privacy Statement, please visit http://www.gm.com/privacy.

bobpenn
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:58 pm

Re: Car Wash Mode

Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:54 pm

I, too am very confused by the instructions in the user's manual, because they don't seem to reflect the real world.

Here is the step by step which happens at the car washes I have gone to with a ICE car:

1) I drive the car up a station and put the car in park (normally) and turn the engine off, Leave the keys in the car.
2) Attendent opens the door and vaccums the car.
3) Attendant starts the car and drives it to the car wash tracks.
4) They put the car in neutral and (I assume) turn off the engine (but maybe not?), and get out of the car
5) At the end, they jump back into the car and drive it off to dry the car by hand.

So with the instructions in the manual, the process would appear to fall apart between steps 1) and 2)? Or certainly at step 3).

thorin78
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:43 am

Re: Car Wash Mode

Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:14 am

bobpenn wrote:I, too am very confused by the instructions in the user's manual, because they don't seem to reflect the real world.

Here is the step by step which happens at the car washes I have gone to with a ICE car:

1) I drive the car up a station and put the car in park (normally) and turn the engine off, Leave the keys in the car.
2) Attendent opens the door and vaccums the car.
3) Attendant starts the car and drives it to the car wash tracks.
4) They put the car in neutral and (I assume) turn off the engine (but maybe not?), and get out of the car
5) At the end, they jump back into the car and drive it off to dry the car by hand.

So with the instructions in the manual, the process would appear to fall apart between steps 1) and 2)? Or certainly at step 3).


1. Yes, but generally you're talking to an attendant about what type of car wash you'd like.
2. Yup, same
3. Yup, same. but I've seen them drive the car w/ the door open so that they can get out of the vehicle quicker. This is where it falls apart kind of.
4. Depending on the station, the engine may or may not be turned off. And depending on if the attendant had the door open at the time the car is driven onto the track and put it into neutral. So you either have to be watching or whatever.
5. Yup, same.

So in my view, I either need to tell the attendant the procedure before he gets out of the car, or offer to drive the car onto the track.

Ya, it's more of an inconvenience because of the safety feature of the car putting itself into Park if the doors are open but I think safety is important.

It certainly would have been more helpful for the manual to clarify this particular procedure because much like the fine print, no one reads the manual. There should be a PSA on NPR as much as those ads about NPR brought to you by the new Chevy Bolt. Even my service manager didn't know there was this procedure.

Return to “Ask Chevrolet”