Possible to disable rear heated seats?

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

btmspox

We have two children in car seats in the back of our Bolt that like pushing buttons, is there any technological way to disable the rear heated seats so they don't needlessly use power back there?

I was hoping that the power window lock button would also happen to disable the rear heated seats but that doesn't seem to be the case. Another interesting happenstance would have been if the child door locks disabled the rear heated seats, but that doesn't happen. Any chance a future option could be added to the vehicle settings in the infotainment system?

Pulling the fuse would probably also disable the front heaters. You'd have to add a disconnect switch under the dashboard for the rear seat power cable.

Yeah, ideally I don't disassemble the car. The owners manual just shows "seat module front" and "seat module rear" fuses, nothing specifically for heated seats. If that rear module was for heated seats, I'd imagine the same module was used for the rear occupancy sensor. I'd be fine with losing the 'check rear set for children you're mildly aware of' warning. But there's a chance the computer could be mad about losing the module given that we're talking about possible electronics not just a box of relays. I guess I could try the fuse.

Anyway, still seems like a useful vehicle setting.

The power usage of the heated seats will be minor at best. We're talking maybe 250 watts per seat.

The bigger issue, of course, is children playing with buttons needlessly, and possibly injuring themselves due to leaving the seat heater on. You can get first-degree burns from seat heaters if you are not careful, and we all know how careful children can be...

Ideally a switch to remotely disable the seat heaters would be best, either an electronic one or a physical dash-switch. Suggest it to GM...

btmspox said:
We have two children in car seats in the back of our Bolt that like pushing buttons, is there any technological way to disable the rear heated seats so they don't needlessly use power back there?
Won't the kids just discover that they don't want the heaters on when their butts get too warm?

SeanNelson said:
Won't the kids just discover that they don't want the heaters on when their butts get too warm?

I'll avoid opining on the validity of statistical data and anecdotal experience, but if you adhere to safety recommendations a kids butt won't be on the seat for 8+ years. You're just heating the car seat that they're sitting on.

https://www.cdc.gov/motorvehiclesafety/child_passenger_safety/cps-factsheet.html

Tell the kids if they turn them on without permission they have to pay you a dollar each time they do it?

Reopening this conversation. Curious if btmspox ever tried pulling the fuse for "Seat module rear" and if so what happened. Was searching for this capability for the same reasons. Also, there's a warning in the manual that says:
Do not place anything on the seat that insulates against heat, such as a blanket, cushion, cover, or similar item. This may cause the seat heater to overheat.

Back