Battery Preservation 70% Charge

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todd

Is there a way to set the max charge to 70% (or some other number below 90% as in Hill Top Reserve on)? I will rarely need a full charge and don't want to charge up to 90%. Thanks.

Todd said:
Is there a way to set the max charge to 70% (or some other number below 90% as in Hill Top Reserve on)? I will rarely need a full charge and don't want to charge up to 90%. Thanks.

No. Just establish what percent charge your charging station adds per hour, and unplug at the correct time. Don't obsess over 70%, though, especially in Winter. Your best bet might be to charge to the Hilltop reserve, then not recharge again for a few days until it gets down below the level at which you are comfortable with the range...

This can be done manually if you know when you are going to depart.

For example, I charge at work. I know that I leave at 5. I set the car up for departure time charging, to be done at 9pm. When I unplug at 5, the car is at 60-65% charged, which is more than enough for my round-trip commute and evening errands.

Chevy says that the car takes about 9.5 hours to charge from empty-full (assuming 32A/240V charging). I just round that to 10 hours, or 10% per hour. So by setting the end time at 4 hours past my actual departure time, it still has 40% left to charge. YMMV depending on your voltage and current at your EVSE. Start with 10%/hr and play around with it from there.

Of course, all of this is moot if you have a schedule that varies. GM simply didn't give us the option to charge up to anything other than 90% (Hilltop Reserve) or Full.

PInging to get answer from Chevy, I want to be able to leave it plugged in so the battery can take care of itself. Please respond (Chevy not others) regarding whether or not this can be done and whether or not someone is considering adding it as a way to give the owners what they want.

You can not believe us if you want, but there is no way to do it now, and it's very unlikely that GM is working on a way to get their EPA range estimate lowered, as happened to Nissan when they offered the 80% charge limit in 2013.

Back