bill565

Re: Car Wash Mode

Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:14 pm

Amber, do you have an update on this yet? I'd like to know whether it is safe to use a full service car wash or not. What happens when an attendant doesn't correctly follow the precise sequence of steps necessary to safely put the car in N.

gpsman

Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:29 am

Simple-

Explain this is a one of a kind car and stay with it.
Stay in the driver's seat. Stay in Control.

That is what I have done two times.
Once in N.Calif and once in S. Calif.

No special procedure since your butt stays on the weight sensor and your driver door does not open.

Easy peazy. Just shift into N at the approprite time.
Behaves like any other car.

-John

ChevyCustomerCare

Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:31 pm

bill565 wrote:Amber, do you have an update on this yet? I'd like to know whether it is safe to use a full service car wash or not. What happens when an attendant doesn't correctly follow the precise sequence of steps necessary to safely put the car in N.

Apologies for the delay, bill565. We did receive an update from our internal resources today. They've stated that in order for the car to remain in Neutral without someone in the driver’s seat, the driver will need to have the door open when shifting to Neutral. You can then get out and close the door, but the car must remain on. You will have to explain this to the attendant if you believe they are unfamiliar with this.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to let us know.

Have a great weekend,
Lauren E.
Chevrolet Customer Care
We can also be reached at (800) 222-1020 and socialmedia@gm.com.

Check us out on FB & TW!
https://facebook.com/ChevroletElectric
https://twitter.com/ChevyElectric

For information on the GM Privacy Statement, please visit http://www.gm.com/privacy.

ChevyCustomerCare

Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:44 pm

bobpenn wrote:I, too am very confused by the instructions in the user's manual, because they don't seem to reflect the real world.

Here is the step by step which happens at the car washes I have gone to with a ICE car:

1) I drive the car up a station and put the car in park (normally) and turn the engine off, Leave the keys in the car.
2) Attendent opens the door and vaccums the car.
3) Attendant starts the car and drives it to the car wash tracks.
4) They put the car in neutral and (I assume) turn off the engine (but maybe not?), and get out of the car
5) At the end, they jump back into the car and drive it off to dry the car by hand.

So with the instructions in the manual, the process would appear to fall apart between steps 1) and 2)? Or certainly at step 3).

Hi bobpenn,

We just replied at the end of this thread with some additional insight from our internal resources. Please feel free to review this at your convenience, and follow up with us if you have any questions.

Kindly,
Lauren E.
Chevrolet Customer Care
We can also be reached at (800) 222-1020 and socialmedia@gm.com.

Check us out on FB & TW!
https://facebook.com/ChevroletElectric
https://twitter.com/ChevyElectric

For information on the GM Privacy Statement, please visit http://www.gm.com/privacy.

flamaest

Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:09 pm

Agreed, either STAY in your car, in control, or DO NOT go to a full service car wash; or just take it to the dealer.

My dealer will wash and detail my Bolt for free for the first 2 years; too bad they are 60 miles away.

bobpenn

Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:14 pm

I agree. The practical option is to go to a 100% manual car wash. Or, dare I say it .. wash it oneself (I am too lazy!).

kofther

Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:56 am

Glad I saw this article. The car wash I go to in SoCal does not let you stay in the car and there is no way the attendant will follow these steps.

I found a high-rated mobile wash company that will come to me. Folks loved them on Yelp and just a few dollars more.

This forum is a great source of info. Thanks.

-kof

thorin78

Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:27 am

From what I've observed, most of the attendants that drive the car into the car wash essentially have the car door open while driving. So maybe we'll get lucky and the car will be switched to N while the door is already open after the attendant drives it onto the belt.
fingers crossed.

bill565

Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:32 pm

Lauren,

Thanks for clarifying this. For me this means I can't use my usual local full service car wash. Annoying but not a disaster.

But for the wider Bolt customer community this doesn't sound so good. There probably aren't too many customers who read the manual in enough detail (if at all) to catch this subtlety. As a result I would imagine there will be plenty of customers who assume they can drop off the Bolt at the car wash just the same as they have done with all their previous cars. I'm not sure what the implications are if (or rather when) an attendant doesn't follow the proper procedure but if there is damage involved you may have some very unhappy customers. I guess you can argue that the customer should have studied the manual and you might be correct legally but this kind of issue isn't likely to foster customer satisfaction or loyalty.

Might be worth checking with the appropriate design folk to see if this should be fixed at some point (preferably soon).

thorin78

Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:33 am

So this morning, I had the car washed and I will just say that while the instructions were confusing as written, the procedure is very very easy for the attendant to NOT screw up.

I put the car into neutral from Drive with doors closed. Then I opened the door. At this point I still had the brakes pressed. As soon as I let off the brakes, the car put itself into Park and you can definitely feel that with the car and the notification from the instrument cluster. Then with the door open, I put the car back into neutral and it stayed in neutral.

I explained the procedure to the attendant that was vacuuming and was going to move my car onto the track and he also performed it without any issue.

So I think for GM, the solution is to write the procedure more clearly on the manual (no recall necessary) and make sure people can easily understand what would happen.

Return to “Ask Chevrolet”