Infotainment Software 14.1.0 to 14.4.2

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Forman

I had a couple problems with the infotainment system. I noticed in the forums that people updated their software. I call the local dealership and asked if they have done that before and can they do mine. I got there and the guy asked tons of questions about what it was doing. I could not remember the problems I had before cause it was some random things. So I said I locks up all the time. I told him that they can just the the update and that should be easy. When I can to pick up car they said there was no update found for the car and to make sure phone was up to date and original iphone usb cable.

So at my house I have boat loads of electronics from AV receivers, projector, thermostat and lots more. I get a pop up on devices or email saying there is an available update.

Why does Chevy run you threw the hoops to get an update?

If there’s an update it could correct a potential problem. Just do it and move on.

Anyone?

Sounds like a large part of your issue isn't related to your end question. ;-)

First part..
You have a bad dealer for support. Unfortunately that's not uncommon. But there are a fair amount of people who did what you said and got the update from their dealer. So most of that problem is with your dealer...

As for your question on consumer updates, car manufacturers are pretty slow in that area..
Not totally dead, but slow.. ;-)
Of course, there is Tesla with their OTAs..
Also, I know my wife's Jeep, I can download an update from the web and install it myself for the stereo..
(Although that's a bit safer as the stereo in the Jeep has nothing to do with the car.. The Bolt, the stereo is tied in to other car features also..)

So there are some where you can do that...
(And you can do that with the Bolt, but that's in other threads and not something I think GM is advertising.. ;-) )

I think GM will get there (the fact that the stereo has an option for updates is promising), but they are just being extra cautious..

desiv

When Playstation 3 came out it was in direct competition with the Xbox 360. Those console systems were the first to really be capable of system software updates. Microsoft was naturally more competent at creating operating systems right out the gate. Microsoft opened the world's eyes to the possible functionality in a set top box. Sony's operating system was terrible in comparison, but it had a bunch of games. Up until then, Sony made everything from VCRs and TVs to Walkmans and microwaves, and it ALL operated with it's original software from day one and never needed an update. Nothing really even had an "operating system". Sony had to go out and hire people that knew how to create an operating system.

Similar to today. Tesla is opening the world's eyes to the possibilities of an operating system in a vehicle that continually improves. The big car companies are used to selling a car that works and nothing ever changes after you drive it off the lot. They'll do something if the system is broken but for the most part, there are never any "upgrades" offered. Tesla is changing all that. Tesla is changing the expectations of consumers. I guarantee the Big3 are hiring operating system designers as we speak in a push to catch up with Tesla. Who knows how good they'll be or how fast they'll get there, but simply selling a car that works when you drive it off the lot won't be good enough in the years to come.

There's a link floating around out there that let's you do the update yourself. I did it on Saturday and it worked fine.

You need a USB key formatted to FAT32, then you download the file and unizip it to the root folder. Turn on your car, insert the USB key, and it will see the update and prompt you to start. Takes ~15 min.

Not sure if I'm allowed to post the link, but you can probably google and find it.

I got it done from the link and info floating around the web. It’s just the point that Chevy makes it harder than it should be.

I have V14.1.0 also and wanted the 14.4.2 update because I understand it displays Maps (from Android Auto) to full screen. Same as you, my dealer did not find the update listed for my Bolt. So I contacted GM directly and was told the 14.4.2 update is to fix problems with a version earlier than mine and so mine does not "require" or qualify for the update. Frustrating because while I indeed don't have the earlier version problem that 14.4.2 fixes, I want it for the full display map feature. I guess for now I either download and install it myself or wait until GM offers Over The Air updating.

djhodny said:
I have V14.1.0 also and wanted the 14.4.2 update because I understand it displays Maps (from Android Auto) to full screen. Same as you, my dealer did not find the update listed for my Bolt. So I contacted GM directly and was told the 14.4.2 update is to fix problems with a version earlier than mine and so mine does not "require" or qualify for the update. Frustrating because while I indeed don't have the earlier version problem that 14.4.2 fixes, I want it for the full display map feature. I guess for now I either download and install it myself or wait until GM offers Over The Air updating.
That’s bull crap, these guys are clowns.

Just hung up with service manager from local shop. He said that they plug in the vin number and if it’s says there’s an update they do it. No over riding or way around it. Sounds like GM has something broke.

I walked into my local dealer and told them I wanted the update. He asked why. I said it had "glitched" a couple times. He looked at his schedule and said "how's the 15th?". He said it can take up to 2 hours and it could cook the computer if it's interrupted, and it was already 4pm so the 15th @ 2pm it is.

He didn't ask for my vin number. Just said "we'll take care of you" on the 15th. Easy peezy.

UPDATE: I proceeded to download Infotainment 14.4.2 and installed it as indicated in and earlier reply. Everything went smoothly and I now have V14.4.2, with the full screen used. Android Auto could be improved to make the display better but at least now the full screen is used for maps, etc.

I'd be happy to do the update myself, but google isn't helping me. I googled Bolt V14.4.2 download, added FAT32, and some other variations and I'm not finding anything. Can someone point me toward the page or thread I need to find the download, etc?

Here's the link to the download: https://mega.nz/#!mgZyVZLY!tGpiKZFNU1OCcacgC3clCfP0jz2Z4q873JnRd0YpxWg

I did a search on "chevy bolt infotainment update to 14.4.2". Then picked the link titled "Chevy Bolt 14.4.2 Radio Update SPS download - YouTube" with the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2a6dSjIuKg that brings up the above youtube video showing an update like the dealer would do, with the link to the download below the video. Hope that helps. :)

SmokingRubber said:
Thanks for the link!!!! Very helpful. Has anyone used the file for a sucessful update?

I'm assuming I'm supposed to copy and extract to a clean usb stick? Stick it in and viola?

A member NY -Rob posted these instructions in another Bolt forum, many folks in that thread have posted that they have sucessfuly used the file, the only issues I have read were:
1: not having the vehicle on and the radio timing out and shutting off during update, no harm done, update successful with vehicle on
2: using too large a USB stick, it was not reconized

here were the instructions he posted:
"Unzip file to root of 16Gb USB flash drive
Unplug anything from Bolt USB ports
Power up Bolt
Insert flash drive with update on it
Agree at "do you want to update" prompt on center display
Wait 12min- watch progress bar on center display
"Done" will appear on display, display will shut off in 2-3min
Remove USB flash drive, turn Bolt off, wait 30sec or so, turn Bolt back on... display takes a bit longer to boot first time after update
Confirm you're on 14.4.2

Android Auto now acts like it's a first time connect again- so you need to agree to terms on your phone and Bolt screen.
""

SmokingRubber said:
Thanks for the link!!!! Very helpful. Has anyone used the file for a sucessful update?

I'm assuming I'm supposed to copy and extract to a clean usb stick? Stick it in and viola?

It worked perfectly for me tonight. Main thing is to extract the file on your computer, and copy the contents of the extracted folder into the USB drive. The first time I tried it I failed, because I copied the folder into the USB drive. You have to open the extracted folder, and copy those contents into the USB drive. I then fired up the Bolt, plugged in the drive, and it asked me if I wanted to update. I answered yes, and it took about 12 minutes. It then took a couple of minutes for the system to shut down, and then it rebooted. The reboot was slow the first time as expected. But all is perfect. I hope it solves my flaky bluetooth. We shall see!!

For those of us using CarPlay is there any other significant reason to update? Is there a list of what has been fixed with this version over 14.1.0?

- Dan

followed instructions on this link and did it this weekend:
https://electrek.co/2018/01/12/update-chevy-bolt-ev-firmware/
Exactly as advertised and no problems.
10 minutes to load the thumb drive,
10 minutes to load into the car.

Just had the dealer install this update today. Bluetooth is solid. Keypass still has issues. Overall it seems to be a better release than the previous one I had. However, still has the bug that if you don't get the Bluetooth the first time correctly, you have to power down the car and let it sit until it comes up cold to correctly establish Bluetooth.

I like that it loads Android Auto the first time. I'd constantly have to reconnect the usb cable (usually pulled it from the console instead of the phone because it's easier to do with one hand). I thought it was some kind of glitch in my phone. I like the usefulness of full-screen Waze too.

Back