Front Camera Display Bug

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alevek

There seems to be a bug in the firmware for the front camera display. This manifests itself in at least two conditions:

1. Shift from Park to Drive. Select front camera view. Drive forward, When speed goes over the camera display limit ( I think it's 5 mph) the screen goes dark. Pressing the Home key will restore the display. Worst case, press Home and FF to reboot center screen.

2. From Reverse with Rear camera display on, shift to Drive. Display changes to Front camera display. Front Camera display remains active even above speed limit (can't attach photo with front camera display on at 37 mph, file too large?). Requires center screen reboot to restore normal display.

Note that neither of these conditions impact the Instrument cluster and therefore do not compromise driver safety. Actually, it would be great to enable the selection of either camera at any speed. There are situations where that would improve safety, e.g. windshield becomes obscured by object impact, etc.

P,S. really enjoying the Bolt!

My screen always switches to normal home view above a couple miles per hour. I've had the front camera come on when I'm doing some kind of back and forth maneuver or even when I'm backing out of a parking spot. But it always cuts the camera feed once I get going.

Is there a firmware update available for your car? Someone here said just connecting to your home wifi isn't enough to trigger an update. Read this: http://www.chevybolt.org/forum/9-2017-chevy-bolt-ev-general-discussion-forum/21610-software-update-today.html

I'm pretty sure this was one of the issues that was fixed in software version 14.1.0. The solution is to take the car to the dealer service department and tell them what the problem is so that they can install the latest software.

alevek said:
Car shows it has the latest software 14.1.0
OK. Well it's still worth taking it in to the dealer because 14.1.0 is no longer the most recent version of software, it may be that the new version fixes this problem.

I updated the Radio module to 14.4.2 and that seems to have fixed the problem. Nice new feature allows the camera to be turned on any time while below 5 mph.

alevek said:
I updated the Radio module to 14.4.2 and that seems to have fixed the problem. Nice new feature allows the camera to be turned on any time while below 5 mph.
That's not a new feature - I do it all the time and my car is on software version 14.1.0.

SeanNelson said:
alevek said:
That's not a new feature - I do it all the time and my car is on software version 14.1.0.

Are you sure? In 14.1.0 I first had to shift to reverse before the camera became available.

alevek said:
SeanNelson said:
alevek said:

Are you sure? In 14.1.0 I first had to shift to reverse before the camera became available.
You can turn the camera on from the app page (the one you get by pressing the "4 dots in a circle" icon) whether you're going forward or backward, as long as you're going slower than about 5 mph.

SeanNelson said:
alevek said:
SeanNelson said:

You can turn the camera on from the app page (the one you get by pressing the "4 dots in a circle" icon) whether you're going forward or backward, as long as you're going slower than about 5 mph.

I know that. If you start the car, stay in Park. the camera icon is grayed out until you shift out of park. With 14.4.2 the camera icon is available even in Park.

Back