March Infotainment update

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grestep5621

There were some minor problems with the Infotainment software on my Bolt purchased in January 2017 and I had the dealer install the update which fixed a lot of minor problems. My question is how do I as a consumer know that future updates are available. There are no recall notices as these updates aren't safety issues. Is there a way to register to get notices of software updates for Infotainment. As I understand it, the actual Bolt software that is not part of Infotainment gets updates over the air and I have turned on the feature to download those updates in the background. That doesn't apply to Infotainment updates which require dealer service. Please note this is not new to Chevrolet as I had Infotainment on my Equinox and faced the same issue with updates. However, the Equinox went in for routine oil changes and while it was there the technicians could check the Infotainment software and update it. The Bolt doesn't have any reason to routinely bring it in for maintenance. I realize that registering for updates might be a logistical problem, but maybe a simple posting of when a new Infotainment software update is available would help. I did try Onstar each time I had issues with Infotainment, but it appears that they can't see the software levels and can only see if there is an error code that might be an issue.

That said, the March Infotainment update did improve my Bolt experience greatly. I get bluetooth connections reliably now. The Infotainment screen doesn't go gray. The clock is accurate. This is a great update.

Actually, I assume the over-the-air updates will primarily (perhaps, only) be used to update the infotainment system. GM just isn't quite ready to do remote updates yet.

JeffN said:
Actually, I assume the over-the-air updates will primarily (perhaps, only) be used to update the infotainment system. GM just isn't quite ready to do remote updates yet.

Nope. I have an early Bolt with the infotainment issues and an appointment next week to get it updated. I keep checking for over-the-air updates and I has not changed from version 13.4. The update many on this forum have had installed is 14.1.

A "Check for Updates" feature which falsely reports "Your software is up to date" might be worse than not having the feature at all, in my opinion.

My information is that Infotainment updates will not be delivered over the air. Only Bolt software which affects other components of the car like power and acceleration settings will be delivered in that manner. So that means that if you have a Infotainment issue you have to return to the dealer. Please note that this is the way it has always been with Infotainment. I had a problem with Navigation and every time I entered an specific address the unit would freeze and it spent 2 days at the dealer diagnosing and testing the fix for the Infotainment unit. Also GPS mistakes in Nav and other problems resulted in many infotainment updates with trips to dealer. The difference is that I would wait until an oil change to handle the updates and the routine maintenance at the same time. So now I have no routine maintenance and still will be needing to visit the dealer if there are bugs in Infotainment that I want corrected. On my 2014 Equinox with Nav the unit would occasionally say turn left when on the screen it was showing a right turn. I never got a fix for that. Fortunately now with Android Auto I get updates to fix problems from Google. I wish OTA was for Infotainment too, but my information says that it isn't going to happen. I hope my info is incorrect.

Patronus said:
JeffN said:

Nope. I have an early Bolt with the infotainment issues and an appointment next week to get it updated. I keep checking for over-the-air updates and I has not changed from version 13.4. The update many on this forum have had installed is 14.1.
What I said is entirely consistent with people having to go to the dealer for the 14.x infotainment update. GM has an over-the-air feature for the Bolt EV but has not utilized it yet. I believe this is because they are still testing this mechanism. Eventually, likely later this year, they will begin updating the infotainment system over-the-air.

grestep5621 said:
My information is that Infotainment updates will not be delivered over the air. Only Bolt software which affects other components of the car like power and acceleration settings will be delivered in that manner. So that means that if you have a Infotainment issue you have to return to the dealer....

....I wish OTA was for Infotainment too, but my information says that it isn't going to happen. I hope my info is incorrect.
I think you have the situation backwards. The over-the-air update mechanism is intended to update the infotainment system and perhaps other interior display and non-safety-related controls. Updates to things that have safety implications like power and acceleration changes and braking system software and the like will still likely be done at the dealer.

At least that is the impression I have from talking to GM folks at a recent Bolt EV media drive event in California and from past statements quoted in articles during the last couple of years. GM hasn't really gone into much detail about their plans for these remote updates.

I was told that the GM-owned Bolt EVs driven for testing purposes by employees are already getting over-the-air updates but this obviously has not yet been enabled for regular customer cars.

grestep5621 said:
There were some minor problems with the Infotainment software on my Bolt purchased in January 2017 and I had the dealer install the update which fixed a lot of minor problems. My question is how do I as a consumer know that future updates are available. There are no recall notices as these updates aren't safety issues. Is there a way to register to get notices of software updates for Infotainment. As I understand it, the actual Bolt software that is not part of Infotainment gets updates over the air and I have turned on the feature to download those updates in the background. That doesn't apply to Infotainment updates which require dealer service. Please note this is not new to Chevrolet as I had Infotainment on my Equinox and faced the same issue with updates. However, the Equinox went in for routine oil changes and while it was there the technicians could check the Infotainment software and update it. The Bolt doesn't have any reason to routinely bring it in for maintenance. I realize that registering for updates might be a logistical problem, but maybe a simple posting of when a new Infotainment software update is available would help. I did try Onstar each time I had issues with Infotainment, but it appears that they can't see the software levels and can only see if there is an error code that might be an issue.

That said, the March Infotainment update did improve my Bolt experience greatly. I get bluetooth connections reliably now. The Infotainment screen doesn't go gray. The clock is accurate. This is a great update.

Hi grestep21,

I'm really glad to hear that this update helped address your concerns! Please know that with the new capabilities of the Bolt EV, we are looking at future opportunities to upgrade vehicles post-purchase to better the ownership experience for our customers.

If you ever have questions about update availability, we recommend reaching out to your servicing dealership. You can also follow up with us to provide your VIN/dealer name, and we can reach out on your behalf to check!

To review GM's privacy policy, please visit https://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html.

Kindly,

Amber G.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Just to be clear, your answer to the customer's main question :

how do I as a consumer know that future updates are available

Is "regularly call the dealer and ask to see if there are updates available" ?!!!!????

Does the update wipe out your infotainment configuration or charging settings?

I must have spent an hour getting all the settings just right, so I hope this config stays put.

flamaest said:

I must have spent an hour getting all the settings just right, so I hope this config stays put.

I had mine done and everything was still there. A friend of mine got update and his was wiped clean. So I'm not sure.

I reprogrammed mine and it only reset my charging preference. I reset it to off peak only and all
my preferences were still set. I also did my transmission control module and it has corrected the
delayed shifting issue.

I would recommend anyone with a Bolt built before 3-6-17, have all their control modules updated.

I also found an update for the HPCM2. I'll look up the TSB for it and post
it when I find it. My one pedal response feels different near the top of the pedal.
It feels a little more aggressive after updating ALL my control modules :mrgreen:

Found it!

Attachments

• HPCM2.jpg
    HPCM2.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 9,131
Forman said:
flamaest said:
I had mine done and everything was still there. A friend of mine got update and his was wiped clean. So I'm not sure.
It may be that flamaest's service department was clever enough to back up the settings before the update and restore them afterwards. So it's probably a good idea to make a specific point of asking them to preserve the infotainment settings when they do the update.

SeanNelson said:
Forman said:
flamaest said:
It may be that flamaest's service department was clever enough to back up the settings before the update and restore them afterwards. So it's probably a good idea to make a specific point of asking them to preserve the infotainment settings when they do the update.

The biggest problem with that is, the time paid to update a module is .3 to .4 tenths of an hour. By the time you get the RO,
find the car, get it into the shop and perform the update, there is just not enough time to do that.

Mine will be updated next week at my dealership, so planning on writing down my settings this weekend. What a pain.... We were promised OTA updates, but I guess not. Model 3 next year for me...

drdiesel1 said:
I would recommend anyone with a Bolt built before 3-6-17, have all their control modules updated.

That's great, but my dealer flatly refuses to perform any such updates, unless I can report a specific, relevant problem that could be addressed by the update.

Can you tell us what issues are caused by the out-of-date control modules?

phil0909 said:
drdiesel1 said:

That's great, but my dealer flatly refuses to perform any such updates, unless I can report a specific, relevant problem that could be addressed by the update.

Read the TSB I posted. Just tell them the red battery light came on. Maybe they would update them if you paid them for there time.
I would think 2 hours to update every module would be about right. That's about the time it took me to do mine.

If you do pay them to do it, make them print and give you the programming code for every module they did. It's proof they did it.
Without that print out, they could just do 1 or 2 and get away with being paid without properly completing the job you paid for.
It has your VIN and the module programmed information on it. If you pay you can ask for these documents. If the won't, go elsewhere.

phil0909 said:
drdiesel1 said:

That's BS. If windows, apple or others have updates you just get it. Seems like a few of the Chevy dealers suck.

Forman said:
That's BS. If windows, apple or others have updates you just get it. Seems like a few of the Chevy dealers suck.

Do some of them not suck? The Bolt is my first GM car. I assumed all Chevy dealers are like mine. :?:

Back