KeyPass

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodturner

It's my understanding from GM customer support that KeyPass only works with iPhones and Samsung Galaxy phones, why is that the case? Several Bolt owners have expressed concern that they are unable to use the functions in their cars because they own other brands, could GM open their software to allow the hook up of other phone manufacturers. My LG will allow me access to bluetooth and all other apps with my Bolt, but not KeyPass. As Bolt owners, we shouldn't need to go out and spend another $700-$800 for another phone so that we can use ALL aspects of the car.

I was able to make it up to getting the QR code, but the KeyPass on the car kept crashing even though the phone app was asking for a passcode (which I don't have). Have tried this multiple times and also tried it with a GM rep on the phone and still wasn't able to make KeyPass work. I have all but given up.

woodturner said:
It's my understanding from GM customer support that KeyPass only works with iPhones and Samsung Galaxy phones, why is that the case?

It is not the case. My google (Nexus 6P) phone is neither an iphone nor a Samsung phone, but has worked with keypass for 5 months now.

Good to know that some are having success. Can anyone give me the password if I can ever get the QR code again?

woodturner said:
Good to know that some are having success. Can anyone give me the password if I can ever get the QR code again?
Each password is unique to each phone. You'll need to attempt to setup things up again. First thing to do would be to delete the Bluetooth pairing of the phone to the Infotainment system, both from the phone and the Infotainment system. Then you should delete the myChevrolet app from the phone and reinstall it. After that re-pair the phone to the Infontainment system and re attempt to setup Keypass. At least that's what I'd do...

I just connected my iPad on the very first try, but regardless of the number of times I delete the mychevy app on my phone, can't get it to connect. It connects to bluetooth just fine, connects to android auto which connects to the car just fine, and can play Pandora just fine, but no KeyPass.

woodturner said:
I just connected my iPad on the very first try, but regardless of the number of times I delete the mychevy app on my phone, can't get it to connect. It connects to bluetooth just fine, connects to android auto which connects to the car just fine, and can play Pandora just fine, but no KeyPass.
Are you trying to setup Keypass while connected to Android Auto? I can easily see how that would confuse things...

No I'm not in Android Auto while I'm trying to do the set up. After way too many tries, I have come to the conclusion that my phone simply will not work. I guess I'll need to rely on my iPad that has no issues with hooking up.

On a sidenote, will the myChevy app work even after I allow Onstar to expire?

I finally got my KeyPass working with my Moto G5 after many days of trying random variations of the official instructions. In case anyone else is interested, here is what worked for me. Not all steps may be needed. But this is what finally worked for me.

Remove Bluetooth connections for the car from both the phone and the car. Uninstall Android auto. Disable Android Auto on the car (It seems to interrupt KeyPass setup). Now run the Bluetooth setup again. Then connect the phone to the car using a USB cable. Without this step, in my case the Chevy app can't even find the car during KeyPass setup. On your phone, enable data transfer for the USB device (By default the phone only tries to charge and doesn't talk to the car through the USB port). Then when I run KeyPass setup, everything runs smoothly. HTH.

I’ve had major issues with KeyPass including car alarm going off and Key Fob not being recognized repeatedly. Since turning KeyPass off, 100% of those problems have gone away. Not really sure what KeyPass is supposed to do that the Key Fob and MyChevrolet app/OnStar don’t do. In my experience, KeyPass is buggy and not worth the hassle.

Hi all,

It is possible to pair an Apple Watch (3) with KeyPass?

This would enable the Apple Watch alone to unlock the doors via bluetooth (and hence not require a cellular connection). I figure this would be much more reliable than using the MyChevrolet app which seems to require cellular (or leaving on the Bolt's WiFi connection by leaving it in accessory mode).

Really, what I want to do is go running with just the Apple Watch and use it to open the door (reliably) on return. I would have the key fob in a RF bag within the car and remove it from the bag to drive the car.

nannup said:
It is possible to pair an Apple Watch (3) with KeyPass?
If you're talking about an Apple Watch alone (i.e., you're not also carrying your iPhone) then I strongly doubt it. KeyPass works with the MyChevrolet app, and unless there's a version of that app that you can install directly onto your Apple Watch then I think you'd be out of luck.

Thanks.

There is a version for the Apple Watch:

http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/home.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2017/jul/0713-chevy-apple-watch.html

There are some comments online that the watch (when alone) uses bluetooth when close by, but I can't find a lot of confirmation. I probably will buy one and find out.

Tetondoc said:
I’ve had major issues with KeyPass including car alarm going off and Key Fob not being recognized repeatedly. Since turning KeyPass off, 100% of those problems have gone away. Not really sure what KeyPass is supposed to do that the Key Fob and MyChevrolet app/OnStar don’t do. In my experience, KeyPass is buggy and not worth the hassle.

I have had the same experience. Keypass didn't do anything new or good for me. My parking space is literally right outside my front door so I noticed my headlights were constantly going on and off all evening.

I disabled keypass. Everything works fine now.

What does keypass do that the keyfob or MyChevy/Onstar doesn't?

SmokingRubber said:
What does keypass do that the keyfob or MyChevy/Onstar doesn't?
I'm guessing the theory is that if you are in an area without cell coverage (and you can't use the app), your phone can still talk to the car via bluetooth.
And bluetooth should be quicker than a full cellphone network transaction..

Of course, being stable and not causing more problems would be nice.. ;-)

desiv

For anyone else trying to get KeyPass setup and working this is what worked for me...

http://www.mychevybolt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=6771

In my case, when I run the setup keypass, the app reports that my phone doesn't support Blue Tooth Low Energy mode, and that's the end of the set-up.

However, my Motorola Droid Turbo, Android 6.01, actually works fine with Blue Tooth Low Energy mode. The app is drain bamaged.

Back