Windshield washer comes on at start up and not otherwise

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geowyn

I really do like the Bolt. Brand new. 400 miles. but since charging last night I have this strange issue: windshield washer comes on when I start up. and then once it stops, I can't get it to come on again by pulling the lever. the rear windshield washer seems to work fine.

I have added this to my agenda for dealer when I bring car in this week to address a problem with microphone (posted about previously).

Has anyone seen this behavior? is there some non-obvious technique for using the washer in the Bolt? it seems very straightforward but not working.

Thanks for any insight!

geowyn said:
and... now it is working correctly. still plan to ask the dealer about it.
I'd suspect a flaky switch in the windshield wiper stalk. I'd give it a good workout to try to shake out any glitches and, if it's an intermittent problem, possibly turn it into a permanent one so that the dealer will be able to positively identify and fix it.

SeanNelson said:
geowyn said:
Thanks Sean! That is helpful. Raining today, but I'll give it a workout anyway.
Let's just hope that it doesn't get stuck in the "off" position!!!
Or you'll be really investing in Rain-X!

But seriously, I have noticed quite a few "It did this really odd thing once" issues that just go away. It's almost like a calibration thing. When it was snowing I had one of my wipers go off center due to pushing hard against snow buildup for a couple of days. At rest the wiper arm was up on the windshield an inch or two. Was going to go to the dealer and have it fixed but then it just went back to normal.
Of course now I am going to be looking at that again this winter to see what it does. It'll still have 2 years on the warranty...

Quick update. The dealer has determined that it is a bad module of some kind that is being replaced. This is one of two electrical problems on the car (the other is a bad communications module).

Back