Bolt as a wifi-only device

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Usain

I'm working today from a coffee shop whose wifi is terrible. So I decide to connect through my Bolt's wifi. This works great!

Only problem is that it seems to shut down after an hour. Does anyone know a way to make this stay up longer, other than leaving the key fob inside the car?

Also, what is the optimal way to conserve power in this scenario? I turned off climate control and powered down infotainment. Anything else?

Some have speculated that the car turns off if it doesn't sense anyone sitting in the seats, and that perhaps a heavy weight in the driver's seat would prevent shut down, but I think I have been sitting in the seat when it shut down before.

PS you stole my nickname for my car. Very clever. :lol:

I can see why Chevy would want to discourage inverter installation, though they should put some engineering effort into making "Bolt as a power source" a supported option.

However, "Bolt as a wifi-only device" is a very legitimate and harmless use of the car as it is today.

Does Chevy still monitor this thread? It would be great to get a response from them.

Usain said:
I can see why Chevy would want to discourage inverter installation, though they should put some engineering effort into making "Bolt as a power source" a supported option.

However, "Bolt as a wifi-only device" is a very legitimate and harmless use of the car as it is today.

Does Chevy still monitor this thread? It would be great to get a response from them.

Chevy has not replied since July, they are fairly active on their FB/twitter...

One possible solution, could you leave one key in the car and a second key in your pocket?

Usain said:
I'm working today from a coffee shop whose wifi is terrible. So I decide to connect through my Bolt's wifi. This works great!

Only problem is that it seems to shut down after an hour. Does anyone know a way to make this stay up longer, other than leaving the key fob inside the car?

Also, what is the optimal way to conserve power in this scenario? I turned off climate control and powered down infotainment. Anything else?

Hi Usain! The only way to keep WiFi running continuously is to have the key fob in the vehicle and in Accessory Mode or with the engine on/running. Shoot me an email at [email protected] if you have additional questions.

Amber G.
Chevrolet Customer Care

ChevyCustomerCare said:
Usain said:

Hi Usain! The only way to keep WiFi running continuously is to have the key fob in the vehicle and in Accessory Mode or with the engine on/running. Shoot me an email at [email protected] if you have additional questions.

Amber G.
Chevrolet Customer Care
On another forum, someone came up with a solution. I haven't tried it yet, but here it is as I remember it:
1. Turn on car
2. Shift to neutral
3. Turn off climate control and put screen in power save mode.
4. Exit through passenger door.
5. Lock the car

Unfortunately, the car can't be plugged in while you do this, but it should keep the wifi going for as long as the battery lasts.

Usain said:
On another forum, someone came up with a solution. I haven't tried it yet, but here it is as I remember it:
1. Turn on car
2. Shift to neutral
5. Lock the car

Unfortunately, the car can't be plugged in while you do this, but it should keep the wifi going for as long as the battery lasts.
According to page 205 of the Owner's Manual (emphasis mine):
If the vehicle is left in P (Park) while running and the Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) transmitter is outside the vehicle, the vehicle will turn off after one hour.

If the vehicle is left in P (Park) while running and the RKE transmitter is inside, the vehicle will run for two hours. At the end of the second hour, the vehicle will turn off.

The timer will reset if the vehicle is taken out of P (Park) while it is running.

SeanNelson said:
Usain said:
1. Turn on car
2. Shift to neutral
5. Lock the car

If the vehicle is left in P (Park) while running and the Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) transmitter is outside the vehicle, the vehicle will turn off after one hour.

If the vehicle is left in P (Park) while running and the RKE transmitter is inside, the vehicle will run for two hours. At the end of the second hour, the vehicle will turn off.

The timer will reset if the vehicle is taken out of P (Park) while it is running.
Right. That's why step #2 says, "shift to neutral". According to someone on the other forum, this allows the wifi to stay on indefinitely (or until the battery runs out - you can't do this while charging).

I still haven't tried it yet myself.

Usain said:
SeanNelson said:
Usain said:
1. Turn on car
2. Shift to neutral...
Right. That's why step #2 says, "shift to neutral". According to someone on the other forum, this allows the wifi to stay on indefinitely (or until the battery runs out - you can't do this while charging).
Oh... interesting - thanks. If you ever get around to trying this it would be nice to know if it actually works or not.

Back