How to turn off "Demonstration Mode"?

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Semilinear

We have been driving the Bolt for almost 2 weeks now and then suddenly since yesterday every time after we start the car, the OnStar voice would say "This vehicle is in Demonstration Mode, provided by OnStar 4G network...". I contacted OnStar twice about how to turn it off, both times were told that the dealer needs to do something about it, not OnStar. I contacted Dealer, was told to first put car in D, turn on the hazard lights, press and hold the Power button for 90 seconds and the car should come out of the Demon mode. But we tried twice and it didn't work. The dealer told me that they would continue to investigate this and call me back when they find a solution. Maybe someone from this forum knows better?

Semilinear said:
We have been driving the Bolt for almost 2 weeks now and then suddenly since yesterday every time after we start the car, the OnStar voice would say "This vehicle is in Demonstration Mode, provided by OnStar 4G network...". I contacted OnStar twice about how to turn it off, both times were told that the dealer needs to do something about it, not OnStar. I contacted Dealer, was told to first put car in D, turn on the hazard lights, press and hold the Power button for 90 seconds and the car should come out of the Demon mode. But we tried twice and it didn't work. The dealer told me that they would continue to investigate this and call me back when they find a solution. Maybe someone from this forum knows better?

It sounds like neither your dealer, nor OnStar knew much about OnStar. I had the same question after buying my Bolt, and finally just did a web search to find the answer. For anyone else who has this question, just get in your Bolt, make yourself comfortable, turn on the car, press the OnStar button, and have a conversation with an OnStar rep.

Once you start your free trial, the "demonstration mode" message will be history. You can activate the 3-month trial without even providing a credit card number, which is pretty risk free (no need to remember to cancel later).

I never use the service myself except for the wireless hotspot, which can come in handy. Right now I get better internet access in my car than at home, although OnStar's access is metered so I don't use it for streaming. When our home internet went down a couple days ago, I was able to access the Bolt's hotspot from several rooms of the house (its range is given at 50 feet, but walls reduce that significantly), and it worked pretty well. I may even extend the wireless plan when the trial is up.

GoldenZephyr said:
It sounds like neither your dealer, nor OnStar knew much about OnStar....

Yeah, it's really odd that no one really knows the car well!

For any new owner who might have this issue again - don't get confused by the car's "Transportation Mode" and OnStar's "Demonstration Mode".

Back